Latest Member
AKC83
What's New?

MMA Fighter dies cutting weight - 17lbs in 3 days

69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011
You cannot compare the old open weight UFC to todays UFC bro. Completely different sport. The skill levels were all over the place back then. These days the skill levels are much closer. Everyone knows how to kickbox and everyone knows BJJ, wrestling ect. I better comparison would be boxing. There are good reasons why they don't let a 160 lb boxer fight a 200 lb boxer.
Yeah there are. I also threw out a current example of someone that dominated the lhw division that was full of people at least 20lbs heavier than him for a period.

In boxing it's extremely difficult to overcome a height and reach disadvantage. IME more difficult than a weight disadvantage.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
Yeah there are. I also threw out a current example of someone that dominated the lhw division that was full of people at least 20lbs heavier than him for a period.

In boxing it's extremely difficult to overcome a height and reach disadvantage. IME more difficult than a weight disadvantage.

I'll agree with you on the height and reach disadvantage in boxing. It still plays into MMA though especially if you have a good striker who knows how to sprawl. I still think the weight cutting has gotten out of hand. There are lots of things I'd like to see different in MMA and thats just one of them.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
I saw this a couple weeks ago, and they confirmed his death was due to a stroke. Thing is, as far as I know from emergency medicine, dehydration wouldn't be the direct cause of a stroke. He either had a pre-existing illness or something else happened that they aren't releasing or haven't figured out yet. For instance, were there drugs involved etc?

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
I have so much respect for people who cut weight. I've been dehydrated on numerous occasions from training and I feel terrible. And I'm only like this for half an hour or so, these girls and guys hold it over night!

Back in 07, I was driving three team mates and myself to my first submission tournament. One of my friends was in the back seat on the trip, and he had to cut weight for his division. He had started his cut the night before and was depleted and dehydrated. I think he had to cut 10 pounds so it was a good bit. He was well under 200lbs so 10 pounds was quite a bit.

He rode in the back seat during the 100 mile trip like everything was fine. He carried on a conversation completely relaxed the whole trip. I couldn't even tell he was dehydrated.

We got to the high school, we all weighed in, my friend made his weight class and then started to rehydrate. We all had about 4-5 hours before our divisions were up.

It was really impressive to see my friend cut weight and be ready to compete within hours.

I couldn't do that, when I get dehydrated I start freaking out. I've never cut weight, and I really don't think I will. It's too much for me to handle.

I have nothing but respect for anyone who cuts weight.

BLTC

BLTC

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2010
these guys only deplete themselves for the weigh-ins. They fight the next day and are often 10-15lbs heavier by then and ready to brawl

alpha

alpha

VIP Member
May 1, 2012
This is not problem in the sport of mma like some are making it out to be. Weight cutting and controlling your weight is part of the game. A good fighter knows where his strengths/weaknesses/size will be better suited in a given weight class. It is just another aspect of the strategy to mma. 17 pounds in 3 days really isn't all that crazy. If done properly there is very little risk of anything bad happening, the problem is not everyone/every fight camp understands how to properly cut water weight off.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic