Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

High Reps vs Low Reps

TNCOWBOY

TNCOWBOY

Jan 21, 2014
Seeking advice. Lurker on this forum for awhile but have rarely posted. Ill try to be brief.

After a few years of neglect my wife and I got back into the gym 4 months ago. Essentially we have used a technique of 4 sets per exercise at the same weight. Once we can get 8 reps on all four reps we go up ten lbs the next week. Whether or not this is wise Ive had wild success doing this (and her to to a lesser extent) in strength gains, now able to lift over 200 lbs in the main lifts (Bench, DL, Squat) which I never did a single time in my life for any exercise before. I have mainly performed calistenic type work in the past to give myself an excuse.

A few weeks ago the wife pulled a quad and had been dealing with nagging soreness prior to that. As if on cue, I have now got an irritated quad and lat and feel pretty run down. During physical therapy the wifes PT dismissed what we had been doing as insanity and that we should be doing 3 sets per at a higher rep range--around 15.

I would assume switching up to high reps for a spell would be beneficial just for varietys sake. But curious overall what the experts in here recommend.

I understand there are many factors at play but in general what are some opinions?

I should add we are doing this for fat loss solely--both of us still have 30-40 lbs we want to cut. Lets also asssume diet is on the mark. It hasn't been, especially for me but that is just a matter of doing it. I have really no questions as to what we should be doing there.

Also, we are doing 20-24 sets total per body part except calves where its 12 and abs where we just do classes.

Thoughts?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I would say 8 reps is in the beginning stages of high reps...

And the PT is an idiot. That is all....

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
You can do any rep range you want.

It sounds like the problem is not listening to your bodies. At the first signs of problems, it's time to make adjustments.

Adding 10lbs consistently doesn't sound like much but over the weeks/months, it will take it's toll. Sounds like you are overdue for some type of break or backing off.

I would start by lowering weight and hit a higher rep range as suggested by the PT. You can do what you are doing but only for so long.

Nagging soreness means it's past time for a change. As you get more in tune with your bodies, you will see the signs before the become real problems and know when to back off.

I do 5 sets of everything but found my groove in high reps. I keep things mixed up with different lifting techniques. I have learned to spot problems right away and I'm not afraid to stop what I'm doing in the middle of a set.

For me, higher reps for more sets. Low reps for low sets. Everyone is different and you have to find what works for you. What's working for you, might not work for your wife.

H

Last edited:
PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Doesn't matter in the beginning really. Work on technique before attempting heavier sets of 5 or less.

So long as you achieve volume you are good. You can lift 20,000 pounds in one session with low weight and tons of reps or higher weight with less. But still apply the same amount of stress and fatigue.

TNCOWBOY

TNCOWBOY

Jan 21, 2014
You can do any rep range you want.

It sounds like the problem is not listening to your bodies. At the first signs of problems, it's time to make adjustments.

Adding 10lbs consistently doesn't sound like much but over the weeks/months, it will take it's toll. Sounds like you are overdue for some type of break or backing off.

I would start by lowering weight and hit a higher rep range as suggested by the PT. You can do what you are doing but only for so long.

Nagging soreness means it's past time for a change. As you get more in tune with your bodies, you will see the signs before the become real problems and know when to back off.

I do 5 sets of everything but found my groove in high reps. I keep things mixed up with different lifting techniques. I have learned to spot problems right away and I'm not afraid to stop what I'm doing in the middle of a set.

For me, higher reps for more sets. Low reps for low sets. Everyone is different and you have to find what works for you. What's working for you, might not work for your wife.

H

I really appreciate that feedback and the last sentence is what my gut has been telling me.

I was about ready to double down and go to 5X5's. Lol. 12-15 reps for a bit--even a month wont kill what Ive accomplished. Im damn 45 years old. Ship has sailed on squatting 400+.

Really, I just want to try to stay lean as I move toward big ears age.

TNCOWBOY

TNCOWBOY

Jan 21, 2014
Doesn't matter in the beginning really. Work on technique before attempting heavier sets of 5 or less.

So long as you achieve volume you are good. You can lift 20,000 pounds in one session with low weight and tons of reps or higher weight with less. But still apply the same amount of stress and fatigue.

My technique is seriously good. The only time I "cheat" a bit on reps is bicep curls. But I hear what you are saying. Ive always seen these guys in there working out with two plates on bench that I couldnt even max on and figured Ive been pussing out for 20 years.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011

I don't completely agree with this... low weight for high reps doesn't prepare the person to lift heavy weight for low reps. It doesn't get their nervous system trained to work correctly under that kind of stress.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I don't completely agree with this... low weight for high reps doesn't prepare the person to lift heavy weight for low reps. It doesn't get their nervous system trained to work correctly under that kind of stress.

Right, I agree. I'm only addressing technique here though. Build some proper motor patterns, cues or whatever you want to call it. Then start working up in weight.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Right, I agree. I'm only addressing technique here though. Build some proper motor patterns, cues or whatever you want to call it. Then start working up in weight.

Awwwww.... I completely agree with that.

TNCOWBOY

TNCOWBOY

Jan 21, 2014
Went ahead and dropped weight and worked up to 15 reps when possible this week. Gonna do this at least a month as an experiment if nothing else. Two things already Ive found very interesting.

1) Major DOMS beyond what is normal for me.

2) I notice that my body is really conditioned for a 6-8 rep range seemingly no matter the weight or exercise. That is to say, Im very fatigued by rep 8 and getting to 15 is a challenge.

Ex. My last Squat I did 4 sets of 8 at 225lbs. Dropped it to 150 this week and I did 15, 15, 12, 12. Every set after the 8th rep or so I was really having to push it. Very much surprised me considering how much less weight I was doing.

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Went ahead and dropped weight and worked up to 15 reps when possible this week. Gonna do this at least a month as an experiment if nothing else. Two things already Ive found very interesting.

1) Major DOMS beyond what is normal for me.

2) I notice that my body is really conditioned for a 6-8 rep range seemingly no matter the weight or exercise. That is to say, Im very fatigued by rep 8 and getting to 15 is a challenge.

Ex. My last Squat I did 4 sets of 8 at 225lbs. Dropped it to 150 this week and I did 15, 15, 12, 12. Every set after the 8th rep or so I was really having to push it. Very much surprised me considering how much less weight I was doing.

One thing that you'll find is that just about any switching up for training, your DOMS will be greater because your body isn't used to it.

One thing that I've found for this type of training, at the beginning, it can seem harder because you're just not used to it. I had never been so nauseated for different muscle groups than starting this type of routine.

You will have to find a balance with this. It's easy to get overworked with a volume routing such as this. It can take a few weeks to start feeling it but keep your eyes open. You want to look for a feeling of fatigue, being a little short with others and longer periods of soreness do to not recovering properly.

I might suggest you slow things down a bit, same weight, less reps but focus on time under tension (TUT) work. Start by slowing down on the negatives, perhaps a 4 sec drop. Before the slow negative, at the top of the movement, hold for a few seconds and give the muscle a good squeeze.

Put all your focus on the muscle being worked, feel it in the squeeze and concentrate on feeling it through the slow negative. Mind to muscle during the lifts along with TUT work will help you to go easy on your body and achieve some amazing results. It's good stuff for us older fellas, I'm 43 and have the least problems since I've switched over to this type of training.

Still, the most important factor in this is paying attention to what your body is telling you.

H

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic