Members
Latest Member
jacobss

grip strength / Captains of Crush

nychris

nychris

MuscleHead
Oct 12, 2012
For all of you PL'ers and strongmen competitors on here, what do you all do to increase your grip strength? Does anyone use the Captains of Crush grippers?

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Grippers are in a class of thier own and will only improve your gripper strength.
What exactly grip wise do you want to improve. IE dead lift? Farmers ? Axle ?

DLTH

DLTH

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2011
I'm not a powerlifter but I had grip problems and just got some hooks that work better than straps.

wesleyinman

wesleyinman

MuscleHead
Jan 9, 2014
I like CoC's :) I have used them regularly and I do believe they help.

For me I found just doing thick bar work such as farmers holds or farmers walk helps me the most :)

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
My grip strength is great, and I contribute it to never using gloves, and rarely using straps. Some argue that I am not getting a good back workout in by not using straps, but IMO, compound exercises are designed to help you work a multiple things and that our bodies work as a system. I want as few weak links as possible.

That said, I will admit to using straps on my heaviest set of pulldowns. Reason why, is that the bar is smooth, and even with a great grip, you just can't hang on to it.

I also do BB shrugs, and when my traps are fatigued, I hang on to the bar until my grip gives out.

DLTH

DLTH

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2011
My grip strength is great, and I contribute it to never using gloves, and rarely using straps. Some argue that I am not getting a good back workout in by not using straps, but IMO, compound exercises are designed to help you work a multiple things and that our bodies work as a system. I want as few weak links as possible.

That said, I will admit to using straps on my heaviest set of pulldowns. Reason why, is that the bar is smooth, and even with a great grip, you just can't hang on to it.

I also do BB shrugs, and when my traps are fatigued, I hang on to the bar until my grip gives out.

All my fingers don't work so that's why I need them, plus I have small little girly hands.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Grippers are in a class of thier own and will only improve your gripper strength.

I highlighted the only word, cause I'm not sure they don't at least help any test of grip a little? I do remember being in a gym years ago when the guy who was the 1st and only (for a time) to close the #3 CoC gripper hosted a guy who was known for nail bending. The two had a great old time, male bonding, mutually respecting each other's strength, and outdoing each other in their specialties. There are sites that instruct and/or sell ways to develop overall or specific grip strength. Milo and sorinex are 2 that come to mind, but google knows others.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Respectfully I'm going to walk away from this conversation.

I'm not going to argue I said my thoughts and don't care to debate them

nychris

nychris

MuscleHead
Oct 12, 2012

My grip is not terrible, but I'd like to get to the point where I can do all lifts without straps. I mostly only use them for deads and shrugs.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
All my fingers don't work so that's why I need them, plus I have small little girly hands.

I remember you mentioning you had issues with your fingers as well. I dont count injuries as excuses, and you just have to do what you need to be safe and get in a workout.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
For all of you PL'ers and strongmen competitors on here, what do you all do to increase your grip strength? Does anyone use the Captains of Crush grippers?

Ditched straps years ago and really don't do any specific exercises for grip strength, but I frequently do static holds on deadlifts on the last rep of heavy sets, and when I do singles I almost always hold for 3-5 seconds.

Seems to work; forearms are a good size and I've never failed on a PR attempt due to loss of grip.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic