lk has no balls
What's New?

Good Protein, bad Protein

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Food for thought..

Good Protein Bad Protein: 4 Ingredients To Avoid and Why It’s Mandatory for Physical and Mental Stamina

I’m sick of seeing the same damn poison on the shelf of every gym I go to…

As a private pilot, I travel a lot. And no matter where I go, gym owners and personal trainers always get their protein recommendation wrong. As a chemist, it’s annoying. Not only is it counter to health, but it’s also toxic. Before I explain, let me highlight the importance of getting enough protein, in case you didn’t already know.

The body is constantly refurbishing itself. Like a lizard shedding skin or regenerating a new tail, your atoms are always being reproduced to yield a newer, healthier you. Technically, it’s know as cellular turnover. And it’s fueled by protein.

In The Stop Eating So F#$%ing Much Diet, I taught that turnover replaces our entire skeletal system in the first year of life. As adults, 10% is renewed. The liver and the pancreas regenerate every year or two. Our gastrointestinal tract and skin are replaced every five days. And of course, turnover gives rise to lean muscle. After all, muscle is nothing more than the by-product of healing – the more you damage your muscles, the healthier they grow. Like so many things in organic chemistry, this proves the adage, “that which doesn’t kill you only makes you stronger.”

Just like cell turnover restores and ensures the integrity of our physical make-up, it also supports mental stamina. When working properly, it activates an internal pharmacy that manufactures pain killing and emotion soothing chemicals. They’re known predominantly as opioids. These compounds attenuate physical pain. But more importantly, they also help curb everyday stress and depression. Without them, life can be a real bitch.

This helps explain why many people who lack protein are typically ill, depressed or reach their “wit’s end” sooner and find life harder to cope with – they aren’t activating cellular turnover! Athletes, the elderly and children are most susceptible. In this regard, protein intake represents a forgotten, therapeutic option for increasing not only physical health but also mental stamina.

The best sources of protein are brewers yeast, seeds, nuts, fish, chicken, grass-fed beef, whole eggs, cottage cheese and whey protein. The easiest way to ensure proper protein intake is to incorporate whey into your daily diet.

A byproduct of the cheese making process, whey is loaded with essential amino acids (EAA’s). These are mandatory fuel for cellular turnover. Not only has whey proven to be a miracle cure for atrophy, but, it’s also been discovered to activate a host of anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer compounds produced by cellular turnover.

4 Things to Avoid in Whey Protein Powders

Sadly, the FDA has little regulation on how whey is processed or what can be added to it. Therefore, what should be healthy, is actually a product that seriously undermines your health. Here are four things to avoid in bad protein powders:

Denatured and Hydrolyzed Protein

Proteins only work if they keep their three dimensional shape. That’s because, like a key for a lock, they work by triggering select receptors. When whey protein undergoes denaturing or hydrolyzation, it loses the proper dimensions intended by nature. Effectiveness is lost and the renewing process of cellular turnover wanes. Adding to the negative outcome, these processing methods give rise to toxic levels of free aspartic acid and glutamic acid (MSG). Both have toxicity profiles that make party drugs look like health foods.

He may be a chemist as he claims, but he understands little about biology.

He compares cell turnover with atoms being replaced. That is a bad example because atoms are not cells and cells are not atoms. It is like comparing a grain of sand to a frog. Just not a good comparison.

He mistakenly claims for whey protein to be effective in the body, it should not be denatured. In making this statement he shows he misunderstands how the whey protein is being utilized by the body. When you eat food, it is digested by your stomach and intestines. Proteins are broken apart into their basic components -- amino acids, or shorter amino acid chains, then absorbed from your intestines into your bloodstream. So if the protein is whole when it enters your stomach, it is denatured by the digestive process before it is absorbed to the bloodstream. This is biology 101.

He states that essential amino acids are fuel for cell turnover. That is simply not true and it is not a good analogy. This is because amino acids are the building blocks for proteins that your body manufactures, and essential amino acids (think BCAAs) are those aminos your body cannot produce on its own. Yes they are good, and are essential to your health. But they are not preferred as fuel for cells, or cell turnover as he claims. Rather carbs and fats are the fuel for the cell and your whole body. Remember the krebs cycle from biology 101? Sugars and fats fuel that cycle. I don't think protein can ever substitute for carbs and/or fats as a source of energy for the body.

If this guy is so far off on the basics, how can we trust anything he has to say?

Grumpyfit

Grumpyfit

MuscleHead
Jun 7, 2012
WW, I have questioned that "protein as a source of energy for the body" claim. Maybe in an extreme case when the body has gone into survival mode.

Diesel0022

Diesel0022

MuscleHead
Oct 1, 2013
Remember the krebs cycle from biology 101? Sugars and fats fuel that cycle. I don't think protein can ever substitute for carbs and/or fats as a source of energy for the body.

If this guy is so far off on the basics, how can we trust anything he has to say?

WW, I have questioned that "protein as a source of energy for the body" claim. Maybe in an extreme case when the body has gone into survival mode.

Not necessarily, it happens more often than you think. The carbon skeleton of certain aminos don't need to be converted to glucose in order to yield energy since they can enter the TCAc. Can you depend on this? No. This mainly happens because you have inadequate fat/carb intake, so your body must convert skeletal muscle protein to glucose via gluconeogenesis. With that comes increased cortisol....which means stress, lethargy, etc etc. Without cortisol, you'd risk progressive neural decline.

Point? Sugar is fine, artificial sweeteners are fine - All in moderation

Protein is protein..........most of the time

Soy protein is perfectly safe.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Point? Sugar is fine, artificial sweeteners are fine - All in moderation

Protein is protein..........most of the time

Soy protein is perfectly safe.
I've thought that about soy for many years, and I use it myself from time to time. I'm of the belief that any xenoestrogenic compounds that are present would not be in any strength or amount big enough to have any effect on the user.

I'd rather use sugar than artificial sweeteners personally although I don't use either of them. Sugar is essentially classed as a neurotoxin and it wouldn't surprise me if artificial sweeteners fell into the same category; as you suggested, moderation is key.

P

Panda1984

Oct 1, 2013
Interesting read! I agree that you really need to read the labels, especially with processed foods that appear healthy... Paleogenic diets offer a lot of positives in terms of avoiding processed foods but tend not to be sustainable as a lifestyle. On the whole grass-fed and wild caught seem to me to avoid many hidden food-chain additions (e.g. Farmed salmon don't get their normal crustacean-based nutrition needs and the man-made additive causes metabolic and fat-storing issues). Fully agree that artificial sweeteners are incredibly bad for you and would add addictive!

One theory I would be interested in discussing with you: with diet colas there is a high concentration of phosphoric acid... And these drinks have been linked to osteoporosis and brittle bones as well as tooth decay despite having no sugar. So, I think that the body must maintain a balance of calcium and phosphorus. When an excess of calcium is in the body it is stored as additional bone/enamel etc but if an excess of phosporus occurs then calcium is released or dissolved from these bodyparts to maintain the balance - too much and the bones weaken?

What do you think? Just a little thesis but I might research it more!

P

Panda1984

Oct 1, 2013
One other suggestion - casein before bed is great for slow release protein but it is less bioavailable than whey isolate (agree should probably be unflavoured as per discussion above) BUT whey isolate taken with a fat before bed will be highly bioavailable and slow-release...

So maybe a whey isolate shake with organic natural peanut butter (no palm oil) is better?

Jasthace

Jasthace

MuscleHead
May 29, 2011
The Main point of issue to me in his Claims,was that Denaturing and hydrolyzation of Whey to produce Isolate can destroy protein quality.
Apparently according to an article by a chap by the name of Will Brink this is infact true...

Many people are under the impression that a WPC is inherently inferior to an isolate. This is simply untrue.

Though WPCs will contain less protein on a gram for gram basis than an isolate, a high quality WPC contains all sorts of interesting compounds not found in the isolates.

Good concentrates contain far higher levels of growth factors, such as IGF-1, TGF-1, and TGF-2. They contain much higher levels of various phospholipids, and various bioactive lipids, such as conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), and they often contain higher levels of immunoglobulins and lactoferrin.

To me that makes concerntrate a better choice of Whey.. there fore this may be said to validate the issue that when Whey protein undergoes denaturing or hydrolyzation, it loses the proper dimensions intended by nature. Effectiveness is lost. Stated in the very first post of this Thread.

Good concentrates contain far higher levels of growth factors, such as IGF-1, TGF-1, and TGF-2. They contain much higher levels of various phospholipids, and various bioactive lipids, such as conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), and they often contain higher levels of immunoglobulins and lactoferrin.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/willbrink3.htm

Last edited:
macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
The Main point of issue to me in his Claims,was that Denaturing and hydrolyzation of Whey to produce Isolate can destroy protein quality.
Apparently according to an article by a chap by the name of Will Brink this is infact true...

To me that makes concerntrate a better choice of Whey.. there fore this may be said to validate the issue that when Whey protein undergoes denaturing or hydrolyzation, it loses the proper dimensions intended by nature. Effectiveness is lost. Stated in the very first post of this Thread.

You are not understanding completely what he is saying and what you are saying it totally incorrect.

It has nothing to do with hydrolyzation. It has EVERYTHING to do with how isolates are produced. There are several methods. Cheaper isolates (ion-exchange) strip away many of the health benefit aspects of whey in the process of stripping the carbs and fats. However, good quality (cold processed, micro filtered) still have all additional micro nutrients, nucleopeptides...etc ....but they are significantly more expensive then either concentrates or ion-exchange.

It seems you have an interest in this stuff but you need to spend some more time reading about it and not just parrot a single article and then use a article TOTALLY unrelated to it to back up claims from the first. Lots of good info on the net if you care to research it.

Jasthace

Jasthace

MuscleHead
May 29, 2011
You are not understanding completely what he is saying and what you are saying it totally incorrect.

It has nothing to do with hydrolyzation. It has EVERYTHING to do with how isolates are produced. There are several methods. Cheaper isolates (ion-exchange) strip away many of the health benefit aspects of whey in the process of stripping the carbs and fats. However, good quality (cold processed, micro filtered) still have all additional micro nutrients, nucleopeptides...etc ....but they are significantly more expensive then either concentrates or ion-exchange.

It seems you have an interest in this stuff but you need to spend some more time reading about it .

I don't need to now.. you just told me what I need to know, why didn't you say that in the beginning! . i.e after my second post.. now I don't have to go to pudmed and read through all that geek gibberish.. Thanks, your a real MacGyver.. but just a few too many knots and twists

Last edited:
Diesel0022

Diesel0022

MuscleHead
Oct 1, 2013
I've thought that about soy for many years, and I use it myself from time to time. I'm of the belief that any xenoestrogenic compounds that are present would not be in any strength or amount big enough to have any effect on the user.

I'd rather use sugar than artificial sweeteners personally although I don't use either of them. Sugar is essentially classed as a neurotoxin and it wouldn't surprise me if artificial sweeteners fell into the same category; as you suggested, moderation is key.

Patrick Arnold had a study performed where the results showed 0 hormonal change in participants that consumed 50G Soy PRO/Day

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
I don't need to now.. you just told me what I need to know, why didn't you say that in the beginning! . i.e after my second post.. now I don't have to go to pudmed and read through all that geek gibberish.. Thanks, your a real MacGyver.. but just a few too many knots and twists

With attitudes like this you discourage others from taking the time to help others out. If everyone on the forum was like you, they would wait around to be spoon fed info.

You are a real asset to the forum.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011

It seems you have an interest in this stuff but you need to spend some more time reading about it and not just parrot a single article and then use a article TOTALLY unrelated to it to back up claims from the first. Lots of good info on the net if you care to research it.

There is no such thing as whey protein isolate that has not been pasteurized at at least 57*c for 15-20 minutes. The industry standard I believe is 65*c for 20 minutes for ALL whey products. This cold-filtered process crap makes it sound like the wpi has never seen heat that strips and denatures the native protein. That's completely bogus. It can't be sold in America if it hasn't been pasteurized, end of story.

The good news is, there is a protein called "native milk protein isolate" that is pasteurized at the bare minimum temperature for the bare minimum length of time. Apparently whey protein denatures (and loses enzymes) at a temperature that falls between the bare minimum and the industry standard, and therefore CAN be pasteurized without "ruining" to some extent, the efficacy of the protein.

I don't have time to link some studies to this and I'm on my phone so it would be a pain, but I've been doing a lot of supplement industry research recently so I'm down for a healthy debate.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic