Members
Latest Member
Joannafit

Is crossfit saving Weightlifting?

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
Also, I know this is the Powerlifting forum but I didn't know where else to put it.
Open for a civil discussion. He makes some great points and these are the points
I've been trying to show some of you old schoolers here at TID.
Remember, I'm from the BB and Powerlifiting world. Not on any spectacular
level but I have a decent background in both.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Is CrossFit saving Olympic Weightlifting... no. I was a competitive Oly lifter. It has brought the lifts to the public but no one wants to compete in Oly lifting b/c there is literally no money in it. Tha is why some top Oly lifters are jumping ship and going the other way.

You win the American Open and you get a medal.... that's it. You win Nationals and you get the same thing. America's ranking has dropped low enough that we won't even have the ability to send a to the anyone to the next Olympics.

7 years ago no one knew what the classical lifts are... now tons of people know but that doesn't mean they are going to try to become a competitive Oly lifter.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
It is hurting and benefiting powerlifting at the same time. I've seen numerous meets where the majority of the lifters are sucked into PL from crossfit. PL was losing the younger generation to BB and meet numbers were down all over. Another positive aspect is that its bringing money and attention to the sport.

Of course the downside, is that it is bringing money and attention to the sport.

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
CrossFit is making a mockery of Olympic lifting. It is also creating and army of undeservedly cocky dickheads and vagines doing retarded shit in the racks we use as Bodybuilders and Powerlifters. If you've ever waited 20mins to use the racks while 2 guys with high black socks and rock tape all over did what they believed were pullups (kips) you'd see my point. Go do CrossFit in a studio and leave the gym to the rest of us.

kbordner

kbordner

VIP Pops
Dec 18, 2012
CrossFit is making a mockery of Olympic lifting. It is also creating and army of undeservedly cocky dickheads and vagines doing retarded shit in the racks we use as Bodybuilders and Powerlifters. If you've ever waited 20mins to use the racks while 2 guys with high black socks and rock tape all over did what they believed were pullups (kips) you'd see my point. Go do CrossFit in a studio and leave the gym to the rest of us.

Agree.....They remind me off the assholes 20 years ago who would come into Gold's and circuit train tying up 4 machines at a time. It is ignorant and inconsiderate. They have their own gyms to do that shit so go there. They also seems to be an extreme assholiness to them never mind the stupid socks and the running around between sets with a stopwatch. I am the first to admit that BB is a cult but at least we know how to do a chin and a dip. The OLY lifts have their place in training but not among your average housefrau. Plus I ****ing hate Burpees.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
Oh boy, here we go again...Thanks for your contribution and story about two guys from your gym, Mike.

I think the cockiness and dickheadness is seen all around from bodybuilders, powerlifters, and crossfitters alike.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
It is hurting and benefiting powerlifting at the same time. I've seen numerous meets where the majority of the lifters are sucked into PL from crossfit. PL was losing the younger generation to BB and meet numbers were down all over. Another positive aspect is that its bringing money and attention to the sport.

Of course the downside, is that it is bringing money and attention to the sport.

Interesting you mentioned that. I was talking to a very well known PLer and he was saying the same thing in reagrds to raw PLing... that many CF's are converting to raw PLing.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
Interesting you mentioned that. I was talking to a very well known PLer and he was saying the same thing in reagrds to raw PLing... that many CF's are converting to raw PLing.

I've seen that as well over on reddit (r/weightroom)

The thing is, I went from power and body comp to crossfit but I can easily
just do power/weight for a few months, then get in some metabolic conditioning,
go back to just weights, etc. It's all a journey. I live for pushing my limits.
Overall, I prefer weightlifting and body comp over endurance but the
endurance is not a bad thing either.

Last edited:
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I need to find some of these guys/gals to train with around mid day b/c all the PLers here train in the evening and now I work in the evenings.

kbordner

kbordner

VIP Pops
Dec 18, 2012
Oh boy, here we go again...Thanks for your contribution and story about two guys from your gym, Mike.

I think the cockiness and dickheadness is seen all around from bodybuilders, powerlifters, and crossfitters alike.

First off most Powerlifter's I have known ( 14 years competing) were extremely nice and generous. The problem I have is crossfitter's don't seem to have any common courtesy when it comes to equipment and sharing. If you go to a crossfit gym then God Bless you do whatever you want but I have had people running around using the Olympic bars and the incline bench and the smith machine wit absolutely no concern for anyone else. I have been training in gyms for 37 years and would never pull that shit. I am always very polite and ask around before I use a piece of equipment. This does not seem to be a concern for this group. I am not going by one or two people either this has happened among both gender's and all age groups. I also feel the OLY lifts are very technical lifts that require a lot of proper teaching to do safely. I see bent backs, rotator cuff nightmares, bent wrists and on and on.

wesleyinman

wesleyinman

MuscleHead
Jan 9, 2014
I don't think it saves weightlifting.

I think weightlifting will always be a "niche" sport, whether it is strongman, OLY, PL, etc, etc...

Bodybuilding is pretty popular, crossfit is a the moment. Truthfully it is a very small population that is truly involved. I remember seeing Branch Warren and Andy Hamman at the hotel area after a show and all the regular people were whispering "who are those guys".

Most people don't know or care :) Except us :)

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic