Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Food Prices

I

Iron1

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2021
Corporate profits are at an all time high. It doesn't take much to figure out the reason profits are breaking records is from consumers like you and me getting gouged without wages going up to compensate. Our minimum wage purchasing power is worse now than it was in the great depression.

"People" in general seem to want any form of government out of business so when businesses with monopolies such as, oh, our entire food and energy sectors decide they want to increase their profits but not their wages, what tools does the average American have to fight back?

Do the largest corporations have completely unchecked powers to gouge Americans? What are your thoughts about what should be done about the blatant consumer gouging and stagnant wage growth?

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
I have a couple of people per year I'll go in halves on a cow with. (we will also split 4,000 rd cases of ammo). Combined with catching the "managers specials" at the local markets I do ok on food prices. Eggs are finally back to normal prices and I can get 120 large for $9.74 I also supplement my deep freeze with burger that I get from sams club for $36 per 10 pounds.

There is no reason for meat and egg prices to be what they are in some places when I can still get 16oz ribeyes for $6

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
US food prices are out of control. I’m working over in Europe and I cannot believe how cheap the food is and the quality and flavor. How many of us would love to have a protein and veggie with rice for $3…from the local store… I mean wth. Dinners have been cheap too. I’d be broke in the states eating out what I am.

two_slug

two_slug

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2012
At least eggs have come down. They had a dozen at kroger for $1.79
You're right about that. I'm paying around $7.00 for a 60 count box at Walmart where as this time last yr, they were over $20.00 a box. We go through a couple of boxes a week, and I was actually thinking of buying some laying hens last year. lol
It seems like eggs are the exception because nothing else is going down.:(

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
You're right about that. I'm paying around $7.00 for a 60 count box at Walmart where as this time last yr, they were over $20.00 a box. We go through a couple of boxes a week, and I was actually thinking of buying some laying hens last year. lol
It seems like eggs are the exception because nothing else is going down.:(
Yep. Milk, beef, chicken and such still high. Pork has come down, I can get pork butts or shoulders for $1.79 lbs. which is pre covid price. Ribs have come down but not nearly as much.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I recently travelled across the US and couldn't believe the prices some pay for food. I thought prices were bad in my state, but travelled to where my brother lives (a blue state) and the prices were literally 100% higher. His state raised the minimum wage to over $15 an hour and the price of everything went with it.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
I recently travelled across the US and couldn't believe the prices some pay for food. I thought prices were bad in my state, but travelled to where my brother lives (a blue state) and the prices were literally 100% higher. His state raised the minimum wage to over $15 an hour and the price of everything went with it.

Yea, Biden keeps giving off half-truths that wages have gone up......but then he neglects the fact that inflation on almost everything is super high and the wages do not cover it, so people are making less after they pay for food, gas, bills and everything. It's so ridiculous in many places...usually blue states.

Except eggs now for some reason, LOL! However, egg whites are still higher:(

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Yea, Biden keeps giving off half-truths that wages have gone up......but then he neglects the fact that inflation on almost everything is super high and the wages do not cover it, so people are making less after they pay for food, gas, bills and everything. It's so ridiculous in many places...usually blue states.

Except eggs now for some reason, LOL! However, egg whites are still higher:(
Yep. Egg whites are $4 a carton here. I went to buy some in a state north of you and the same carton was $7.99.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
Is $3.99 a steal for egg whites?…. How can we GameStop the govt? Can we short sale them?

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Yep. Egg whites are $4 a carton here. I went to buy some in a state north of you and the same carton was $7.99.
Yeah if I don't get at Costco they are $8 a quart.

Just made Sunday sauce and noticed packs of sausage now only have 5 sausage instead if 6 for a higher price. Spending more than a new Mercedes on food a month, it's insane.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011

Costco is way cheaper, but i don't head out that way much these days. However, everywhere around me is like $4.99 per 32oz carton.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic