Members
Latest Member
SDUBUBLACK

Is crossfit saving Weightlifting?

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
It's certainly bringing a lot of attention to lifting, absolutely. Is it saving it though? Nah. BBing and PLing simply go through phases. There will always be fads that come and go, and BBing and PLing will always be here to stay. They seem to be the root of all other lifting. Not all attention is good attention though.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
@kb

That doesn't like like anyone doing a Crossfit style of workout. That just sounds like idiots at any gym that don't know shit.Watch the video (a year old). The separation between what Crossfit used to be (lots of idiots, a few that knew their shit) and what it is now (lots of guys who know their shit with serious backgrounds in weight and bodybuilding and a few idiots running around that have never lifted) is narrowing.

The owner of the gym I go to is a competitive weight/oly lifter. Technique and form is numero for him and always has been with me.
We don't just throw weights around like idiots. We actually know our shit a little bit, not to mention he has a BS in Exercise Science and Nutrition
not just some certification. We like power, strength and size but we also like metabolic conditioning.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
I personally don't think it's "saving" power/weight lifting but I thought the video was good.

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
I think crossfit is gay and should die a slow lingering death. I hate these ''guys'' who feel they have to use the whole friggin gym at once and get mad when you take their bench they weren't at. So no crossfit is fortunately and thankfully diesing off. here anyways Thank God

kbordner

kbordner

VIP Pops
Dec 18, 2012
@kb

That doesn't like like anyone doing a Crossfit style of workout. That just sounds like idiots at any gym that don't know shit.Watch the video (a year old). The separation between what Crossfit used to be (lots of idiots, a few that knew their shit) and what it is now (lots of guys who know their shit with serious backgrounds in weight and bodybuilding and a few idiots running around that have never lifted) is narrowing.

The owner of the gym I go to is a competitive weight/oly lifter. Technique and form is numero for him and always has been with me.
We don't just throw weights around like idiots. We actually know our shit a little bit, not to mention he has a BS in Exercise Science and Nutrition
not just some certification. We like power, strength and size but we also like metabolic conditioning.

Fair enough.....You will have to forgive an old BB. I am pretty crabby and set in my ways. In reality I am for getting I shape. Whatever you choose. You sound like a serious professional athlete and so I will listen to your thoughts. Maybe I am using the name Cross Fit where it does not apply. Part of my prejudice is my daughter helps teach a boot camp of women only in Florida and it's (imo) a lot of dangerous movements. I train all my lifts slowly and with no momentum and perfect form. It is why at 57 I am what I am. I always equated Burpees/kettlebells/bosu balls/kip ups/ and lunges on paper plates as Cross Fit along with Snatches and Clean and Jerks. If I am wrong than I stand corrected....Ken

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
I think crossfit is gay and should die a slow lingering death. I hate these ''guys'' who feel they have to use the whole friggin gym at once and get mad when you take their bench they weren't at. So no crossfit is fortunately and thankfully diesing off. here anyways Thank God

I think super gay is what you meant to say.

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
I dont think crossfit is saving lifting. I can very easily see a crossfit person go and try to PL and think "oh I know how to do this", attempt the movement with a enormous amount of weight then BAM...injury. so to answer the question, no, I dont think it will save lifting.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Froning is a beast. The difference is, he has a history of strength training so when he got in to CF, he was way ahead of the game.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
Froning is a beast. The difference is, he has a history of strength training so when he got in to CF, he was way ahead of the game.

Right, and you know what...most of us that are good at it have a history of strength or bodybuilding.
The endurance is much easier to build. Strength takes years.

The dumb shit that everyone's seen is going away as more and more serious
lifters/athletes get into it. They are getting involved and competition is intense.

They also have a specialty division that is only strength...big dudes.
They do stuff like finding your 3 rep max clean in 15 minutes.

Last edited:
shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
The endurance is much easier to build. Strength takes years.

lifters/athletes get into it. They are getting involved and competition is intense.

They also have a specialty division that is only strength...big dudes.
They do stuff like finding your 3 rep max clean in 15 minutes.

Agree with all of this. I love when the little crossfit kids bring up guys like Froning to prove their system is better. I Just laugh and reply "Trust me, you will NEVER be Froning, or any of those top level guys. You don't have the frame work, nor the concept of what it takes to build it up"

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011

For their sake I hope so... Because when most of us hear "crossfit" they think of this guy

That's not what crossfit needs for a poster boy

Last edited by a moderator:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic