Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh

grip strength / Captains of Crush

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
Since I ditched straps for everything except BB shrugs (don't use them on DB shrugs), my grip strength has improved tremendously in the last year.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
That 545 block pull backs that up.

EXACTLY!!!! Actually I'll give you credit where it's due also.

Check this people: a little over a year ago, I send POB a video of me doing 405 for a couple doubles. He tears me apart in the video, slicing and dicing my form and the intro to my "critique email" was ditch the straps.....I wish I still had the email somewhere....this was before I started training like a powerlifter.

so the next week, I'm ready to pull 405 for some triples right? I ditch the straps and I can barely hang on to 365 and failed after 1 rep on 405.

last month, I block pulled 545 and held on to that muthafkn bar for at least 6-10 secs to pose for the camera lol.....g-damn it felt good! THe pic is on this site somewhere

So yea, ditch the straps if you want to hold more weight, I'm a clear case of validation.

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
I don't use straps or hooks fort any workout myself and my grip is pretty damn good I myself feel when training properly you don't need to focus on Grippers or anything else as you get plenty of gripping with your regular workout.
However this may be off the OP's topic for which I apologize.
Never used them sorry.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
I'm with Rottenrogue on this one.

I've closed the 2.5, and come close with the 3 but all they seem to do is flare up my tendons.

To improve my grip strength I've had the best success with plate or block pinches and just never using straps until I really need to. Pulling double-overhand helps too.

But in the end, there's no substitute for heavy weight in your hands.
The only time I'll use straps is if I am doing rack pulls with more than 100lbs over my top deadlift.

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
I'm glad I popped in this thread. A lot of good info here. I've considered dropping the straps on lifts but my ego won't let me! I know in the long run it's gonna be better for everything but I hate not pulling heavy weight for the time being. I think I need to drop the ego and do it though.

N.O.V.

N.O.V.

MuscleHead
Jan 24, 2014
If you want to deadlift without straps, just deadlift without straps. Farmers walks are great, heavy shrugs and Kroc rows are great as well. But nothing will improve your grip strength better than deadlifting strapless. Double paused deadlifts are good for grip also (pause once you break the ground, and again above the knee).

Bionixx

Bionixx

MuscleHead
Dec 6, 2011
OK the CoC 2 are pretty hard to get closed. When lifting hard I can get closed 5+ times. Not easy!

An alternative is towel ups until your hands cramp!!

Last edited:
Joliver

Joliver

MuscleHead
Jan 19, 2014
Ed Coan said you should train your grip strength to hold the bar....by holding the bar.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic