Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

High Reps vs Low Reps

any1uno

any1uno

MuscleHead
Dec 22, 2010
if you're looking at a goal for overall fitness...I like Bill Pearl's beginners BB routine. Although, it appears you and your wife are well past it. You can adjust accordingly. It may seem a little easy but, it's not a race but the over-all goal you are looking to achieve.

http://www.billpearl.com/20-months-to-a-champion-physique/month-1/

This is pretty straight forward. Of course..there are other routines but really like Bill Pearl!

oldschool1967

oldschool1967

VIP Member
Aug 6, 2011
I really appreciate that feedback and the last sentence is what my gut has been telling me.

I was about ready to double down and go to 5X5's. Lol. 12-15 reps for a bit--even a month wont kill what Ive accomplished. Im damn 45 years old. Ship has sailed on squatting 400+.

Really, I just want to try to stay lean as I move toward big ears age.

5x5, the single best move I ever made. the first 3 months, I gained , no exaggeration, 20lbs of quality muscle, could have been just the change up from years of trillion set sessions but don't really matter, It worked.

UncleAl

UncleAl

MuscleHead
Jun 20, 2012
At 45, you're still a pup. Started training a decade before you were born. If I can still squat double bodyweight, so can you...if you should ever desire to go in that direction.

If your primary goal is weight/fat loss and you have your diet dialed in (calories and macros), you are 80% covered. I'll also assume you know cardio and conditioning (specially HIIT) will help your cause immensely.

To answer your question, don't worry so much about reps. As POB said, it's more about getting in the volume, especially if you want to get lean. It's all about adaptation and response anyway. So, my suggestions are do high volume routines (to burn more calories), change your rep scheme every six to eight weeks (to keep your body guessing), and build in sufficent recovery time (to let your body supercompensate and prevent overtraining and those overuse injuries that are plaguing you and your lady).

Last edited:
tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Lots of good advice provided here. I'm kind of in HDH's school where I'm regularly changing up my rep ranges and weight. My body simply can't handle the stress of constant heavy weight, and changing things around seems to work well for me. I think the CNS needs a break every once in a while, and as you age, the frequency at which you give the CNS a break needs to increase.

Don't only change rep ranges, change the exercises periodically. For me, I'm not a powerlifter so I'm trying to stay healthy and "look" strong, rather than actually "be" strong. Things can vary based on your goals.

Reactions: HDH
Z

Zombie

Sep 30, 2015
When I do lower weight, I find it easier to concentrate on keeping proper form, which generally helps keep me injury free.

TNCOWBOY

TNCOWBOY

Jan 21, 2014
5x5, the single best move I ever made. the first 3 months, I gained , no exaggeration, 20lbs of quality muscle, could have been just the change up from years of trillion set sessions but don't really matter, It worked.

Ive seen this promoted many times all over and may go to that in November after this 2 month experiment is over. How many total sets do you do or rather, how many exercises I guess per body part? 20? 25?

I sincerely appreciate all who took time to offer personal experience.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Right, I agree. I'm only addressing technique here though. Build some proper motor patterns, cues or whatever you want to call it. Then start working up in weight.

AKA Neuromuscular facilitation. An untrained person's neuro system has trouble stabilizing and performing proper ROM etc. Using lighter weights at the start trains the neuro system to fire properly and thus, learning proper form and stability. So yes, you were correct

That said, for the purposes of bodybuilding, the long term research has shown reps of anywhere between 6-12 to be effective. We also now see that longer rest periods trump the short rest periods that BBers thought were better because, well, long rest periods were for PLers, and short were for BBers. Nope, no longer the case. Longer rest periods of 3-5 mins, even with a BBing routine has better results for hypertrophy and strength.

There are a few exceptions to the rules though. For instance, when performing leg extensions, reps up to even 25 were shown to be very effective. Heavy leg extensions are probably a bad idea anyway, so this is a no brainer.

Lastly, adding weight every week is what we call progressive overload. You have to remember, progressive overload has its limits. You cant just add weight every week, for the rest of your life. Add only enough to stay in the safe rep range.

I think most others hit on everything else that needed to be said.

Last edited:
SpyWizard

SpyWizard

VIP Member
Nov 24, 2015
I really appreciate that feedback and the last sentence is what my gut has been telling me.

I was about ready to double down and go to 5X5's. Lol. 12-15 reps for a bit--even a month wont kill what Ive accomplished. Im damn 45 years old. Ship has sailed on squatting 400+.

Really, I just want to try to stay lean as I move toward big ears age.

I'm confused... I'm turning 55 next month, i leg press 1200 for reps (not easily, 800 is easily) .. what does the age have to do with it?? am I doing it wrong?? overhead seated press 300..

you mean as i get older i can go easy??

Get after it brotha, unless injury is stopping you go as hard as you can as long as you can, use it or lose it..

V

Vick

MuscleHead
Jun 13, 2012
Arnie always said 5 sets x 20,15,10,5,3,1 to hit all the fibers.

ajdonutz

ajdonutz

VIP Member
May 23, 2012
High and low and medium. Mix it up. Frequently. Only way to hit every fiber and continually grow

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic