Rope Crunches
95 x 12 x 2

Neutral Grip Machine Chest Press
x 8 up the stack til 230

High Incline Smith Press
225 x 10, rest pause for 20 seconds, press til failure
245 x 7 x RPE10, rest pause for 20 seconds press til failure

Incline Hammer Press w/ Red Band
25s x 8 x 2 (2 second peak contractions)
50s x 8 x 2 (2 second peak contractions)

Dip Machine
270 x 12 x 3

Superset:
Seated DB Side Laterals SS Single Arm Triceps Pushdowns x 3
x 15, x 10

Superset:
DB Front Raises Overhead SS Single Arm Triceps Reverse Grip Pushdowns x 3
x 12, x 8

Superset:
Face pulls SS Seated Calf Raises
180 x 8 x 2, 185 x 8 x 2

C25K - Day 3, Week 3

287.1 lbs

This is all taken from the Mountain Dog programming by John Meadows. 7 variations of exercises each body part:
Legs
Chest/Shoulders
Back
Arms

Calves and abs almost worked on daily with some training splits set up to address weaknesses if need be. We are in the prep stage = very little volume, very little intensification techniques.

After 2 weeks I will add a Pump Day for chest/shoulders so I can keep hammering that bench form and bring up my rear delts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
WTF!?!?!?!?!?!?! You switched to bbing? Shaking my head.....

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
I'm so confused.

WTF!?!?!?!?!?!?! You switched to bbing? Shaking my head.....

Alright nerds... Here's my reasoning:
Last August I had painful elbow issues. What followed the elbow was the scapula. This Winter I had lower back issues for the zillionth time due to mobility problems and now my AC joint is under attack, having consistently hurt for months.

In addition to the pain, I also have a few responsibilities, in no particular order of importance:
1. A new puppy I'm trying to properly train and exercise
2. Kids that have two-a-day swim practices Monday-Thursday, with meets Thursday and Saturday evenings, all the way into August
3. A wife that deserves attention
4. A shitty, inherited yard we are trying to improve
5. A Summer drawing regimen that I've neglected ever since the puppy showed up
6. Housewife duties (cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc.)
7. Hitting the gym
8. Summer socializing
9. Extra-curricular art programs for the kids
10. Weeklong beach vacation in late-August
11. 10 year anniversary this weekend
12. 17 DIY woodworking projects that will complete furnishing all the rooms in the house (art desk for playroom, bench for entryway, shelving, etc.)
13. Freelance illustration projects that keep popping up, bringing in unexpected income weekly

I'm still a powerlifter, I still want to compete and I still plan on stealing some state records. Truth is, I just need a break physically and mentally. I'll continue pushing myself in the gym, just not for two hours a session, 4 sessions a week. I'm overweight, out of shape and beat up. My oldest doesn't enjoy the gym child watch as much as when she was little. My lifts have been stagnant for months and my back muscle symmetry is so bad I lay crooked on the bench, changing my bar path badly - my left side is substantially smaller than my right.

I've realized that I have a lot of responsibilities to my family and my future career, my household and community and powerlifting was stressing me out. I'd come home hurt or disappointed, frustrated and short-tempered, and my friends and family noticed it. Fuxk all that noise. I used to have tons of fun with it.

I've tried completing Bully Yoga THREE FUCKING TIMES and have failed thus far. Whether it was due to injury or time-constraints, I wasn't able to stay consistent with the programming. One time it took three weeks to finish up 5 days of training because of finals.

My bench technique has been causing shoulder problems for who knows how long and my hips crunch and crack for the first time ever. My shoulder crunching is back as well, having been eliminated in lock-up due to lack of heavy pressing coupled with a good shoulder rehab routine. It's almost as if the heavy pressing and bad technique was out-working the rehab.

It's been a hell of a year so far. Dean's List, new puppy, new house... I'm not complaining one bit, I'm just explaining why powerlifting is taking a momentary backseat in my life. I need to stop hurting all the time so my anxiety lessens and I need to focus on what's most important: family, home and school. I don't wanna exhaust one of the most exhilarating activities I've ever come across, and I've been getting damn close. I realized I was feeling super-guilty because I wasn't consistently filming my lifts or completing a workout, all my training partners bailed on me, Wifey doesn't hit the gym anymore... I would rather, for now, jump in the gym for about an hour, get a good pump and gain some muscle while dialing in my diet and fixing mobility issues... All without adding PR chasing into the mix.
Plus, I highly doubt I'll lose all my strength in a couple of months by focusing on hypertrophy. I have a feeling the mind-muscle connection will only increase allowing for a better powerlifter to emerge in the future.

There you have it, folks.

Last edited:
PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I'm not reading all that shit GA.

I would just say a hypertrophy cycle from time to time is the smaht thing to do.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
The main thing I got was you've kinda lost the enjoyment from training for PLing. Sounds like your battered and beat the hell up. Every now and again... a break is needed to refresh the mind and body.

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
Monday - July 4 2016
Back

Yates Rows
x 12 x 3
x 10 x 4

Supinated Pulldowns
x 10 x 3

Straight-Arm Pulldowns
x 12 x 3

Cheating Seated Cable Rows
x 8 x 2
Stack x 1 x 8 (10 second rests)

Assisted Chins
x 8 x 3

Happy 4th, bitches.

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
I'm not reading all that shit GA.

I would just say a hypertrophy cycle from time to time is the smaht thing to do.
The main thing I got was you've kinda lost the enjoyment from training for PLing. Sounds like your battered and beat the hell up. Every now and again... a break is needed to refresh the mind and body.
^^^ *Cliff Notes Version

I'll still be back to chase PRs in time, but for now this other shit has reignited my spark. This morning's workout took 40 minutes.

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
Wednesday - July 6, 2016
Arms

New Bench Technique Practice:
(Tempo = 4 second descent, wide grip)
Bar x 12 x 2
135 x 10 x 5
225 x 3
315 x 1

Superset:
Cable Tricep Pulldowns SS EZ-Curl Bar
x 8 x 3

EZ-Curl Preachers SS Lying Triceps Extensions
x 8 x 3

Hammer Curls SS Decline Lying Triceps Extensions
x 8 x 2
x 12 x 1

C25K - Day 1, Week 4

288 lbs

_3M_

_3M_

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2015
Alright nerds... Here's my reasoning:
Last August I had painful elbow issues. What followed the elbow was the scapula. This Winter I had lower back issues for the zillionth time due to mobility problems and now my AC joint is under attack, having consistently hurt for months.

In addition to the pain, I also have a few responsibilities, in no particular order of importance:
1. A new puppy I'm trying to properly train and exercise
2. Kids that have two-a-day swim practices Monday-Thursday, with meets Thursday and Saturday evenings, all the way into August
3. A wife that deserves attention
4. A shitty, inherited yard we are trying to improve
5. A Summer drawing regimen that I've neglected ever since the puppy showed up
6. Housewife duties (cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc.)
7. Hitting the gym
8. Summer socializing
9. Extra-curricular art programs for the kids
10. Weeklong beach vacation in late-August
11. 10 year anniversary this weekend
12. 17 DIY woodworking projects that will complete furnishing all the rooms in the house (art desk for playroom, bench for entryway, shelving, etc.)
13. Freelance illustration projects that keep popping up, bringing in unexpected income weekly

I'm still a powerlifter, I still want to compete and I still plan on stealing some state records. Truth is, I just need a break physically and mentally. I'll continue pushing myself in the gym, just not for two hours a session, 4 sessions a week. I'm overweight, out of shape and beat up. My oldest doesn't enjoy the gym child watch as much as when she was little. My lifts have been stagnant for months and my back muscle symmetry is so bad I lay crooked on the bench, changing my bar path badly - my left side is substantially smaller than my right.

I've realized that I have a lot of responsibilities to my family and my future career, my household and community and powerlifting was stressing me out. I'd come home hurt or disappointed, frustrated and short-tempered, and my friends and family noticed it. Fuxk all that noise. I used to have tons of fun with it.

I've tried completing Bully Yoga THREE FUCKING TIMES and have failed thus far. Whether it was due to injury or time-constraints, I wasn't able to stay consistent with the programming. One time it took three weeks to finish up 5 days of training because of finals.

My bench technique has been causing shoulder problems for who knows how long and my hips crunch and crack for the first time ever. My shoulder crunching is back as well, having been eliminated in lock-up due to lack of heavy pressing coupled with a good shoulder rehab routine. It's almost as if the heavy pressing and bad technique was out-working the rehab.

It's been a hell of a year so far. Dean's List, new puppy, new house... I'm not complaining one bit, I'm just explaining why powerlifting is taking a momentary backseat in my life. I need to stop hurting all the time so my anxiety lessens and I need to focus on what's most important: family, home and school. I don't wanna exhaust one of the most exhilarating activities I've ever come across, and I've been getting damn close. I realized I was feeling super-guilty because I wasn't consistently filming my lifts or completing a workout, all my training partners bailed on me, Wifey doesn't hit the gym anymore... I would rather, for now, jump in the gym for about an hour, get a good pump and gain some muscle while dialing in my diet and fixing mobility issues... All without adding PR chasing into the mix.
Plus, I highly doubt I'll lose all my strength in a couple of months by focusing on hypertrophy. I have a feeling the mind-muscle connection will only increase allowing for a better powerlifter to emerge in the future.

There you have it, folks.

Completely understandable bro. Sometimes you just need to give yourself some time to breathe and switch things up a bit. I hope that during this brief timeout from PLing you are able to recover from some of your injuries that way when you come back you'll be stronger than ever and those state records will be yours.

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
Completely understandable bro. Sometimes you just need to give yourself some time to breathe and switch things up a bit. I hope that during this brief timeout from PLing you are able to recover from some of your injuries that way when you come back you'll be stronger than ever and those state records will be yours.

That's the muthafuckin goal!!! It was some weird shit to see myself jogging yesterday. Even weirder to tell someone I hadn't seen in awhile I was doing arms that day! It's all good though - I'm dialing in some things I had neglected before and it feels good. I haven't had any weird lower body tweaks or shooting pains in weeks and my shoulder is slowly improving. I even ran for five minutes straight, twice, last night and almost didn't make it. It was empowering to push through - just another form of challenge I presume.

Thanks for the encouraging words.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic