Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Cross Fit and Regular Gym Question

whowhatwhenwhere

whowhatwhenwhere

Scammer
Dec 15, 2010
ive gone to a few classes and have some friends who are junkies...the plates are all bumper plates....at most I would say they are 25lb plates your friend is using

StrongLyfe

StrongLyfe

Mr. Worxx
Aug 25, 2012
Crossfit? Been there done that and I am not too impressed with it either. Why do people whether male or female do this sort of thing anyway?

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
Well now I'm armed with better information for the next time my crossfit friend decides to laugh at my numbers. I didn't realize they were all about high reps. I am going for hypertrophy. She's never really told me what her goals are...I'm not sure she has any beyond what those stooges must be telling her over there. Thanks guys, I knew I'd get the good info here.

Its retarded to try to compare apples and oranges. Bodybuilders & crossfitters are not the same people, don't have the same goals and don't measure "progress" the same way. I wouldnt' even bother getting into a discussion about it. COmpletely different goals. Just because it happens in the gym w/ similar eqpt doesn't mean its the same. PLers or Oly lifters will say the same thing. Its just completely different goals.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
Its retarded to try to compare apples and oranges. Bodybuilders & crossfitters are not the same people, don't have the same goals and don't measure "progress" the same way. I wouldnt' even bother getting into a discussion about it. COmpletely different goals. Just because it happens in the gym w/ similar eqpt doesn't mean its the same. PLers or Oly lifters will say the same thing. Its just completely different goals.

Valid point.....while I can't take the pretentious, snobby attitude that they portray..... it's like comparing football players and baseball players (speaking paid, professional athletes for this discussion to simplify).....or even better, a 330lb lineman versus a 165lb 2nd baseman....Their traning regimens and focal points will be totally different for their goals.

Crossfit is still gay.

W

WorkingHard

Jan 2, 2013
They do a lot of pushups during the workouts and usually some strenth traing prior to their workouts. The strenght training does include bench press. However, ther is no way n hell she is doing enogh bench press at a crossfit gym to be benching 315.

J

Joy

TID Lady Member
Nov 5, 2011
I actually got this lady that I originally posted about over to my gym just last weekend. While she did bench 105 for 3 reps she did NOT come anywhere close to the 300 and whatever she had told me she was doing. I think working in a real gym with real plates was an eye opener for her- she joined 2 days later.

Someone mentioned crossfitters are know-it-all's. I have found this to be true with her. They seem to put weird shit into the heads of those who use the crossfit facilities. While I have spent hours and hours reading, researching, scouring YouTube, talking with others, reading this board, and good old trial and error her only knowledge comes from what they have told her. Its annoying- especially while trying to correct me she's wrong. I sent her a vid of Katka Kyptova doing 1 arm rows with DB's and she wrote me saying Katka was actually using a BB....sigh. You can lead em to water...

F

Fury

MuscleHead
Jun 6, 2012
Joy my wife crossfit trains morning and evening.competes loves it but the injuries come let me tell you.the guy that runs the crossfit box has got some top athletes to come and teach them the correct techniques theres a former national weight lifter who comes in every week and goes through there technique.at the end of the day some people are set in there ways like your friend.look I'm not a fan of crossfit but you will get conditioned and i do give credit what these guys and girls put there bodies through but it's there culture that shits me and that there a clean wholesome sport lol.no drugs in crossfit lol.

sjb1962

sjb1962

Aug 21, 2012
a clean wholesome sport

There are drugs in sports? Huh, I had no idea...

I agree with what most have said here, that crossfit won't be around for the long haul

TenaciousA

TenaciousA

TID Lady Member
Mar 31, 2013
I realize this is an OLD thread but hey...I am on a 6h drive. ;)

I turned to CrossFit after getting out of and eight your relationship as a way to change up my current training routine; Several of my elite level athlete friends were doing CrossFit so I figured what the hell?

I trained, or something like that, at the gym here in Pittsburgh that previously held the title of the seventh-ranked gym in the country two years in a row. The instructors were absolutely fantastic and did hold a mandatory informational/instructional classes that you had to attend prior to moving on. There were no Olympic left into these introductory classes as Olympic lifting is truly something in my opinion that takes a lifetime to learn.

The fact that cross fit even attempt to incorporate only lifting., Let alone for wraps or four times, makes me seriously want to blow up CrossFit headquarters. To all of your previous points I have seen so many of my friends blowout shoulders, wrists, traps, rhomboids, from absolutely no instruction from ****ing idiot CrossFit trainers on how to improperly Olympic lifts.

That being said, I have also trained at many CrossFit boxes throughout the country with my work travel and have seen the level very greatly from absolutely fantastic to downright horrifying. I guess it's just like any other type of trainer, CrossFit is a business model and will certify anyone that passes the test and pays for the affiliation.

The 10 principles, in theory, are great; when applied to the masses of idiots with money who are looking for a quick fix and are willing to rest when their bodies are telling them to, or when the trainers are telling them to keep pushing because they're behind so-and-so in a wide it's completely ridiculous.

Like you guys, I have come to absolutely abhor everyone the CrossFit because they are completely snobbish and look down on everyone else's training methods. I really don't know where this attitude came from and don't believe that the founders of CrossFit ever intended this to happen. I do believe it does come from the fact that cross fitters, and general, do tend to be of greater socioeconomic status due to the sheer cost that it does take to participate in these classes.

Being a snob still doesn't ready from getting injured, nor from putting oppressive numbers, or from being a true athlete, so take that ****ers.

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
Clean in 3's, Snatch in 2's. But crossfit snatched for time. I cringe at the thought of a 25 rep snatch set, and my elbows hurt just watching them do power cleans w/o racking the bar properly. Elbows and shoulders are overrated anyways lol.

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
There are drugs in sports? Huh, I had no idea...

I agree with what most have said here, that crossfit won't be around for the long haul

Granted, we've passed thru many fads over the years, but because this crosses so many disciplines, I think it will continue to be around for a long time. Not to mention the amount of money in and around the sport. You don't see anything like the Crossfit Games in the bodybuilding world. It is also more readily accessible - consider this: the girl who is currently the "world's fittest woman", Annie Thorsdottir, started Crossfit 2 year ago. I started lifting 33 years ago and I'm considered a decent regional level bodybuilder.

However I do think the volume of Crossfit injuries is going to continue to escalate and eventually become more widely reported, particularly due to less than qualified Crossfit instructors driving unprepared "students", and just general wear & tear from it. I'm dealing w/ the wear & tear of those 33 years of training - but then I'm also 48 years old, when most people's shit starts to fall apart anyway. Ironically, the stuff I'm correcting now is turning out to be just made more apparent by my lifting aggravating the natural push/pull imbalances of my body as I've hit that point in my life where my body just doesn't heal as quickly. Not the lifting itself. And TRUST ME, I've done some heavy ass muther effing lifting all the way up to my last show in 2010. If Crossfit people can say the same thing after 33 years of Crossfit, I will be surprised.

That said, I think one of the best things that Crossfit brings to a routine is use of full body activities, and aside from any sloppy form, generally functionally correct movements. This is something that tends to be missing from a traditional "bodybuilding" program. The things I suffer from these days are tendonitis and tightness in the little joints - meaning my wrists, elbows, ankles. All of that just propagates upstream to the peripheral body parts, while continuing to be aggravated by the fundamental push/pull imbalances. The last thing I ever thought I'd be hindered by would be foot and ankle issues.

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic