Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

gym people types

Glycomann

Glycomann

VIP Member
Jan 19, 2011
when you look at the old footage from Gold's Gym Venice the guys are training hard but there is a comradery that I really like. These guys trained hard together, busted each others balls and laughed together, and they hung out together. Over the years I have had a similar kind of feel in a few gyms I have been a member of. Bodybuilding is an individual sport but that doesn't mean you have to be alone in this. Ear buds in heads down I use to do for a while and it can be great to get a little drive behind your work out but I don't think total isolation in one's own world is necessary to focus and concentrate at the task at hand. It's all in the mind and the ability to focus for that 15 or 30 seconds under the bar.

I really enjoy walking into the gym and the owner makes fun of my 1984 Gary Strydom pants or my ancient weight belt. Then I bust his balls about his haircut or something. Then maybe one of my WO partners walks in and says hey asshole chest and tris today right? and I tell him I'm going to hurt him. Then walking in the gym and Godfry jumps up on the bench bar and does a one legged squat balancing on the bar. Now that's a fucking gym.

I was training with one of my other friends about 2 weeks ago. he's an ex-pro skier about 6'2" 250 lbs and jacked. We did chest hard something like 28 sets. Then he said let me show you what I'm going for calves. So we went over to the leg press and this apparatus has a low bar on it that is just there for mechanical reasons. Well he placed his feet on it just so and paused at the top and bottom locking at the top. 10 sets every other day going heavy as possible. Then he yanks up his pant leg and bam its a shot and damn his calves looked better than they did 3 months ago. So I started hitting them and my calves were sore. Now with ear buds in and heads down there is no chance of that exchange.

I just think some of you are losing out on like by ear buds in head down ignoring the real world around you. Lots of people seem like fucktards but a lot of them are just like you. They are in the gym day after day looking to improve teir body and their life, a passion we share. So weed through the fucktards and seek out the Godfrys and the Mikes and the Joeys that bust their balls and figure out cools tuff that works for them. And before you know it some jack-ass in a torn tank is yelling hey asshole chest and tris tonight. And you turn around with a smirk on your fce becaus you know you are going to force his ass to do way more than he wants to and her is to you and in the mean time you guys are going to have a few laughs and talk about the old days and the new days and how his wife won't STFU about the new curtains or shoes.

Live your life guys and gals. We are only here for a short time but we are here for a good time. There is to much shit in this world not to take the time to make your own damn roses and then bend over and breath in their sweet smell.

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Well for each their own and I can see your point Glyco, but MY gym time is just that MINE, it is very personal and it is kind of like some people doing "church" I am into my own little place in the World full of solitude that I have created with my focus and determination leading the way, my music choices helps me along and to drown out the outside influences.

I was in the service for 1/4 century and have had all the "buddies" and "comeradere" time that I needed maybe I am still detoxing from all that but I am "in it to win it" and don't want anyone else in my private place right now.
So it is not about "ignoring the real world around you" as much as creating the World you want to be in at the moment:)

Glycomann

Glycomann

VIP Member
Jan 19, 2011
Like you said. To each his own. I really enjoy the interactions with others. Some people would rather enjoy their solitude.

Well for each their own and I can see your point Glyco, but MY gym time is just that MINE, it is very personal and it is kind of like some people doing "church" I am into my own little place in the World full of solitude that I have created with my focus and determination leading the way, my music choices helps me along and to drown out the outside influences.

I was in the service for 1/4 century and have had all the "buddies" and "comeradere" time that I needed maybe I am still detoxing from all that but I am "in it to win it" and don't want anyone else in my private place right now.
So it is not about "ignoring the real world around you" as much as creating the World you want to be in at the moment:)

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Did I mention I am jamming on Barry Manilow while training?;;)

Jenner

Friends Remembered
Jan 9, 2012
Nights has to many skiny tank top warein sob's for me with air-lats a goin. Mornings, but lately I've been using my own gym. much better!

I am soooooooooooooooooo jealous! Someday! :)

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
when you look at the old footage from Gold's Gym Venice the guys are training hard but there is a comradery that I really like. These guys trained hard together, busted each others balls and laughed together, and they hung out together. Over the years I have had a similar kind of feel in a few gyms I have been a member of. Bodybuilding is an individual sport but that doesn't mean you have to be alone in this. Ear buds in heads down I use to do for a while and it can be great to get a little drive behind your work out but I don't think total isolation in one's own world is necessary to focus and concentrate at the task at hand. It's all in the mind and the ability to focus for that 15 or 30 seconds under the bar.

I really enjoy walking into the gym and the owner makes fun of my 1984 Gary Strydom pants or my ancient weight belt. Then I bust his balls about his haircut or something. Then maybe one of my WO partners walks in and says hey asshole chest and tris today right? and I tell him I'm going to hurt him. Then walking in the gym and Godfry jumps up on the bench bar and does a one legged squat balancing on the bar. Now that's a fucking gym.

I was training with one of my other friends about 2 weeks ago. he's an ex-pro skier about 6'2" 250 lbs and jacked. We did chest hard something like 28 sets. Then he said let me show you what I'm going for calves. So we went over to the leg press and this apparatus has a low bar on it that is just there for mechanical reasons. Well he placed his feet on it just so and paused at the top and bottom locking at the top. 10 sets every other day going heavy as possible. Then he yanks up his pant leg and bam its a shot and damn his calves looked better than they did 3 months ago. So I started hitting them and my calves were sore. Now with ear buds in and heads down there is no chance of that exchange.

I just think some of you are losing out on like by ear buds in head down ignoring the real world around you. Lots of people seem like fucktards but a lot of them are just like you. They are in the gym day after day looking to improve teir body and their life, a passion we share. So weed through the fucktards and seek out the Godfrys and the Mikes and the Joeys that bust their balls and figure out cools tuff that works for them. And before you know it some jack-ass in a torn tank is yelling hey asshole chest and tris tonight. And you turn around with a smirk on your fce becaus you know you are going to force his ass to do way more than he wants to and her is to you and in the mean time you guys are going to have a few laughs and talk about the old days and the new days and how his wife won't STFU about the new curtains or shoes.

Live your life guys and gals. We are only here for a short time but we are here for a good time. There is to much shit in this world not to take the time to make your own damn roses and then bend over and breath in their sweet smell.

I think there's a vibe that we all pick up on and can pick out the people who are full of shit, the people who have no clue, the people who are just going thru the motions and the people who are serious. I don't engage w/ a lot of people - some people freak out if you try to suggest something to improve their form (or keep them from killing themselves), so I generally just don't bother w/ that. But I'm always watching. I notice when I see nice form or a good lift, and I will usually let that person know too. If you're a regular, you can pick out the regulars and notice their progress (or not). But usually between the bad music and crossfit crowd, I use my time in the gym to go into my head and indulge myself in my own heavy metal music and my own personal challenges of "just to see if I can". Its been my therapy for 30 yrs and it works. Its the one way I'm guaranteed to come out relaxed and feeling satisfied. And I just believe we all generally gravitate towards others who "get it" and filter the rest out.

Jenner

Friends Remembered
Jan 9, 2012
I have to go straight after work so I am part of the 5:30 pm crowd, lots of the same peeps day in and day out..most youngins. I am very serious and focused when I am at the gym, I don't like to be bothered and I know I don't look friendly so no one does...lol

I have learned to not offer advice as most times it's taken as criticism. I get in and get out and I don't allow BS keeping me from getting my stuff done.

kingkrazy1012

kingkrazy1012

Dec 1, 2011

At another gym I used I had the same type of experiance as you but the one I go to now all the folks that ARE serious are the ones with the "Earbuds with the head down" type crowd. Me included.

I am going to leave the Ipod in the locker today I believe and see if I can interact with people a little more.

htu

htu

Jan 15, 2012
Lately, all times suck. Everyone just goes to do "core training" now. The hardcore people are a dying breed. I train at 6am because of my schedule and pretty much have done that time for 20 years. I just put on my ipod and train my ass off while the others just mill around and look pathetic. There are probably less then 5 real bodybuilders at my current gym, but I live in a small southern town.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic