Latest Member
BluueWater_Hunter

How do you pick your meet attempts?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
520 360 550

I like admins idea too. We did this with my partner beastislav and he took best lifter by like 3lbs.

Joliver

Joliver

MuscleHead
Jan 19, 2014
Thoughts: nothing is more important than getting on the board. I've bombed a couple of times in the last 4 years. Nothing is worse.

My opener suggestions would be 490/370/550. I picked these numbers based on bar speed and the fact that they are numbers which you selected--and I believe your confidence is half the battle. But I wouldn't bullshit you. Your bar speed adequate for those to be openers.

Good experiences: getting on the board and comfortable in my flight rotation brings confidence. Confidence allows me to relax so I can save the energy for the lift.

Bad experiences: missing an "easy" lift for a technical reason and moving up to something I couldn't handle given the stress of the meet. Bombing out the most preventable cause of lifter-loathing known to man.

Testimonials: I went to a meet with a guy that spent a lot of time "listening to his gut." He made a plan when he was level headed...got torked and juiced up and changed all of his lifts based on his "pure rage" and walked away with the golden sombrero of the PLing world. Go with your gut only after you are on the board.

Trash talk: good to see you're getting a good total because with an awesome beard like that, I'd assume you spent all day lifting chicks skirts.

Good luck brother.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I'd choose 505/ 365/ 545 for openers.

If you're trying to beat that guy, you'll want to know his strengths and weaknesses. Where can you over take him and where do you need to push to stay close to him?

Last edited:
Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
After researching (thanks Joliver) I am in direct competition with this guy who hit a 418 bench and 611 dead in December at a push/pull meet... He hit a 500 squat PR in the gym in December too. Gonna be a battle!

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
Thoughts: nothing is more important than getting on the board. I've bombed a couple of times in the last 4 years. Nothing is worse.

My opener suggestions would be 490/370/550. I picked these numbers based on bar speed and the fact that they are numbers which you selected--and I believe your confidence is half the battle. But I wouldn't bullshit you. Your bar speed adequate for those to be openers.

Good experiences: getting on the board and comfortable in my flight rotation brings confidence. Confidence allows me to relax so I can save the energy for the lift.

Bad experiences: missing an "easy" lift for a technical reason and moving up to something I couldn't handle given the stress of the meet. Bombing out the most preventable cause of lifter-loathing known to man.

Testimonials: I went to a meet with a guy that spent a lot of time "listening to his gut." He made a plan when he was level headed...got torked and juiced up and changed all of his lifts based on his "pure rage" and walked away with the golden sombrero of the PLing world. Go with your gut only after you are on the board.

Trash talk: good to see you're getting a good total because with an awesome beard like that, I'd assume you spent all day lifting chicks skirts.

Good luck brother.

Great feedback - much appreciated.
My openers will be a walk in the park and the rest = annihilation.

I grew the beard after marriage and wifey doesn't wear skirts. But we gets it done! Haha

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
520 360 550

I like admins idea too. We did this with my partner beastislav and he took best lifter by like 3lbs.

This plan is dope. My dude will be paying attention to that as well as the state records for total and deads. Squats are in the bag and bench is outta reach. Too hype right now...

Packed my cooler already - Gaytorade, Fiji waters, Snickers and Baby Ruths, PB&Js... It's getting serious.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
After researching (thanks @Joliver) I am in direct competition with this guy who hit a 418 bench and 611 dead in December at a push/pull meet... He hit a 500 squat PR in the gym in December too. Gonna be a battle!

It is but you're squat is your ace in the hole. You'll want to really dig deep and hit those big squats. You hit a big squat and that'll give you the cushion you need going into benching. Try to stay close to him when it comes to benching... but save it for deads. That's where you take the win.

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
It is but you're squat is your ace in the hole. You'll want to really dig deep and hit those big squats. You hit a big squat and that'll give you the cushion you need going into benching. Try to stay close to him when it comes to benching... but save it for deads. That's where you take the win.

Hell yeah - I want 560+ out the gate... Make 'em worry!

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Just make sure you hit your depth on squats. You will smoke this guy on pulls and make up a lot of pounds.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
It's not where you start......

A few years back I was all pumped because I was opening heavier than Brandon Lilly and I was all excited. I mentioned it when we were talking and that's what he said........ 45 minutes later I had discovered that the venue had a really soft rubber floor under the rubber platform - instead of plywood...... I lost my balance three times and got my first bomb out. Now I open light.

To put it in perspective - obviously these are geared numbers so I have to open a little closer to my top end than I would raw.

My best to-depth gym squat was 1060 ( 1100 was high as Cyprus Hill)...... I open between 930 and 950.
My best gym bench is 860 ( 910 to a board) - I opened my last meet at 780, will go 800 next meet.
I rarely max from the floor on deadlifts. Best in a meet is 770, have pulled 855 from blocks....... I open at 700.

Pick openers that you can go out and do so confidently that people will give you shit for opening too light. Then make a bigger jump based off how you feel. It'll be your first lift on that particular rack/bench/bar so go easy. Reps don't mean anything. A teammate pulled 725 for 8 in the gym and missed 740 at the next meet.

If I were you I'd open between 480 and 500 on the squat. Then, if you feel good take a bigger jump.
Bench no higher than 350.
Deadlift around 520.

Go crush your openers and build some momentum. That, and super clean openers start you off on a good note with the judges. If your first two are really clean you have a better chance of a borderline lift going your way.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
I'm kind of a guy who supports Paul Carter. Hit openers that are everyday maxes. Shit you know you can hit sick, tired or etc. Why? Because it may be the only attempt you get. If this is a full power meet, at least, you hit 3 lifts out of nine. Not that I am ok with 3 for 9 but in your case with not hitting triples in a bit, it might be the best for you. No sense in bombing out.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic