Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

MMA Fighter dies cutting weight - 17lbs in 3 days

georgia21

georgia21

Aug 30, 2010
Nova Uniao flyweight fighter Leandro Souza passed away while cutting weight Thursday for Friday's Shooto Brazil 43 card in Rio de Janeiro. Souza reportedly passed out at the weigh ins, and was transported to the hospital, where he was declared dead.

Nova Uniao founder and Shooto Brazil president Andre Pederneiras announced the tragic news, via his Facebook.

"It is with great regret that we hereby report the death of the Leandro Caetano de Souza. The athlete died in Botafogo, Rio de Janeiro. The reasons are not yet known. We would like to express condolences to all friends and family."

Further details will be posted as they come available, but the story is an old, tragic one.

Cutting weight hard had been a staple of collegiate and high school wrestling programs for generations. Then, late in 1997, three wrestlers died in a month. SI had the story:

He died crawling to the scale. Glassy-eyed and pale, his legs too weak to hold him after he had shed nearly 17 pounds in three days, Jeff Reese collapsed and expired on the cold floor of a locker room in Crisler Arena on Dec. 9 in Ann Arbor.

Reese, a junior at Michigan trying to make weight in the 150-pound class for a wrestling meet against Michigan State, spent the last two hours of his life in a plastic suit, riding a stationary bike in a room in which the heat was cranked up to 92. He was the third college wrestler to die in 33 days. Billy Jack Saylor, a freshman at Campbell University in Buies Creek, N.C., and Joseph LaRosa, a senior at Wisconsin-La Crosse, died in November while cutting weight. Though the official causes of their deaths varied, Reese, Saylor and LaRosa died of the same thing: the self-inflicted torture of drastic weight loss, college wrestling's ugly secret.

Read entire article...

In response to the three deaths, the NCAA took a number of steps to make wrestling safer, including:
•Banning training in a room hotter than 80 degrees:
•Banning self-induced vomiting;
•Banning extensive food or fluid restrictions;
•Requiring hydration tests:
•Requiring body fat checks; and,
•Restricting the amount of weight that can be lost.

Following the NCAA's lead, high schools too instituted a variety of precautions.

Now, attorney Erik Magraken in his CanadianMMALawBlog.com argues that Mixed Martial Arts should not wait for three deaths in 33 days due to weight cutting.

It is important to introduce forward thinking legislation instead of waiting for a tragedy to occur before bringing legal change. This leads to today’s topic, rapid weight loss in combat sports and foreseeable tragedy.

MMA, as with all weight-restricted sports, comes with a risk that athletes will subject themselves to rapid weight loss techniques in order to make their fighting weight. These ‘brutal weight cuts’ are well documented at MMA’s highest level. This in turn leads to many MMA athletes fighting in a dehydrated state. This comes with increased risk of fighter injury including increased risk of traumatic brain injury. With this in mind it is worth examining the justification for weight classes in the first place and discuss whether fights following rapid weight loss should be tolerated.

As MMA has grown in popularity so has legislative oversight of the sport. These two developments go hand in hand with a proper legal framework helping legitimize the sport in turn creating a foundation on which the sport can grow. One of the first regulatory developments which has helped legitimize MMA in the public’s eye was the introduction of weight classes. At their core, weight classes exist for fighter safety. The risk of injury grows with weight discrepancy among athletes.

Appreciating that fighter safety is the core reason behind weight classes, rapid weight loss is a phenomenon that needs to be addressed. Failing to address this issue undermines the entire foundation underlying weight classes.

Studies show that rapid weight cutting (ie- more than 5% of body weight) lead to increased participant injury risk in combat sports. As noted by Dr. Benjamin, a simple solution to address this issue is to require certain weight metrics from 30 days out from a fight.

The MMA community should not wait for a tragedy to occur, as did in the 1990′s with NCAA wrestling, before addressing this issue. Unless safeguards are built in some athletes will continue to undertake dangerous methods to make weight. Stakeholders in the MMA community, be it event organizers or legislative bodies, should take proactive steps to address this reality. Not only will this result in competition more reflective of an athlete’s ‘true’ weight, it will promote fighter safety.

Which jurisdiction or organization will have the foresight and initiative to address this issue first?

69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011
fighters need to stop cutting so much weight and fight in their weight class
Weight cutting is a part of the game. The fact that he got himself that dehydrated and his camp didn't force him to stop and take in iv fluids pisses me off to no end.

If you can't cut the weight without harsh diuretics you have no business cutting it.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
What are the weight classes in MMA? Surely he would have been better suited in the next weight class instead of trying to drop 17lb. Leaving it until 3 days out seems crazy to me.

Such a tragic shame that likely didn't need to happen.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Seems like he needed to lose 33lb in a week, they are stating his death as a stroke.

Bro Bundy

Bro Bundy

MuscleHead
Nov 1, 2012
Weight cutting is a part of the game. The fact that he got himself that dehydrated and his camp didn't force him to stop and take in iv fluids pisses me off to no end.

If you can't cut the weight without harsh diuretics you have no business cutting it.

sure is a big part of the game..I hate the idea of depleting yourself right before its time to do battle.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
sure is a big part of the game..I hate the idea of depleting yourself right before its time to do battle.

If you do it right the fighter is fine to fight. I have friends who fight in the UFC as well as Bellator and they've been dropping water forever. Nothing new. It's unfortaunte but water drops aren't going to stop.

69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011
If you do it right the fighter is fine to fight. I have friends who fight in the UFC as well as Bellator and they've been dropping water forever. Nothing new. It's unfortaunte but water drops aren't going to stop.
I've never had a weight cut hurt my performance. What it comes down to for me is not wanting to fight in too tall of a class for me. When they are all 6'4" with massive reach being 6' sucks.

M

MatthewC

MuscleHead
Dec 7, 2011
Weight cutting is completely part of the game. You can drop a significant amount of water weight depending on your size without impacting performance too much. Cutting 17 lbs in 3 days is stupid unless you're heavy weight. Instead throwing the wet towel on the thermosat in the wrestling room, they can go do Bikram Yoga and lose the weight. I cut 32 lbs in 6 weeks for wrestling with minimal strength loss (loss only 5 lbs on the bench to tie the high school regard....Highlight of my life....*sigh). I would think that if a collegiate coach new one of his wrestler were inducing vomitting before a weigh in, they would probably do something. No?

P

pepino

Jul 1, 2013
69nites is sooo right! Trying to come in on some who has that reach advantage is a mother. Especially if they know how to jab correctly.

They should have a weight and height class???

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
They should have a weight and height class???

And when most people don't fit in the height AND weight class than what? They need make the weigh-ins the morning of the fight.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic