Members
Latest Member
lk has no balls

Is crossfit saving Weightlifting?

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
No ****ing way! It may save some gyms revenue, but my gym owner is armature Olympic champ , phd in exercise science and openly protests his disdAin for crissfit, I mean we got a sign in the doorway " no pussies allowed " - unfortunately no chicks sign up so if I want scenery I need to go elsewhere

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
Well it's not going anywhere. Klokov is onboard. Louie Simmons of Westside Barbell is onboard.
It's going to get better and better. It's still evolving.

Hit a front squat PR 315# the other day at 177#. Today, hit 195# Snatch x 2 PR.
Looking to put some weight back on after the initial anaerobic shock/cut shaved
quite a bit off of me.

Joliver

Joliver

MuscleHead
Jan 19, 2014
Powerlifting doesn't need saving. As long as their are men and women that are addicted to pushing their human potential to potentially dangerous levels to see what is possible and what they are made of--powerlifting will always have a home in some dark gym somewhere.

I am not insulting crossfit when I say this: people gravitate toward money. Crossfit seems hip and cool. A great reason to buy new shoes and matching gear--with one of those monstrous beatz headphones that look like shooting muffs. Crossfit is a sport, and it is difficult. It deserves respect....

But crossfit saved powerlifting like P90x saved the pushup.

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
quite a bit off of me.
315 on front squat?damn, Good job man!

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Well it's not going anywhere. Klokov is onboard. Louie Simmons of Westside Barbell is onboard.
It's going to get better and better. It's still evolving.

quite a bit off of me.

Those def respectable lifts. Good job.

do you use shoes or boards under your heels for these? That seems to be taking off now in crossfit as well.

there is something I am starting to be confused about though. When y'all talk about your front squats, snatches etc, it sounds to me like you would be more interested in oly lifting than you would be crossfit. Crossfit isn't near optimal for getting big lifts, but it's something that many cross fitters seem to take pride in.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
I definitely like the lifting aspect more than the conditioning but overall, I enjoy the programming. Some days we just do weight lifting.
Other days we just do conditioning (rowing, kettlebells, light bar work - all wrapped into one workout).
I want to be strong but I also want to be in amazing shape where I can do athletic activities that require coordination/endurance.
kite surfing, mt. biking, rock climbing, snowboarding...outdoor stuff.

We have programming 3 days a week where it's only weight lifting. e.g.
1) Power Snatch (50/1, 60/1, 65/1, 70/1, 75/1, 80/1, ME/!) % Sn
2) Power Clean & Power Jerk (50/1, 60/1, 65/1, 70/1, 75/1, 80/1, ME/1) % CJ
3) Push Press (50/3, 60/3, 65/3, 70/3, ME/3) % CJ

That is completely separate though and is part of a weightlifting club.
We do it at the same gym. Different coaches even though both coaches (Crossfit and Oly)
are both competitive weight lifters. I like to have the best of both worlds.

For Crossfit:
Mon, Wed, Friday is strength mixed with conditioning
Tues/Thursday is only conditioning

Yesterday we did a bit of hypertrophy and then conditioning. It's all about the coach. Each gym is going to have different ideas on programming
and what's best for them. We predominately come from a weight or bb'ing background, so most of us in there are in decent shape (muscle/strength/aesthetic wise).

Yesterday was 30-20-10 deadlift alternating 5x3 backsquat - increasing back squat each time but keeping the DL the same (no rest except to add more weight)
30 DL @ 185#
5 back squat @ 225#
20 DL @ 185#
5 back squat @ 250#
10 DL @ 185#
5 back squat @ 275#

Then after that it was conditioning - never the other way around!
3 Rounds for time of:
10 Front Squats (155# - clean it first off the ground - not racked)
20 Kettlebell Snatch (24k )
30 Box Jumps (24")

For me, this type of programming has me hooked. The competitive side of things each day is also what has me hooked.
I don't just go into the gym and do my thing with my headphones on for an hour and then go home. I'm with 5 or so of my
other buddies that like doing the same stuff, we turn the stereo on loud, play whatever music we want and compete
each and every day.

Last edited:
shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
I like the idea of separating conditioning and strength/power. Conditioning creates fatigue, which then prevents maximal effort for the high intensity lifts.

I actually like the rest of that though.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
I think it's good stuff. We have open gym too where you can do whatever you want.
You can do drops sets, super sets, etc. T-bar rows in the corner with deadlifts and weighted pull ups.
Do what you need to to do to get where you want to be. I like size as well so I always mix in my hypertrophy specific workouts.

Realize too, that out and about, I don't mention anything about crossfit and usually when someone asks me what I do,
I tell them I don't really workout. I say my buddy has a gym that I frequent but it's pretty basic. I don't care to say much.
On here though, I've tried to clear some common misconceptions about the whole thing, but now, it's whatever.
I'll put it out there; the kind of programming we're doing and you either think it's stupid or you think it's okay.
It's just training.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic