Latest Member
AKC83
What's New?

MMA Fighter dies cutting weight - 17lbs in 3 days

69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011
And when most people don't fit in the height AND weight class than what? They need make the weigh-ins the morning of the fight.
Personally I would prefer height classes to weight classes. Your height generally will dictate your class anyway.

Jenner

Friends Remembered
Jan 9, 2012
Cutting weight like that is just plain stupid, if you don't have the discipline to do it properly, you shouldn't be competing.

69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011
not sure what you mean by this????
It means the elite level of a weight class is generally within 2 inches of height and normally if they are shorter they have an abnormally long reach for their height.

There are exceptions but across striking sports it proves mostly true.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
As someone who trains MMA fighters I hate to see this. Sadly it is part of the "game" but it should not be. I have always said I think fighters should be within 10 pounds of their fight weight year rounds and should not be allowed to cut such extreme amounts of weight. Its dangerous and gives certain fighters such as wrestlers an unfair advantage. I remember when Tito used to fight at 205. He would weigh in at 199 and hit the mat at 226. How is that fair to the other guy who is an honest 205?

69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011
As someone who trains MMA fighters I hate to see this. Sadly it is part of the "game" but it should not be. I have always said I think fighters should be within 10 pounds of their fight weight year rounds and should not be allowed to cut such extreme amounts of weight. Its dangerous and gives certain fighters such as wrestlers an unfair advantage. I remember when Tito used to fight at 205. He would weigh in at 199 and hit the mat at 226. How is that fair to the other guy who is an honest 205?

Guys who are an honest 205 tend to be welterweights and about 5'9".

I personally draw the line at the point that you need iv fluids to rehydrate in time.

parttimer

parttimer

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2011
I like the weigh in the day of the fight idea. Guys would be either get their shit together or fall over after one punch.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
I like the weigh in the day of the fight idea. Guys would be either get their shit together or fall over after one punch.

Agreed. I remember talking with Frank Shamrock years ago and him wanting weigh ins one hour before the fight. He almost always came in an honest 199.

@69nites

I hear ya. If I was fighting I'd have to drop down to 55...lol I walk around at 215.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Agreed. I remember talking with Frank Shamrock years ago and him wanting weigh ins one hour before the fight. He almost always came in an honest 199.

They should set up MMA like the IBJJF does with BJJ. You weigh in and than immediately step on the mat for your first match. This keeps everything equal in the sense that people aren't going to make an drastic body weight drops b/c it would lead to a loss and potentially a severe injury from the dehydration.

Last edited:
gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
They should set up MMA like the IBJJF does with BJJ. You weigh in and than immediately step on the mat for your first match. This keeps everything equal in the sense that people aren't going to make an drastic body weight drops b/c it would lead to a loss and potentially a severe injury from the dehydration.

Yep, any time I have competed I have been weighed right then. Most of the guys getting on the mats are within 5 pounds of each other. Thats exactly how it should be in MMA. I have seen a 25-30 pound weight difference in the cage. Thats a good way to have people hurt or even killed.

69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011
Yep, any time I have competed I have been weighed right then. Most of the guys getting on the mats are within 5 pounds of each other. Thats exactly how it should be in MMA. I have seen a 25-30 pound weight difference in the cage. Thats a good way to have people hurt or even killed.
I disagree.

Real life example. In the open weight UFCs did the heaviest guys win?

How did Machida do at 205? He walks at the weight he fights at. He's smaller than most middleweights .

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
I disagree.

Real life example. In the open weight UFCs did the heaviest guys win?

How did Machida do at 205? He walks at the weight he fights at. He's smaller than most middleweights .

You cannot compare the old open weight UFC to todays UFC bro. Completely different sport. The skill levels were all over the place back then. These days the skill levels are much closer. Everyone knows how to kickbox and everyone knows BJJ, wrestling ect. I better comparison would be boxing. There are good reasons why they don't let a 160 lb boxer fight a 200 lb boxer.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic