Members
Latest Member
lk has no balls

How long? 400lbs to 500lbs bench?(raw)

Pawghunter

Pawghunter

MuscleHead
Jul 1, 2014
Hey guys I was hoping to hear from people that have done this or witnessed this. I just hit 405 for the first time and I am now mapping out my goals. I would like to hit 500 within a year. Does this sound reasonable? Just looking for some input. Thanks.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Depends...

If nothing in life ever got in the way, then yeah you could potentially get to a 500lb bench in one year. How about we take it one training cycle at a time. I can put together a block period program for you to get you moving along, or you can just do progressive overload with a conjugate (not conjugal you homo) and shoot for a PR every 4 weeks.

Blocks would get you big PR's every 12 weeks and the other way would be smaller PR's every 4 weeks.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
I think this depends on your genetics also pawgster. It looks like you are built for pressing, so 500 is probably doable for you.

Make sure you do shoulder rehab. You are into some big weights now, and you need to keep your shoulders healthy.

Oh, and make sure you eat too!

Can't wait to follow your progress!

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
POB, what is progressive overload? And blocks?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
POB, what is progressive overload? And blocks?
Progressive overload is a gradual increase in either volume or intensity. It's that simple.

When you use this in accordance with the conjugate system it would look something like this...

Week 1 floor press for heavy set of 5
Week 2 floor press for heavier set of 3
Week 3 floor press for heavier double
Week 4 floor press PR

Or you could sub the rep scheme with linear progression by adding 5 to 10 pounds per week and ending with a PR. Normally I hate linear progression like 5x5 because at some point you plateau. With a conjugate system after you hit the floor press pr you start a new wave with a different assistance for bench like say overhead press or 2 board or bench with bands. So you never really plateau.

After a pr in the assistance exercise you should have a pr in the tank for the technical lift, in this case the benchpress.

Block periodization is what I use to peak my PL competitors. My particular method is ****ing brutal but my guys love it because they often open with their previous meet PR.

I use 3 blocks
Volume block
Overreach block
Intensity block

Between each block is a restoration and recovery phase - a deload. But even the deloads progress in intensity thru the blocks.

In the volume block it's a lot of reps @rpe 5 to 7 or 50 to 70%.

In the overreach block depending on the athlete it will go up to 8 but usually stays @rpe 6 to 7 or 60 to 70%. However the number of sets is cringeworthy. Everyone feels like shit during over reach. Watch ChrisLindsay9 and his log. He will be going thru this...

In the intensity block the volume decreases sharply but intensity levels are sky high. Assistance and accessory work is cut to very little. Mostly things to maintain posture and joint health or prevent injury. We move into @rpe 8 to 10 here. Depending on the client I will at a minimum have them hit openers but for the more sturdy guys they hit second attempts as well.

So as you can see a block program could put 30 pounds on his bench every 12 weeks if everything went according to plan (never does - in fact you are tempting fate this way). Or take smaller PR'S every few weeks and recover better and probably be injured and over trained less.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
It depends..... but in any case shoot for the 500 and work your ass off to get there.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
I think it's possible. Look at the support system here!

matthewk04

matthewk04

VIP Member
Jul 21, 2013
It's pretty tough. I've only gone over 400 in the past year and have been over 450. But that number has been going in the wrong direction as my shoulders have started to really give me problems. I can however still do very heavy overhead and inclined presses. I think being a taller lifter with long arms has added to my regression.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
Progressive overload is a gradual increase in either volume or intensity. It's that simple.

When you use this in accordance with the conjugate system it would look something like this...

Week 1 floor press for heavy set of 5
Week 2 floor press for heavier set of 3
Week 3 floor press for heavier double
Week 4 floor press PR

Or you could sub the rep scheme with linear progression by adding 5 to 10 pounds per week and ending with a PR. Normally I hate linear progression like 5x5 because at some point you plateau. With a conjugate system after you hit the floor press pr you start a new wave with a different assistance for bench like say overhead press or 2 board or bench with bands. So you never really plateau.

After a pr in the assistance exercise you should have a pr in the tank for the technical lift, in this case the benchpress.

Block periodization is what I use to peak my PL competitors. My particular method is ****ing brutal but my guys love it because they often open with their previous meet PR.

I use 3 blocks
Volume block
Overreach block
Intensity block

Between each block is a restoration and recovery phase - a deload. But even the deloads progress in intensity thru the blocks.

In the volume block it's a lot of reps @rpe 5 to 7 or 50 to 70%.

In the overreach block depending on the athlete it will go up to 8 but usually stays @rpe 6 to 7 or 60 to 70%. However the number of sets is cringeworthy. Everyone feels like shit during over reach. Watch @ChrisLindsay9 and his log. He will be going thru this...

In the intensity block the volume decreases sharply but intensity levels are sky high. Assistance and accessory work is cut to very little. Mostly things to maintain posture and joint health or prevent injury. We move into @rpe 8 to 10 here. Depending on the client I will at a minimum have them hit openers but for the more sturdy guys they hit second attempts as well.

So as you can see a block program could put 30 pounds on his bench every 12 weeks if everything went according to plan (never does - in fact you are tempting fate this way). Or take smaller PR'S every few weeks and recover better and probably be injured and over trained less.

Thank you for the detailed description. I would like to try both of those programs in the future. After 3/5/1 plateaus.

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
In the overreach block depending on the athlete it will go up to 8 but usually stays @rpe 6 to 7 or 60 to 70%. However the number of sets is cringeworthy. Everyone feels like shit during over reach. Watch @ChrisLindsay9 and his log. He will be going thru this...
Every time I look ahead to that overreach block, it makes me want to drink.

DLTH

DLTH

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2011
100lbs in one year when you are at the 400lb mark seems like a bit of a stretch. I hit 400lbs and hit a plateau that I never moved past. I wish you luck but I'd give yourself more than a year.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
Linear progression works well to an extent.
Thinking a block periodization will be your best bet.
Prefer something similar to Texas Method, myself.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic