Latest Member
Joannafit
What's New?

Do you do Pullovers?

Sandpig

Sandpig

MuscleHead
Jul 13, 2012
I do them cross bench for a chest stretch and lengthwise on the bench for lats.
In fact I prefer a decline bench for lats. Obviously you need a bench where the head is quite a bit off the floor.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Ooh an oldie...

I think pullovers are a waste of time for myself. There are so many great ways to hit lats.

Only reason I can see myself or another powerlifter doing these is to loosen the ribcage and thoracic spine for arching on the bench press. Most guys arch the lumbar spine beyond a safe range of motion. The whole put a foam roller under your back is a terrible thing to do to yourself.

A dumbbell pullover with the mid upper back on the bench would be a great stretch. Just wouldn't do it for hypertrophy is all.

Joliver

Joliver

MuscleHead
Jan 19, 2014
Ooh an oldie...

I think pullovers are a waste of time for myself. There are so many great ways to hit lats.

Only reason I can see myself or another powerlifter doing these is to loosen the ribcage and thoracic spine for arching on the bench press. Most guys arch the lumbar spine beyond a safe range of motion. The whole put a foam roller under your back is a terrible thing to do to yourself.

A dumbbell pullover with the mid upper back on the bench would be a great stretch. Just wouldn't do it for hypertrophy is all.

Hey...I used it to teach a complete idiot how to take a hand off with his lats and not break his pressing base. It worked pretty well there. That said, I don't do it. I may if I get bored.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Hey...I used it to teach a complete idiot how to take a hand off with his lats and not break his pressing base. It worked pretty well there. That said, I don't do it. I may if I get bored.
Hey so you agree it's not for hypertrophy. I used straight arm push downs to teach myself :)

UncleAl

UncleAl

MuscleHead
Jun 20, 2012
Straight and bent arm pullover were very popular as "rib cage expanders" and a finisher on cheat/back day when I got started in the 1960s...and later on, some felt that the Nautilus pullover machine was Arthur Jones' (the founder of HIT training) most useful contribution. I have found all pullovers effective for hypertrophy and still do them when I cycle in 20-rep squats. However, they are notorious shoulder killers. So, be very careful about using too much weight or going to failure, because that big stretch can do you in.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
Not a fan. Like pob said, so many ways to hit the lats, this would be my last choice. If youre using it to stretch, then its a stretching movement and not a back exercise. Do some extra pull ups, your back will thank you.

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
Haven't done them in many years. I stopped doing them when they started to bother my shoulders, and when I realized that they probably weren't doing anything to expand my ribcage. ;)

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Have I done them.... Yes

Do I do them now or will I.... No.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic