Latest Member
arcticranger
What's New?

Konstantinovs 55 pullups

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
These are Crossfit "kips", not pullups. Once you get the form down, you realize how efficient this movement is, allowing you to do a ton of them. You can double your pullup number in most cases with this method. In other words, I could match his 55 reps, because I can do about 30 body weight pullups with strict form.

The real question is can you pull just about 3.5x your bodyweight with no belt and pulling conventional?

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Here, watch this. There is a difference between a gymnastics kip and a crossfit kip, btw. A REAL kip, most crossfitters can't do because it's an elite skill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlpmnnZGEy8

Can you elaborate? My wife is not an elite crossfitter, but her form is pretty impeccable on every skill she's learned. She was taught how to kip by a former Olympic training center gymnast, and I've never heard of such a thing. There's good kips and bad kips, ugly kips and butterfly kips (easiest and fastest of all but difficult to string together at first), but there's never been a mention of a "gymnastics kip" vs. Crossfit kip.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Can you elaborate? My wife is not an elite crossfitter, but her form is pretty impeccable on every skill she's learned. She was taught how to kip by a former Olympic training center gymnast, and I've never heard of such a thing. There's good kips and bad kips, ugly kips and butterfly kips (easiest and fastest of all but difficult to string together at first), but there's never been a mention of a "gymnastics kip" vs. Crossfit kip.

The original kip...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYXei2pRsIg

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
The real question is can you pull just about 3.5x your bodyweight with no belt and pulling conventional?

The point of the video was to impress people with pullups. I see kipping pullups, not pullups and that said, I am not impressed. If I was watching a big deadlift that was 3.5 times his body weight with no gear, yes, then I would be impressed. Soooo, I don't see how the "real question" goes from pullups to deadlifts.

Was just giving my opinion of the video.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
So in other words, you have no idea.

Aside from sharing the name "kip", these are two completely different movements. One is designed to get a person gracefully and almost effortlessly onto a bar, ONE TIME, to begin a movement or routine. The other is an exercise designed to target explosiveness and muscular coordination to test a TYPE of pull-ups for reps in a given amount of time.

By the way, it takes time and skill for a 7 year old to learn it. Not a grown athlete. I'd wager a sizeable amount of money that it's significantly harder to learn how to butterfly kip than to swing around a bar onto the top.

Before anybody says anything about a muscle up being like the "original gymnastics kip", your feet cannot be higher than the hands at any given point in the motion specifically for the reason that it makes it too easy for momentum to take over.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
The point of the video was to impress people with pullups. I see kipping pullups, not pullups and that said, I am not impressed. If I was watching a big deadlift that was 3.5 times his body weight with no gear, yes, then I would be impressed. Soooo, I don't see how the "real question" goes from pullups to deadlifts.

Was just giving my opinion of the video.

You know who KK is right? He isn't trying to impress anybody with his pull-ups, kipping or not. Any inference of such is done by you or anybody else watching a video of him training.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
So in other words, you have no idea.

Aside from sharing the name "kip", these are two completely different movements. One is designed to get a person gracefully and almost effortlessly onto a bar, ONE TIME, to begin a movement or routine. The other is an exercise designed to target explosiveness and muscular coordination to test a TYPE of pull-ups for reps in a given amount of time.

By the way, it takes time and skill for a 7 year old to learn it. Not a grown athlete. I'd wager a sizeable amount of money that it's significantly harder to learn how to butterfly kip than to swing around a bar onto the top.

Before anybody says anything about a muscle up being like the "original gymnastics kip", your feet cannot be higher than the hands at any given point in the motion specifically for the reason that it makes it too easy for momentum to take over.

lol I don't even know where to start on this. Your huge lack of knowledge on juvenile neuromuscular development is a dead giveaway in your reply. Not even going to waste my time on this debate any longer. You're probably going to do a quick google search on the topic and try to come back. Don't bother.

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
He himself posted the youtube video it appears calling them pullups which we ALL know they are not............so kipping skipping or being a super genius whatever they are NOT pullups.
He has strength and some skill no one is denying that:)

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
I'm not gonna delete anything. I'm just gonna say if you guys wanna sling shit do it in pm

wesleyinman

wesleyinman

MuscleHead
Jan 9, 2014
For his BW I am impressed.

He's a phenomenal athlete in so many regards. Thank you for posting :)

sootywooty

sootywooty

MuscleHead
Sep 12, 2013
There are "ninja warriors" (yes the tv show obstacle course) in japan that have done one armed pinky and index finger pullups

Lol! Yes no doubt their is! But this chap had not that much muscle! and had not trained for a while either and was around 11 and half stone, also he done 350 bench press before that, he only use to come down for a conflab with the gym instructor.

He had trained before for PL but had packed it all in for more of a family life he said at the time.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic