Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

How many trap excercises do you do?

matthewk04

matthewk04

VIP Member
Jul 21, 2013
I have huge (front) delts and I think this is made to look worse because I feel like my traps sit far back if that makes sense. I usually do heavy weight do you guys think lower weight would help me get "peaks" on my traps any input would be appreciated.

matthewk04

matthewk04

VIP Member
Jul 21, 2013
Deads are my favorite anyway. I do power cleans off and on. Snatches always feel weird to me. What do you recommend as far as weight/rep/set ratio. For deads I usually warm up 10*135 10 by 225 then 7 working sets on a good day of 495*3. Maybe do more reps between315-400?

Wallyd

Wallyd

VIP Member
Dec 10, 2013
Mine seem to grow pretty easy. I train mine at the end of my back workout & usually use two exercises for 4 sets of each. Sometimes ill just use one exercise for four sets. DB shrugs are my favorite but also use upright rows and BB shrugs.

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
I have huge (front) delts and I think this is made to look worse because I feel like my traps sit far back if that makes sense. I usually do heavy weight do you guys think lower weight would help me get "peaks" on my traps any input would be appreciated.

I will tell you what worked for me. Light/medium weight high reps followed by last set of heavy to failure, however a lot of work is to failure now. I tried doing heavy deads and shrugs but was not seeing the results I wanted, so after reading and asking questions, the same answers kept coming back...light/medium weight high reps, 30+ reps and higher.

I do a lot of behind the neck movements like pulldowns on lat machine and behind neck press, LIGHT WEIGHT! A lot of people will advise against anything behind the neck, that's why you should go light weight, with strict form you can nail them pretty good. Again, this is what has worked for me, everyone is different so you will have to find your nitch. Good luck man.

Samson

Samson

MuscleHead
Dec 8, 2013
I will tell you what worked for me. Light/medium weight high reps followed by last set of heavy to failure, however a lot of work is to failure now. I tried doing heavy deads and shrugs but was not seeing the results I wanted, so after reading and asking questions, the same answers kept coming back...light/medium weight high reps, 30+ reps and higher.

I do a lot of behind the neck movements like pulldowns on lat machine and behind neck press, LIGHT WEIGHT! A lot of people will advise against anything behind the neck, that's why you should go light weight, with strict form you can nail them pretty good. Again, this is what has worked for me, everyone is different so you will have to find your nitch. Good luck man.

When I was a younger I used to do behind the neck presses with light weight. Only going down to about the top of my head. I have pretty large traps for my size.

Learned a new exercise the other day as a finisher. I use the smith machine and set the bar low enough so I can sit on it. Not chair low but I between standing and sitting. Grab a 45 lb plate in each hand still sitting on the bar, bent forward 20 or so degrees and shrug up with the angle it will kinda be back because of the forward lean. Hold for 5 seconds at the top and repeat. 3 sets of 20 will fry them. Just something new to roll into your workout...

matthewk04

matthewk04

VIP Member
Jul 21, 2013
Thanks everyone for the imput. Much appreciated.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
Deads are my favorite anyway. I do power cleans off and on. Snatches always feel weird to me. What do you recommend as far as weight/rep/set ratio. For deads I usually warm up 10*135 10 by 225 then 7 working sets on a good day of 495*3. Maybe do more reps between315-400?

Some days I'll pyramid up to heaviest 3 rep possible, 5-6 sets total.
Other days I'll do a 30 rep set of medium weight (60-75% 1 rep max)
I'll do that for all three exercises during the same workout.

The snatch is very hard. It takes months and months of practice but is well worth it.
It's not something you can just walk up and do correctly like a deadlift or a regular pressing movement.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
The snatch take a helluva lot more than months to master. Try more like years upon years and this coming from Top US Oly lifters.

Instead of trying to perform a snatch properly, learn how to correctly perform a snatch pull and snatch high pull. It's easier to master and will be just as beneficial to the lifter unless they are going to try to qualify for the American Open or American Nats.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
The snatch take a helluva lot more than months to master. Try more like years upon years and this coming from Top US Oly lifters.

Instead of trying to perform a snatch properly, learn how to correctly perform a snatch pull and snatch high pull. It's easier to master and will be just as beneficial to the lifter unless they are going to try to qualify for the American Open or American Nats.

Brother Iron, I didn't say master. I am talking about just getting it down so you aren't looking like fool it takes about 4 months of lots of practice and a ton of stretching.
That's how long it took me until I could do it decently.

Lenny89

Lenny89

MuscleHead
Dec 30, 2011
Farmers walk are good for traps grabs some DB's and go for a walk ;)

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic