Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh

How do you pick your meet attempts?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Since max triple is a no go....You want to make sure your first attempt is something you KNOW you can hit. Gotta get one on the board so you don't bomb out. Don't make it to light so it's a waste but imho better to be conservative with that first attempt. Second attempt should be close to gym best and third is a PR attempt.

And I think resting the whole week leading up to the meet is a good thing personally b/c you're well rested and antsy to hit the platform. Use that aggression/energy to your advantage.

Do you have anyone going with you to help load, count attempts (so you know how many lifts out you are), and do all the shit you don't need to be doing?

Last edited:
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
The good news is you don't have to worry about having someone wrap your knees since you and 4G are doing a no wrap, raw meet. Otherwise you'd want to make sure you know the person who'd be wrapping you b/c a bad wrap can fuk you up. Wrapping out instead of in or vice versa depending on what your preference is.

What's your gym lifts looking like and what are you thinking of making your attempts????.....

Here's also something to remember... you're performing 9 lifts in 1 day so it's really taxing and you may have to adjust accordingly for that throughout the meet. So don't be afraid to make adjustments on meet day.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I think your 90% could be good. Can you shoot me or post vids of your 90% lifts? I can kinda gauge by your barspeed.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
No FLEXjs; I am disappoint.

I don't prescribe to the triple rule either. But I agree with BI opener should be a given, 2nd attempt gym personal best and 3rd a PR.

I'm a relative newb with only 2 meets under my belt, but that's my $0.02

Good luck.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
I was gonna say 85-90% like POB said.

Start conservative. Treat your opener as your "last" warm up.

You're gonna do great man! Wish I could be there to watch!

Last edited:
mugzy

mugzy

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 11, 2010
I would suggest strategically analyzing who your competition is and if you can find out where they are opening. Let's face it if your max bench is 500 and your competitions max is 430 then open at 420 to get on the board and then go to 460 and then 500.

After a couple of years of competing you will have a good idea of who is in your weight class and about what numbers they are going to come in at.

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
I would suggest strategically analyzing who your competition is and if you can find out where they are opening. Let's face it if your max bench is 500 and your competitions max is 430 then open at 420 to get on the board and then go to 460 and then 500.

After a couple of years of competing you will have a good idea of who is in your weight class and about what numbers they are going to come in at.
Interesting you mention that - I think I'll be in competition with another guy who's hitting similar numbers... And I definitely wanna out-lift him!

I had a similar scheme for squats because I saw the guy hit 500 for a gym PR in December... So I was thinking of opening up somewhere close to that.

You're gonna do great man! Wish I could be there to watch!
Thanks my dude! I'll be posting the meet results video this weekend.

No FLEXjs; I am disappoint....
I'm a relative newb with only 2 meets under my belt, but that's my $0.02

Good luck.
No offense intended. This will only be my second meet. I mentioned those that have competed a decent amount... Not PL newbs like us! You already know I respect the crap out of you...

I think your 90% could be good. Can you shoot me or post vids of your 90% lifts? I can kinda gauge by your barspeed.
I'll get to it as soon as the kids are asleep.

Do you have anyone going with you to help load, count attempts (so you know how many lifts out you are), and do all the shit you don't need to be doing?

What's your gym lifts looking like and what are you thinking of making your attempts????.....
Luckily, I have a gang of people going with me. All my gym homies are coming and my triple OG friend I used to lift with. I begged him to handle me (no homo) with bribes of Chick-fil-A and he accepted. Who the fuxk wouldn't, right?!!

Gym lifts are wonky as hell...
Bench should be close to 4 - the flat foot thing is messing me up a bit
Squats will be super strong. I hit (with no wraps) 490 x 5 a few weeks ago, then 545 (no wraps) followed by a 600 with wraps as my last heavy day. Looking to do some damage early with that one!
Deads are killing me... No clue what to expect from them. Over 6 is my goal, but how much over? No clue... My last attempt at 600 was a super-grinder and that was almost two weeks ago. If my form dials in miraculously then I could be good for 625+
Bar whip and adrenaline should gimme a nice surprise - we pull with bullshit commercial gym bars every week so the Texas bars are like dessert!

Will post videos of 90% of training max later tonight.

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
What's your gym lifts looking like and what are you thinking of making your attempts???

Gym PRs:
Squat:545
Bench:410
Dead:625

Recent training...
squat:490 x 5
Bench:375 x 2 (not paused smh)
Dead: 565 x 2

----------------

I was thinking openers:
Squat 490
Bench 370
Dead 550

Second (tentative obviously.. But what I'd be semi-comfortable leaving the meet with):
Squat 545
Bench 390
Dead 600

Third....Fuxk a third right now.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
I think your openers look good man. A nice easy first round of attempts for you.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Looks like you will be damn close to a 1,600 total.

Dude you could be my new personal hero.

Again; Good Luck.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic