Threads
Members
Latest Member
jacobss

How long? 400lbs to 500lbs bench?(raw)

S

storman230

Jan 7, 2012
ive been so close to hitting the 500 mark for a couple years but i just cant seem to get there. Ive also been stuck around the same body weight for a couple years too , so that prob explains it.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
I'd go gay to make a 25% gain on my bench in a year..... I'd look him in the eyes and everything.

It's possible though. Pick a program ( any program) and beat ass on it.... It took me around 2 years, maybe three..... hard to say since I never really go heavy raw.

TheSpectre

TheSpectre

MuscleHead
May 4, 2013
My bench went from about 330 to 505 in just over a year, so yeah it's possible. I was 18/19 at the time, eating and juicing like a madman though. Probably could have hit 520. Then I became more interested in hybrid powerlifting + bodybuilding = powerbuilding.

Do you ever use a cambered bar for pressing? It really launched my bench press to new levels.

Last edited:
Joliver

Joliver

MuscleHead
Jan 19, 2014
Impossible is a strong word, and I won't use it here, but I will say this--a good portion of lifters have the genetics to be a 400lb bencher. Very few will ever see 500.

Going from a 400 to 500lb bench in a year is an unrealistic goal. You obviously have talent, or you wouldn't be benching 4's, but how long did it take you to get there from 300?

I've only known 1 person to go from 4 to 5 uninjured and it took him a bit over 3 years (no weight gain). And believe me, most guys thought it was well below the average time it takes most serious lifters.

Please believe that I'm not trying to be a dick here, but I'm just trying to temper your expectations. Have a good, organized training routine that is well diversified, and let that dictate your pace.

Pawghunter

Pawghunter

MuscleHead
Jul 1, 2014
Impossible is a strong word, and I won't use it here, but I will say this--a good portion of lifters have the genetics to be a 400lb bencher. Very few will ever see 500.

Going from a 400 to 500lb bench in a year is an unrealistic goal. You obviously have talent, or you wouldn't be benching 4's, but how long did it take you to get there from 300?

I've only known 1 person to go from 4 to 5 uninjured and it took him a bit over 3 years (no weight gain). And believe me, most guys thought it was well below the average time it takes most serious lifters.

Please believe that I'm not trying to be a dick here, but I'm just trying to temper your expectations. Have a good, organized training routine that is well diversified, and let that dictate your pace.

I appreciate your input, your post came across as well thought out and genuine. The 300 to 400 question is tough to answer because I never trained for more then 2 years at a time. I started training again in Marxh of 2014 and before that I hadn't trained for about 2 years. So it took me 14 months or so to get to 405.

POB wrote out a plan for me and I am going to follow it to a t. So I am good there. I also feel that I have the genetics to bench 500 as well. The goal is 500 within the year, if I make it that would be awesome, if I a, not close I can readjust from there.

I appreciate everyone's honesty and input in this thread. Maybe I am being a bit unrealistic with this goal but I feel pretty comfortable that I am going to accomplish it.

tinymk

tinymk

Feb 5, 2013
There is not set time, too many factors. I have hit more then 10 raw benches over 500 paused in federated competitions and none of then came easy. Work ethic, train smart and take care of your shoulders

ajdonutz

ajdonutz

VIP Member
May 23, 2012
Well, I hit 405 about a year and a half ago, couldn't get past it until about 2 months or so ago in which in consecutive weeks I hit 415 and then 425. Haven't been past 425 yet. I've seen other people start working out and get 500 within a year or so, so basically,there is no time estimation. Genetics, starting strength, bone structure, joint health/limitations, work ethic, food consumption,supplements etc etc etc play a part.

tinymk

tinymk

Feb 5, 2013
No there is no time estimate of formula, if someone tells you different and says it is concrete they have no clue what they are talking about.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
There is not set time, too many factors. I have hit more then 10 raw benches over 500 paused in federated competitions and none of then came easy. Work ethic, train smart and take care of your shoulders
Damn didn't know you were a member here. Glad to have you at TID! One of my favorite benchers right here!!!

tinymk

tinymk

Feb 5, 2013
You may have me mixed up brother, if your thinking of Meek. I am raw only.

I did paused a 500 pound raw bench lastnight, being 8 days out for my next meet. Now 8 days on ice, massage, dry needling and eat.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
You may have me mixed up brother, if your thinking of Meek. I am raw only.

I did paused a 500 pound raw bench lastnight, being 8 days out for my next meet. Now 8 days on ice, massage, dry needling and eat.
I was yeah... I am sure you can see why though.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic