Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Do you have compassion for the obese?

2ez

VIP Member
Feb 25, 2012
Obesity is a huge health problem in our country. I don't think anyone can argue against that. Although a percentage of obese people have a medical condition that got them there, the vast majority are obese through poor diet and lack of exercise. I don't think anyone can argue against that. The question is, who's responsibility is it to fix the problem?

not all can be "changed".....not going to use the word "fix" because this implies something is wrong with a person's genetic makeup. My Father is part Native American and many in the family have higher body fat.

IMO a so called obese person can be healthy as long as they don't add any negative variables to the equation.....ie smoking, heavy drinking, poor diet, inactive lifestyle....etc

RedNeck

RedNeck

MuscleHead
Dec 30, 2010
Yes, I believe obesity is a sickness in most cases.

Every situation is different. My friend, who's a combat Iraq Marine vet, was wounded from mortar shrapnel. It almost blew off his foot. I was the one who carried him to the fighting hole for the Corpsmen to give him aid. He now is overweight because the injury has left him in residual pain and he will walk with a cane the rest of his life. Is he lazy and worthless? **** no! He is a Marine, served his country in Iraq, combat action, and earned a purple heart. Done more for his country than most of you.

definitely not the same case at all as some lazy as **** fat ass that could do something about how fat they are but don't. Respect to your friend and yourself for serving

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013

Interesting stuff. I think we knew genetics played a roll in obesity. That is some solid evidence. I have to believe that genetics plays a roll in many more things than we thought. Addiction, for instance, i think we are finding has genetic links. Not sure if that makes a valid excuse to ruin your life with drugs, though. You know what I mean? I think the person with the worst genetic predisposition for addiction can still lead a drug free life. Likewise I believe the same for the obese person. If you only eat 1200 cals a day of clean food, I don't think it would matter how bad your insulin resistance is.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic