Members
Latest Member
jacobss

deadlift question.

blubbard

blubbard

TID Lady Member
May 31, 2012
Why do you ask blubbard? Oldschool is a strong mofo and picks up some heavy shit, not that that should have anything to do with the question.

OS, I understand that guy's reasoning, but fucking up the gym equipment isn't cool and you may be missing some of the benefit of the negative portion of the lift. Now if you have bumper weights and platforms at your gym, have at it, though I still think the negative can be important.

I ask because if he were small and/or relatively weak (by powerlifting / strongman standards) I would tell him to stop asking dumb fucking questions and never drop the bar. The negative will help you grow. On the other hand if you have a competition coming up and your at a high level, then perhaps there is some benefit to dropping the weight. I have done this in the past as the comp approaches, especially if I feel beat up or have some crazy back pumps.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Oldschool, you don't want to get in the habit of just dropping it b/c in a meet you have to pull and than wait for the down signal (and you don't drop it when you get the signal). I've seen guys get red lighted for dropping their shit like that. You should train like how you compete at a meet. Get set, pull the bar w/out hitching, hold it at the top, and than lower it. Don't slowly lower but don't let go.

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
Oldschool, you don't want to get in the habit of just dropping it b/c in a meet you have to pull and than wait for the down signal (and you don't drop it when you get the signal). I've seen guys get red lighted for dropping their shit like that. You should train like how you compete at a meet. Get set, pull the bar w/out hitching, hold it at the top, and than lower it. Don't slowly lower but don't let go.

Exactly correct!

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
Great post OldSchool.

Get set, pull the bar w/out hitching, hold it at the top, and than lower it. Don't slowly lower but don't let go.

What's "pull the bar w/out hitching" mean?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Great post OldSchool.

What's "pull the bar w/out hitching" mean?

When you "hitch" a bar your knees drop and so the upper leg helps hold the load making it easier to lift. That is not allowed in PLing.

Here's an exaggerated hitch. This is great way to get 3 red lights at a meet:

This is the PROPER way to pull a bar:

Last edited by a moderator:
Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
When you "hitch" a bar your knees drop and so the upper leg helps hold the load making it easier to lift. That is not allowed in PLing.

Here's an exaggerated hitch. This is great way to get 3 red lights at a meet:

This is the PROPER way to pull a bar:

Great examples my man.
Much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Does this guy "pretend" good enough to control the weight?

Deadlift - YouTube

YEs he does.... but he should start with his feet closer to the bar. The starting position is forcing him to bend over more because the weight is out in front of him.... and he's not locking out at the top and will get red lights for that.

I disagree with SFGiants though. I like pulling in gym shorts because they allow the bar to slide up my thigh easily..... save the baby powder for pulling geared or in competition ( wearing a singlet)

I will drop deadlifts in the gym from the knee down in training just to save my lower back, especially when I am doing lots of sets above 85% of my top end. BUT, and it's a big BUT.... I am pulling over 700 without even a belt.... pulling mid-upper 7's fully geared..... and here's the kicker.... my team has our own gym with good deadlift bars and good platforms to deadlift on. If I have to lift at a commercial gym I'll play nice and be gentle. At my gym if I fuck something up I replace it, no harm and no foul.

UncleAl

UncleAl

MuscleHead
Jun 20, 2012
Until the last few weeks of a training cycle, I drop the weight if the gym that allows it. This takes a lot of stress off the lower back and lets me get in a few more high intensity reps. HOWEVER, during the last max effort sessions before a meet, I'll ride the bar down to practice doing the lift by the book.

atltrainer

atltrainer

Mar 15, 2012
Dropping the bar saves you from being sore. The eccentric portion of the lift is what makes you sore. I don't believe there is any need to return it to the floor. If you can pick it up and do your accessory work lowering it competition won't be a problem.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic