Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

How many other lies?

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
So, now that they have classified fiber as an ESSENTIAL nutrient. (Its not even a nutrient but lets ignore that fact for a second) and we all know thats an outright lie. We have been told for years how unhealthy meat and eggs are and we know that to be another outright lie. We have been told the more calories you eat the more you gain and the less calories you eat the more you lose and we know that to be a lie. The food pyramid was healthy. A damn lie.

What other lies about diet and nutrition have we been sold on for the last 50 years?

M

Massive G

VIP Member
Apr 10, 2020
So, now that they have classified fiber as an ESSENTIAL nutrient. (Its not even a nutrient but lets ignore that fact for a second) and we all know thats an outright lie. We have been told for years how unhealthy meat and eggs are and we know that to be another outright lie. We have been told the more calories you eat the more you gain and the less calories you eat the more you lose and we know that to be a lie. The food pyramid was healthy. A damn lie.

What other lies about diet and nutrition have we been sold on for the last 50 years?
Must be a pharmaceutical company coming out with a fiber script for a $1000 a serving.

Type-IIx

Type-IIx

Mar 24, 2022

Who are "they"?

The pronoun "We" includes myself, along with you and others (here, other forum members). Yet, I don't know that fiber is not an essential nutrient... I think that it is, since we don't synthesize it endogenously, we need it from plants ( essential) and it provides important nutrients (vitamins, minerals) that only come from fibrous vegetables. Fiber is not totally insoluble; that would be, er, oversimplistic.

I haven't been told how unhealthy meat and eggs are - though I have seen various nonserious news media articles that grab for our attention with such claims - I would never read them, because meat and eggs are obviously great for us.

Since Newton's First Law of Thermodynamics states that in a closed system energy and matter are conserved, I don't think that it's a lie that energy balance controls weight gain, loss, or maintenance. Further, I see that it's quite simply to measure these, so for me, stating that this is a "lie" is akin to flat earthers' silly beliefs.

The food pyramid? It's constantly in flux based on new evidence, so I don't know that its current state is meant to be compared to some prior incarnation. From where I sit, this seems like religious-type absolutist thinking instead of thinking in a manner that permits scientific processes to evolve (ha! the scientific process has led to an update - they were wrong before! so stupid!!!)

I can say confidently that I haven't been sold a single lie about diet or nutrition because I have an overdeveloped bullshit filter; matter like this post sometimes get caught in it.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
Who are "they"?

The pronoun "We" includes myself, along with you and others (here, other forum members). Yet, I don't know that fiber is not an essential nutrient... I think that it is, since we don't synthesize it endogenously, we need it from plants ( essential) and it provides important nutrients (vitamins, minerals) that only come from fibrous vegetables. Fiber is not totally insoluble; that would be, er, oversimplistic.

I haven't been told how unhealthy meat and eggs are - though I have seen various nonserious news media articles that grab for our attention with such claims - I would never read them, because meat and eggs are obviously great for us.

Since Newton's First Law of Thermodynamics states that in a closed system energy and matter are conserved, I don't think that it's a lie that energy balance controls weight gain, loss, or maintenance. Further, I see that it's quite simply to measure these, so for me, stating that this is a "lie" is akin to flat earthers' silly beliefs.

The food pyramid? It's constantly in flux based on new evidence, so I don't know that its current state is meant to be compared to some prior incarnation. From where I sit, this seems like religious-type absolutist thinking instead of thinking in a manner that permits scientific processes to evolve (ha! the scientific process has led to an update - they were wrong before! so stupid!!!)

I can say confidently that I haven't been sold a single lie about diet or nutrition because I have an overdeveloped bullshit filter; matter like this post sometimes get caught in it.
THEY being the nutritionists, Drs etc.

If you haven't been told how unhealthy meat and eggs are you don't own a TV or access the internet or read.

Your Law of Thermodynamics is bullshit when it comes to diet and nutrition. I have lost weight on 5,200 calories per day and gained on less than 1,000 per day. So have many thousands of other people. Don't even come at me with that calorie is a calorie bullshit you learned in your college nutrition class.

From where you sit (*religious-type absolutist thinking based on a thing you read based on pseudo-science) it would seem that way.

If you can honestly say you have never bought into a single lie about diet or nutrition while making the above statements I don't think we have anything left to talk about...lol

ITAWOLF

ITAWOLF

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2010
Oh yeah it’s all bs
My gout was out of control
I went to Germany and a guy from work told me to cut out fruits
I did
Gout gone
It’s the shit the process food with that is bad
I rather my loaf of bread turn green in a few days then last 2 weeks
Not that i eat bread lol

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
Man, come on.

Breads and grains are good for us?

Seed oils and veg oil is better for us than butter or tallow?

Bacon, steak and eggs will kill me but fruit, rice and potatoes will get me jacked?

What about the bread in the US not even being considered bread in most other countries?

People can only digest and absorb 30-35 grams of protein in one sitting?

Honey, sweet potatoes, rice, fruit are "magical" healthy sugar that can't make you fat.

I can eat fried chicken and donuts and lose weight simply if I go below my normal caloric intake? because Thermodynamics

Seriously WTAF!?!?

Swiper

Swiper

VIP Member
Jan 8, 2011

The food pyramid, and that other information you posted was made up by the government, any one who believes that is a fool.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
I will agree that a calorie is not a calorie in the sense that it does not affect only 1 side (the intake) of the equation.

The First Law of Thermodynamics is not BS. It considers both sides of the equation. If energy is conserved, if you take in more calories in the form of energy than you burn, you "store" the excess calories. If you burn more calories in the form of energy than you consume, the deficit results in a loss of weight.

In both cases, our bodies are not static, and our metabolism dynamically makes changes on a continual basis based on the types of foods being consumed, and our net energy balance.

IMO, "we" were lied to about low fat foods being good for us. I don't really care if it was a sinister, nefarious scheme. Whatever the reason, it was a lie, and as a result, American citizens are poorly informed about nutrition. I find that so strange.

Glycomann

Glycomann

VIP Member
Jan 19, 2011
I could go into this but I have a hangover. my wife told me vodka was at the top of the pyramid, which was a lie. Her pronouns are not they them. They are she her.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
I will agree that a calorie is not a calorie in the sense that it does not affect only 1 side (the intake) of the equation.

The First Law of Thermodynamics is not BS. It considers both sides of the equation. If energy is conserved, if you take in more calories in the form of energy than you burn, you "store" the excess calories. If you burn more calories in the form of energy than you consume, the deficit results in a loss of weight.

In both cases, our bodies are not static, and our metabolism dynamically makes changes on a continual basis based on the types of foods being consumed, and our net energy balance.

IMO, "we" were lied to about low fat foods being good for us. I don't really care if it was a sinister, nefarious scheme. Whatever the reason, it was a lie, and as a result, American citizens are poorly informed about nutrition. I find that so strange.
What I mean by Law of Thermodynamics BS is the way people toss it around to say a calorie is a calorie. Example: if you weigh x amount you HAVE to be taking in at least x amount of calories to maintain that weight. Or if you decrease calories (with the exact same energy expenditure) you will lose weight. This is a lie, and the human body is more complex than that. We have long since established this. 500 calories from a donuts is NOT the same as 500 calories from steak and eggs.

Glycomann

Glycomann

VIP Member
Jan 19, 2011
What I mean by Law of Thermodynamics BS is the way people toss it around to say a calorie is a calorie. Example: if you weigh x amount you HAVE to be taking in at least x amount of calories to maintain that weight. Or if you decrease calories (with the exact same energy expenditure) you will lose weight. This is a lie, and the human body is more complex than that. We have long since established this. 500 calories from a donuts is NOT the same as 500 calories from steak and eggs.
Thermodynamics in calorimetry uses a bomb calorimeter to measure the heat produced from any substance when it is combusted to ash. In this way an amount of wood could have the same kcal value as an amount of meat. I think it's pretty clear that humans cannot use wood as a food source but can use meat as a fuel source. We all differ in our absorption and flux through our processes. The thermodynamics of human metabolism is much much more complex than the bomb calorimetry that boot-straps into the label on your food packages.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic