Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Good Protein, bad Protein

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Man, so much I want to comment on here as there is a reasonable amount of misinformation. But I am on my 3rd beer so I will refrain for now.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
This is why I posted his claims, because he says the opposite , he says "Proteins only work if they keep their three dimensional shape. That’s because, like a key for a lock, they work by triggering select receptors. When whey protein undergoes denaturing or hydrolyzation, it loses the proper dimensions intended by nature. Effectiveness is lost.

This is what he says in about proteins better detail you might like to watch his informative video
http://proteinpowder.mercola.com/Pro-Optimal-Whey-Protein.html

Not really a Bro-Science Dude, he holds master's degree in organic chemistry and is the author of Over-The-Counter Natural Cures (SourceBooks). He's been quoted by USA Today, Shape, Woman's World, US News and World Report, as well as Women's Health and appeared on Fox and NBC as a medicine and health expert.

Great, I have a bridge I can sell you real cheap.... You interested?

Srs man.... Are you incapable of doing any research on your own and you believe anything that a guy with some letters after his name (that is also trying to sell a product) will tell you? Come on man....I have no idea your age...but this is the stuff 16yo kids fall for. Personally, I'm over 40 and seen hundreds of shuksters and learned to spell BS a mile away.

1st hint.....no scientific references at all. Guys with any kind of real credibility will generally cite valid scientific study when they are making claims. 2nd hint....he is selling something. (although sometimes the guys are just selling themselves....this guy you can see coming a mile away shilling his overpriced products).

OK....now to your statement that the body cant use hydrolyzed protein. This is just stupid....sorry. Learn to use PubMed.....or just google for that matter.

A few quick examples that took me all of 45 seconds to find: (fyi....these studies deal with ULTRA-hydrolyzed protein...which by your guys statements, would be totally useless by the body)

demonstrated that a 35-gram dose of rapidly absorbed protein hydrolysate containing mostly di- and tripeptides is about 30% more effective in stimulating muscle anabolism than intact protein when measured over a 6-hour period (Koopman et al. 2009).

Tang and colleagues (2009) have suggested that ingestion of whey protein hydrolysate results in a larger increase in blood amino acids and muscle anabolism than soy protein or casein both at rest and after resistance exercise.

Cribb and co-workers (2006) investigated the effects of supplementation with two protein supplements on muscle strength and body composition during a 10-week, supervised resistance training program.

In a double-blind protocol, recreational male bodybuilders supplemented their normal diet with either hydrolyzed whey protein or casein (1.5 grams/kilogram of body weight/day) for the duration of the program. The authors reported that the whey protein hydrolysate group achieved substantially greater gains in muscle strength and lean body mass compared to the casein group.

Buckley and colleagues (2009) examined whether hydrolyzed whey protein speeds recovery more effectively than intact whey protein, following eccentric exercise. The subjects performed 100 maximal eccentric contractions of their knee extensors and then consumed either 25 grams of hydrolyzed whey protein or intact whey protein.

Whey protein hydrolysate also enhances the effects of carbohydrate ingestion on post-exercise muscle glycogen resynthesis, as demonstrated by Morifuji and co-workers (2009).

So there is just a nibble of info. I dont know you, but simply suggest that you actually learn to research things you are interested in rather then just parroting information that comes from a guy that sounds like he knows what he is talking about. The internet is a great thing.....info is easy to find if you really want to learn.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
This is what he says in about proteins better detail you might like to watch his informative video
Code:
http://proteinpowder.mercola.com/Pro-Optimal-Whey-Protein.html
Mercola has been exposed numerous times as a sham, you need to do your own research on products instead of believeing what he says. Did you know that he has been reprimanded by the FDA three times for lying about his products? Here's a few links you might want to take a quick look at:

Code:
http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2012/02/01/joe-mercola-proof-positive-that-quackery/
http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/for-shame-dr-oz/
http://www.quackwatch.com/11Ind/mercola.html
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Joseph_Mercola
http://www.skepdic.com/mercola.html
http://www.skepticblog.org/2010/11/01/joseph-mercola-misinformation-and-fear-mongering-about-vaccines/
http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2012/08/03/15-years-of-promoting-quackery/

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Mercola has been exposed numerous times as a sham, you need to do your own research on products instead of believeing what he says. Did you know that he has been reprimanded by the FDA three times for lying about his products? Here's a few links you might want to take a quick look at:

340x.gif

Jasthace

Jasthace

MuscleHead
May 29, 2011
Srs man.... Are you incapable of doing any research on your own and you believe anything that a guy with some letters after his name (that is also trying to sell a product) will tell you? Come on man....I have no idea your age...but this is the stuff 16yo kids fall for. Personally, I'm over 40 and seen hundreds of shuksters and learned to spell BS a mile away

I didn't say I believe him. I asked what people thought about his claims. You are making presumptions. Yes I mentioned he had a qualification.That didn't mean I believe his claims as actual fact or was interested in buying his product.

Ok...now to your statement that the body cant use hydrolyzed protein. This is just stupid....sorry. Learn to use PubMed.....or just google for that matter..

That's not my statement, I didn't claim that,he did ...

A few quick examples that took me all of 45 seconds to find: (fyi....these studies deal with ULTRA-hydrolyzed protein...which by your guys statements, would be totally useless by the body)

So there is just a nibble of info. I dont know you, but simply suggest that you actually learn to research things you are interested in rather then just parroting information that comes from a guy that sounds like he knows what he is talking about. The internet is a great thing.....info is easy to find if you really want to learn.

Bro you are crazy , I didn't parrot his information and say it was correct, I posted this guys claims about " good protein bad protein " and asked what people thought of it.Yes I said he had a Masters Degree in Organic Chemistry,so not just bro science..
and of course I'm aware that there are many many many studies that support Whey Protein Isolates bioavailability and positive effect on muscle anabolism...
You came up with some lovely links, thanks

Don't forget this is a discussion board ... :)

Yes I have Google https://www.google.co.nz/

This week I have done 7x 12 hour shifts at work , 3 days and four nights. I don't feel like researching studies, in favour of what this guy claims,{perhaps at pubmed you suggest} when I get home , but making a quick post , I can do

I believe that you really love your bucket of protein powder and feel very upset if somebody suggests that it might not be as great as you believe it to be...

Last edited:
B

Butkus62

Apr 10, 2013
Hello , guys just wanted to intoduce myself i am Dick Butkus M.D.P.H.D. and after recent studies I have found that a major mucsle growth and recovery agent is found in a molecular poperty in cow shit , called [shitilitus ],,... When combined with fresh warm horse cum it is truely a recipe for success..I have found a way to bond these key ingrediants and bottle this product ready to sale...so take my word for it and email me for details on ordering takes me a few to get the horse cum [dont ask ] ...

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Hello , guys just wanted to intoduce myself i am Dick Butkus M.D.P.H.D. and after recent studies I have found that a major mucsle growth and recovery agent is found in a molecular poperty in cow shit , called [shitilitus ],,... When combined with fresh warm horse cum it is truely a recipe for success..I have found a way to bond these key ingrediants and bottle this product ready to sale...so take my word for it and email me for details on ordering takes me a few to get the horse cum [dont ask ] ...

Sounds legit

Diesel0022

Diesel0022

MuscleHead
Oct 1, 2013
What in the heck am I reading.

You're body can still utilize hydrolyzed and denatured protein (PS. your stomach denatures the protein, dumbed down, it's when it "unravels" and its ability to be digested increases). Thats just one less process your body has to do

this site is worse than AM

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
this site is worse than AM

Woah there buddy, slow down. You didn't read the replies he got from all the members here for this. Don't judge the board based on one single post.

Diesel0022

Diesel0022

MuscleHead
Oct 1, 2013
I did not read all the replies, I had to stop at the guy who personally attempted to validate the points made in the original post

Jasthace

Jasthace

MuscleHead
May 29, 2011
No guy personally tried to validate the points made.
This guy Selling his product is saying that whey protein concentrate is better than Whey protein isolate because protein unravelling during Denaturisation and Hydrolyzation Protein process can destroy usable larger protein structures and also cause unusable misfolded proteins in the D formation.
One guy questioned the claims and asked for peoples opinions.

Diesel0022

Diesel0022

MuscleHead
Oct 1, 2013
This genius did.

These four statements stand all true though.

4 Things to Avoid in Whey Protein Powders

Sadly, the FDA has little regulation on how whey is processed or what can be added to it. Therefore, what should be healthy, is actually a product that seriously undermines your health. Here are four things to avoid in bad protein powders:

Denatured and Hydrolyzed Protein

Proteins only work if they keep their three dimensional shape. That’s because, like a key for a lock, they work by triggering select receptors. When whey protein undergoes denaturing or hydrolyzation, it loses the proper dimensions intended by nature. Effectiveness is lost and the renewing process of cellular turnover wanes. Adding to the negative outcome, these processing methods give rise to toxic levels of free aspartic acid and glutamic acid (MSG). Both have toxicity profiles that make party drugs look like health foods.

Artificial Sweeteners

Artificial sweeteners screw up your metabolism and drastically increase your risk of cancer. A recent study review published in the Yale Journal of Biology and Medicine noted that the rise in the percentage of obese Americans coincides with an increase in the widespread use of non-caloric artificial sweeteners like aspartame and sucralose (Splenda).

A 2012 mega-analysis of the Health Professionals Follow-Up Study (HPFS) and the Nurses’ Health Study (NHS) looked at epidemiological data from a 22 year period. It found that the artificial sweetener aspartame was a “multi-potential carcinogenic agent,” which significantly increases the risk of many cancers like myeloma, non-Hodgkin lymphomas and leukemia. Clearly not something that belongs in a health product!

Soy Protein

In the early 1990′s soy products exploded onto the marketplace promising numerous health benefits. Soy protein isolate was feverishly added to meal replacement shakes, bottled fruit drinks, protein bars, soups and sauces, baked goods, meats, breakfast cereals and dietary supplements. It was less expensive than dairy whey and was poised to be the king of protein…That is, until its gender-bending qualities were discovered.

A growing body of research revealed that soy protein contains plant estrogens such as genistein and daidzein, causing feminizing effects in the male body. A Harvard study published in the journal Human Reproduction also found a strong association between men’s consumption of soy foods and decreased sperm counts. In total, studies show that soy increases inflammation, depletes the body of nutrients and disrupts thyroid function.

Sugar

Sugar gives rise to the two biggest threats to health: fat gain and insatiable appetite. The minute you consume it, your hormones begin to favor fat storage over fat burning. Simultaneously, it sets off an artificial feeling of hunger hours later. If that’s not bad enough, it’s the leading cause of Type II diabetes and feeds cancer growth. The only acceptable sweetener for any whey protein is stevia.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic