Members
Latest Member
lk has no balls
What's New?

Favorite Bodybuilder "Personality"

Puff88

Puff88

Dec 28, 2022
I agree with everyone so far. But unless you were around before Arnold, you really can't begin to fathom just how much he changed everything about the sport. I remember back in the AAU days when you had to compete in the Olympic Lifts contest during the day to compete in the bodybuilding contest that night. Total circus atmosphere. Arnold took bodybuilding out of the circus and put it on the Tonight Show.

I say this even though I don't especially like the guy. But I'll give credit where credit is due.
Totally agree with the Arnold impact. He put the entire industry on the map. I was t around during his prime, so for me that is why i tend to be more emotionally connected to the 90s BB scene. Just takes me back to a place i wish i was still in.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
I got into training and BB around the last 2-3 years of Lee Haney. That guy was phenomenal and under-rated, IMO.

I didn't get into Ronnie much, until late into his career, and maybe even after he left.

For me, a lot of the Olympia winners were my favorite: Arnold, Haney, Dorian, Ronnie, and then Jay. I think Jay, outside of maybe Arnold, has done more for the 'sport' than anybody. Jay was a natural for the lifestyle and ambassador for the 'sport.' I do not think any winner afterward has had that impact like those guys did, at least not yet.

I am a 90's guy, so everybody from that era is my favorite, so I have Dorian up there at the top. That was such a fun and unique time in the sport though...the beginning of the mass monsters, extreme conditioning (ie diuretics and hard dieting), Mexico, the beginning of the message boards and forums, MM2K, Duchaine, actors who actually looked like they lifted, etc.

As far as training...major respect for the guys from the 70's and 80's...just hardcore training for hours and hours every day. It was mostly batshit stupid crap, but those guys and ladies busted their asses. You had the Gold's crew, etc.

I give a thumbs up to Bill Kazmier as well, he was such a gdamn freak. He had such a massive amount of muscle on his frame, and just shear power.

I have to give a shoutout for JOHN MEADOWS. He would have been such a force no matter the era of BB'ing! IMO, he is the greatest loss to our 'sport' and lifestyle than anybody else. I would add Dante/DC into the mix somewhere as well.

Fukk me, i'm screwing up the post and answer by mentioning too many people now, lol.

T

thehulk

VIP Member
Nov 16, 2022
Interesting pick. I will say, when i was about 25ish, i was contemplating trying PEDs for a while. I stumbled across his youtube videos and watched every one of them. I learned alot! I ultimately decided to wait but found his insight very useful. Physique wise, i think he looked pretty stupid toward the end.

As for his contribution to the culture (modern day culture that is), i feel like he was instrumental in starting the whole, bad boy, tatted, juiced, talk about drugs type of social media influencers. He was one of the first, and did it in a big way. He was smart as fuck as far as creating and image and a brand around himself that attracted attention. I respect him, for sure.
Bingo. I admire his marketing genius. He flipped the industry operating model upside down. Showed the world that creating an impactful brand independently could allow guys to side step the Weiders of the world and go cash in on what’s similar to NIL.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
I would also add both Muscle Media 2000 in the 90's and the internet. Both played a super huge role in 1) the use of AAS; and 2) At times, both had douchebags. lol.

MM2K revolutionized how people looked at AAS. If ButtPlug had not turn into a massive supplement pusher whore, I can't imagine how popular he could have been in the continued subculture. THAT being said, as much as he turned his back to the AAS world, he made an effin' killing in money with EAS. So, while it sucked he turned his back, I can't say I actually blame him much for doing it....though I think he could have skirted both sides. I follow him on social media, he is a good guy outside of all that. He got hit with covid super hard and was in a coma for like a month+. He brought out Dan Duchaine to the masses, as well as a slew of top writers who would be a staple for years to come....good and bad. Also, unfortunately for him, when he turned his back to the 'culture,' the internet started, and thus people were able to gossip and spread the word more freely. I think their role is definitely under-rated on their impact to our subculture.

The internet and discussion forums changed everything from day 1 onward....and now we can also say, and I can't stand them, social media outlets like IG.

Puff88

Puff88

Dec 28, 2022
I would also add both Muscle Media 2000 in the 90's and the internet. Both played a super huge role in 1) the use of AAS; and 2) At times, both had douchebags. lol.

MM2K revolutionized how people looked at AAS. If ButtPlug had not turn into a massive supplement pusher whore, I can't imagine how popular he could have been in the continued subculture. THAT being said, as much as he turned his back to the AAS world, he made an effin' killing in money with EAS. So, while it sucked he turned his back, I can't say I actually blame him much for doing it....though I think he could have skirted both sides. I follow him on social media, he is a good guy outside of all that. He got hit with covid super hard and was in a coma for like a month+. He brought out Dan Duchaine to the masses, as well as a slew of top writers who would be a staple for years to come....good and bad. Also, unfortunately for him, when he turned his back to the 'culture,' the internet started, and thus people were able to gossip and spread the word more freely. I think their role is definitely under-rated on their impact to our subculture.

The internet and discussion forums changed everything from day 1 onward....and now we can also say, and I can't stand them, social media outlets like IG.
Not much familiar with MM2k, must of been before my time. I know what it stands for, but dont believe i had much experience with it or BP growing up. So not sure his role in bringing AAS front and cemter, or lack there of as you mention.

rot-iron66

rot-iron66

Oct 30, 2022
I’d say Lee Haney. Seems genuine, well spoken & just an overall good person. No drama, no trash talking none of that action. Never seemed to raise his voice or get upset.
Same... Lee represents bodybuilding. (IMO) outstanding person, family man, Dad, 8-time Mr. O, etc.

Newer guys I like Shed, Fouad (well, not a new guy, but), really liked Luke (RIP).

I find Priest hilarious and he just doesnt give 2-fuxx. :p
And yes, John Meadows, best of the best...

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Not much familiar with MM2k, must of been before my time. I know what it stands for, but dont believe i had much experience with it or BP growing up. So not sure his role in bringing AAS front and cemter, or lack there of as you mention.
It was the first magazine to come out that discussed, positively, the use of responsible AAS use. Before the internet and everything else, we only had the magazines, and bro talk in the gym. From the early 90's to 1997, it was THE source of info. Bill Phillips (the owner, aka ButtPlug), in 1997, went from pro-AAS to all supplements as owner of EAS, and way less AAS, and even bashing them to some degree, to promote his supp sells. Thankfully, by that point, the internet had been running for a good 2 years+. It's where guys like Duchaine, Charles Poliquin, TC Luoma, and many others got their notoriety in the field.

The mag itself discussed AAS use, a section for counterfeits and how to identify them, how to use certain compounds, what was available in various countries (ie dbol and anadrol were not always an easy find), nutrition, training, etc. It was a bi-monthly mag that hit the stands.

Bill and Duchaine are usually credited with the first AAS books out there to read and learn from. They were outdated as the years and science came out, but they served as a guideline for use, and compound identity, for many years as a guideline. Eventually, Llewellyn, and the WAR book also came out...and I think both featured in the magazine as well in the ads.

Most people will never understand how important that magazine was as it's so open these days. It was like paper gold every 2 months:)

RIP DUCHAINE:(

Friggemall

Friggemall

VIP Member
Jun 16, 2020
None other than the Voice of Bodybuilding himself....Bob Cicherillo

What a phuking joke...LOL So yes, I'm 100% kidding, he's an ass.

Arnold as for what he did for the the sport, but now not so much.

George Peterson because he was a genuine class act RIP bro.

Jay Cutler has done a lot as well and I think Chris Bum is a big face for the industry now. Everywhere he goes the line to meet him just never ends. At the Olympia there were probably 100 people left when Hany had to cut him off and get him out of there around 9PM.

But John Meadows is my all time favorite for the person he was RIP mountaindog1

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic