Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism

DEADLIFTS - How much of a difference does the bar make?

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
I have a 7' 30 mm York Black Oxide powerlifting bar, like this one:

http://www.xtcfitness.ca/strength/s...ar-30mm-1500-test-bar-32121-york-barbell.html

I don't train at home very often, but I do have a rudimentary set-up in my garage.

Squats and bench I see no difference in strength between training at home or the gym, but I never get near as much off the floor on deadlifts as I do at the gym.

Is it my bar or what?

If so, what kind of bar should I used for deads?

Thanks in advance...

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
You want my honest answer..... the bar makes a substantial difference like 30lbs lifted difference.

You want a whippy bar when it comes to deadlifts. You can pull the slack out of the bar... yes, I said pull the slack out of the bar and start at a slightly higher position which allows you pull more weight. Also a DL bar is thinner which makes it easier for you to grip and we all know grip is important when finishing the lift.

Sooooo..... in a nutshell you want an extremely stiff bar when you squat for better transfer of energy and a whippy one when you pull so you start a bit higher when the bar breaks the surface.

I'd wager the bars at you gym are kinda crappy so they have that whip which puts you in a better start position when it breaks the surface.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
I had no clue but learned something from BI's post above.
Good thread

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I haven't used a TDB but I do use a TPB to bench with I have a TSB to squat with (when I'm not training alone) and it's my favorite squat bar.

To be honest... I'd check out a local meet and I bet you can get a beater DL bar for cheap instead of buying a new one.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
So In reverse .....I train on a thicker stuff black bar. No idea what it is .
I went to a pl gym and the " whip " screwed me up.
Now I know if I took the time to familiarize myself with it I would be able to pull more. I'm agreeing with BI.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
So In reverse .....I train on a thicker stuff black bar. No idea what it is .
I went to a pl gym and the " whip " screwed me up.
Now I know if I took the time to familiarize myself with it I would be able to pull more. I'm agreeing with BI.

It screwed you up b/c you haven't learned to pull the slack out of a bar b/c in your sport that's not something you have to deal with. I do believe that those of us who PL should train with the same equipment meaning you shouldn't pull with a stiff bar b/c when you it comes time to pull with a DL bar it'll throw you off like it did to RR.

N.O.V.

N.O.V.

MuscleHead
Jan 24, 2014
I get pissed every time I walk into my gym bc I have to change the bar out to deadlift. For whatever reason, people constantly swap the pull bar out with the squat bar. So annoying.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
It screwed you up b/c you haven't learned to pull the slack out of a bar b/c in your sport that's not something you have to deal with. I do believe that those of us who PL should train with the same equipment meaning you shouldn't pull with a stiff bar b/c when you it comes time to pull with a DL bar it'll throw you off like it did to RR.

TO a degree, yes, I agree with you....however, POB and I have trained with stiffer bars for a couple weeks then we go back to the DL bar and we've made some great progress....not a permanent change but with speed lifts at 60-70%, IMO it's ok but not for 80% or more....with that %, stick to the thin grip, whippy bars.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011

I think pulling with a stiffer bar will allow for improvement when you switch back to a dl bar. It's harder to get in position and the weights break all at once.

When we really want to **** with ourselves pulling we use this eleiko bar that has zero flex on it at all.

Getting closer to a meet though we do switch back to a dl bar for practice.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
It only allows for improvement b/c you know how to pull with a DL bar. For those who have never pulled with one... they'll find it different and may even hurt them numbers wise in the beginning.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
It only allows for improvement b/c you know how to pull with a DL bar. For those who have never pulled with one... they'll find it different and may even hurt them numbers wise in the beginning.

Yup, makes total sense.

The stiffer bars are almost like a deficit pull....but as I stated earlier, it's not for the heavy sessions IMO.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic