Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
jacobss

DEADLIFTS - How much of a difference does the bar make?

TenaciousA

TenaciousA

TID Lady Member
Mar 31, 2013
So when you say whip bars----are you referring to Oly bars?

Those bitches spin for days; the 20kg bars no thinner than regular standard bars. The 15kg lady bars are thinner. Tons of movement.

This thread is great; I didn't even know or think to use my oly bar for the DL. On it.
Perhaps Texas DL bar when I hit the lottery or Ian starts hooking again.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
So when you say whip bars----are you referring to Oly bars?

Those bitches spin for days; the 20kg bars no thinner than regular standard bars. The 15kg lady bars are thinner. Tons of movement.

This thread is great; I didn't even know or think to use my oly bar for the DL. On it.
Perhaps Texas DL bar when I hit the lottery or Ian starts hooking again.

We're not talking about the bearing in the collars which cause Oly bars to spin for much longer periods than most bars. We're referring to the bar bending which happens when you pull with a DL bar. A DL bar is thinner and longer. The "whip" is the bend that takes place as you pull the slack out of the bar...... making it bend before it breaks the surface. Like POB also mentioned the bar can throw some people off at the top b/c the bar is whippy.

Not to get side tracked but my favorite Oly bar to train with is Eleiko. I liked them better than Werksan and all other Oly bars I used to train with.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Those eleiko bars are the nuts. We have one at my gym. One guy dropped a 700 pound squat in a rack and bent it lol. 1500 hundred bucks down the shitter. He is a Harvard economics professor though and replaced the bar without delay. They only let certain people use it. I am one that can but I don't want the responsibility to be honest.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Those eleiko bars are the nuts. We have one at my gym. One guy dropped a 700 pound squat in a rack and bent it lol. 1500 hundred bucks down the shitter. He is a Harvard economics professor though and replaced the bar without delay. They only let certain people use it. I am one that can but I don't want the responsibility to be honest.

You are completely correct.... they can be bent fairly easily but there is no better bar for the classical lifts on the planet imho and the Oly bar are very springy. If you look at very good Oly lifters they time that "pop" so they can use it to help them complete the lift.

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
1500.00 for a bars insane! I do want a Deadlift bar now tho lol...
would a bent eleiko bar make a good Deadlift bar? Serious tho, one mans treasure is another mans garbage...

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
would a bent eleiko bar make a good Deadlift bar? Serious tho, one mans treasure is another mans garbage...

No the eleiko is the opposite of what you want. Check out Texas Power systems. Their dl bar is like 300 bucks. Check rogue fitness and elitefts too

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011

G, go to meets and try to find a used DL bar for cheap.

R

Rai080

MuscleHead
Sep 11, 2013
Bar whip bakes a huge difference. I love squaring with a thin Bar. I feel that whip at the bottom really helps get back up.

Same with dl. The extra give allows to pull for a higher position like BI said.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Bar whip bakes a huge difference. I love squaring with a thin Bar. I feel that whip at the bottom really helps get back up.

Same with dl. The extra give allows to pull for a higher position like BI said.

Just make sure you time the whip when squatting or it can jackhammer you down and throw you out of position, potentially putting yourself at risk.

TenaciousA

TenaciousA

TID Lady Member
Mar 31, 2013
Spoke to Steve about this very topic today...he felt it necessary to inform me that it "doesn't make a difference until you get into the 500-600 range"

Thoughts?

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
It made a huge difference for me. But mine wasn't an advantage. I had roughly 400 on the bar.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Spoke to Steve about this very topic today...he felt it necessary to inform me that it "doesn't make a difference until you get into the 500-600 range"

Thoughts?

I think it does make a difference even when there is less on the bar b/c if you're used to walking up and gripping and ripping you'll find it difficult to pull with a DL bar. You can't just rip it off the ground b/c you'll lose of your "umph" for lack of a better word... I guess I could say energy. That's why you pull the slack, tension the bar, and then pull.

Most don't realize there is a helluva lot of technique when it comes to PLing. It's not just pick it up, squat it up, press it up.

Now, I know Steve P. knows a shit load when it comes to lifting heavy but sometimes we forget since we've been doing it so long.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 3 members watching this topic

, ,