Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Favorite Bodybuilder "Personality"

Puff88

Puff88

Dec 28, 2022
Who is your favorite bodybuilder, either past or present, in terms of the following:

- their overall contribution to the scene outside of just their competition/professional history
- the "culture" that person represents to you
- their general personality in the BB scene - what you feel they contribute to the sport as a "lifestyle" either during their peak career or today during retirement.

I think back to some of the hardcore gyms i started my training at, and that "feel" of the scene back then and Lee Priest is one of my favorites. I see old pictures of him today and it just takes me back to the underground culture that i felt BB was back when i first got into training.

I am also a big fan of Fouad Abiad and what he does for the culture of the sport today through his personality. He really tries to bring BB back to popularity and positions himself and his media to cater toward everyone, not just professional Open competitors.

Pure physique wise? Ive always been a combination of the Mike Mentzer and Frank Zane bodies. Entirely different, but both really fascinate me. Not much of a fan of any of todays open physiques, its gone way too heavy on the mass at all costs. Although i will say, i am happy that Hadi won this year. His story is impressive and for the modern day mass monsters, i do think he looks good.

Ogre717

Ogre717

TID Official Lab Rat
Jul 22, 2011
Or maybe Dorian.. damn this is actually a tough call.

Puff88

Puff88

Dec 28, 2022
I was also a big fan of Levrone. Ill throw him in the mix.

P

pincushn

VIP Member
Dec 13, 2022
I know this is a reach...but Jack LaLanne. IMO he really brought physique, motivation and true overall diet and health to the lime light.

Im also a fan of Frank Zane.

BigSwolePump

BigSwolePump

VIP Member
May 24, 2017
Was never a huge follower of bodybuilders but I am going to throw out Bill "KAZ" Kazmier. I followed that guy for years in WSM. One of the biggest influences on me to start lifting. Met that dude several times, years apart even and he was always friendly and still remembered past conversations.

Funny story, my first time was at a strip club in New Orleans while I was at a Bachelor party. I legit forgot about the tits and was star struck the rest of the night lol. He legit walked outside with me and a few of my friends and BSed with us for at least an hour.

Talked to him again at a gym (French Riviera Spa) in New Orleans once a few years later. After mentioning the strip club, he remembered most of what we talked about. Thought that was pretty cool. Told me that he was doing a promotion of his supplement line. He was legitimately the strongest guy I have ever personally seen lift big weight. He is 69 now so he was late 40's then.

Met him again at the Arnold Classic in Ohio at a booth where he was promoting his supplement line. After minute of talking to him, he brought up the strip club lol.

Great guy.

Puff88

Puff88

Dec 28, 2022
Rich Piana
Interesting pick. I will say, when i was about 25ish, i was contemplating trying PEDs for a while. I stumbled across his youtube videos and watched every one of them. I learned alot! I ultimately decided to wait but found his insight very useful. Physique wise, i think he looked pretty stupid toward the end.

As for his contribution to the culture (modern day culture that is), i feel like he was instrumental in starting the whole, bad boy, tatted, juiced, talk about drugs type of social media influencers. He was one of the first, and did it in a big way. He was smart as fuck as far as creating and image and a brand around himself that attracted attention. I respect him, for sure.

1bigun11

1bigun11

MuscleHead
Oct 23, 2010
I agree with everyone so far. But unless you were around before Arnold, you really can't begin to fathom just how much he changed everything about the sport. I remember back in the AAU days when you had to compete in the Olympic Lifts contest during the day to compete in the bodybuilding contest that night. Total circus atmosphere. Arnold took bodybuilding out of the circus and put it on the Tonight Show.

I say this even though I don't especially like the guy. But I'll give credit where credit is due.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic