Latest Member
Ethan7400
What's New?

Cross Fit and Regular Gym Question

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
I have a friend who is a big Cross Fit devotee. We went out the other night and I had to listen to her go on and on about her non existent biceps and then she laughs at me when we start talking actual bench, dl’s, and squat numbers. Granted the bench press is one of my weakest lifts, but I keep at it.
I suggest you probably shouldn't bother going out with this girl anymore. I wouldn't give too much credit to someone that doesn't even know how much the plates that she lifts weighs.

A raw 300 bench at 120 sounds about as legit as my pilots license that I bought last year for a couple of hundy.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Crossfit? Been there done that and I am not too impressed with it either. Why do people whether male or female do this sort of thing anyway?
Um, well you should be able to answer that question...

F

Fury

MuscleHead
Jun 6, 2012
Crossfit is here to stay.my wife is involved in it and the numbers in shows are growing incredible.the box like that call it they have 100 members in less than a year and all ages.sassy the injuries well my wife is nursing two bulging disks l4 and l5.i have told my wife enjoy it because at the level your training your body won't hold up.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Anyone who thinks crossfit is going away is only fooling themselves. They have the sponsors, the air time, and the following. Those three things solidify the sport and will keep it around.

I'm not a fan of crossfit but it has done a lot for other sports like Olympic weightlifting. 5 years ago NO ON and I repeat NO ONE had a clue what a snatch or a clean & jerk was if they didn't Oly lift at a training facility. The most common question I was always asked at that time was..... how much you bench? Hey daumbass the bench isn't one of the two lifts performed as a weightlifter. We do it as an auxiallary lift but it's not the focus. Nowadays everyone knows what a snatch and a c&j is. That's a good thing b/c there will be people who start out in crossfit and they'll fall in love with the classical Oly lifts and transition to Olympic weightlifting which this country desperately needs. Believe it or not but crossfit has helped powerlifting to.... I know, I know you're probably saying bullshit but look at the resergance of raw lifting. People are excited to drop the equipment and pick a bar again with just a belt to see what they're capable of. So crossfit has done some harm to those who have poor coaches and poorly laid out training regimens but it has also done a lot of good.

Ms.Wetback

Ms.Wetback

VIP Lady Member
Sep 27, 2010
I use to do all strength training and have transitioned for now to cross fit. I love it and it is a welcome change. Having lifted for so many years I am not particularly worried about losing any muscle. I will sya this though, I challenge any of the "strength training only" people out there to try a TRUE cross fit work out, probably will cripple you lol

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
I use to do all strength training and have transitioned for now to cross fit. I love it and it is a welcome change. Having lifted for so many years I am not particularly worried about losing any muscle. I will sya this though, I challenge any of the "strength training only" people out there to try a TRUE cross fit work out, probably will cripple you lol

I think it has its place in terms of variety and what your goals are. I also think the discussions comparing the two are silly because they are completely different conditioning regimens and goals. As BI mentioned, I think its great in that it has exposed many individual sport activities to a broader audience, but the arrogance that a little bit of knowledge & experience qualifies you to claim expertise and yo shit don't stink is just effing silly. Ref: the injuries mentioned above.

But aside from the cloud of "smug" (Southpark reference for those who know...) about it, crossfit definitely has its place. Its really funny how a few years back you used to see obscure articles and advertisements about athletes who compete in Obstacle Courses, like it was the only sport that was tangential to bodybuilding such that it had a place in mag like Muscle & Fitness or Flex. I remember thinking, eff no, no way I could survive a competitive obstacle course. Now suddenly that sort of stuff has exposure at a broader level, it is much more accessible, and in fact, very doable by pretty much anyone who gets into it, at any. Crossfit is wide open to anyone who can pay the $100+ / month gym rates and has the testicular fortitude to get thru a month of the WODs. But again, the cultishness of it makes people prematurely confident in their actual skills and capabilities.

I still think in any sport, the most accomplished are those who are typically the most humble about it.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
I think it has its place in terms of variety and what your goals are. I also think the discussions comparing the two are silly because they are completely different conditioning regimens and goals. As BI mentioned, I think its great in that it has exposed many individual sport activities to a broader audience, but the arrogance that a little bit of knowledge & experience qualifies you to claim expertise and yo shit don't stink is just effing silly. Ref: the injuries mentioned above.

But aside from the cloud of "smug" (Southpark reference for those who know...) about it, crossfit definitely has its place. Its really funny how a few years back you used to see obscure articles and advertisements about athletes who compete in Obstacle Courses, like it was the only sport that was tangential to bodybuilding such that it had a place in mag like Muscle & Fitness or Flex. I remember thinking, eff no, no way I could survive a competitive obstacle course. Now suddenly that sort of stuff has exposure at a broader level, it is much more accessible, and in fact, very doable by pretty much anyone who gets into it, at any. Crossfit is wide open to anyone who can pay the $100+ / month gym rates and has the testicular fortitude to get thru a month of the WODs. But again, the cultishness of it makes people prematurely confident in their actual skills and capabilities.

I still think in any sport, the most accomplished are those who are typically the most humble about it.

Fantastic post.

I couldn't agree more....you touched on the main points about crossfit that apply a stigma to those whom possess more knowledge about the world of healthy living:
-Form is horrible, thus creating more injuries that will inevitably have a spotlight on the training
-trainer's certs are handed out like mints at a restaurant
-snobby
-cultish

But also you're right about the obstacle courses...it's opening up the training for the tough mudder type races as well. And with these obstacle courses being offered almost in any region every weekend, crossfit won't go anywhere, they'll just inevitably tighten up the requirements and qualifications for the trainers to alleviate the injuries once the numbers start pouring in more frequently.

Dex

Dex

VIP Member
Mar 30, 2011
I hate crossfit and all the crossfit dweebs with their bandana's, knee high socks, giant waists, and smug attitudes. They started incorporating crossfit into a few bbing shows and talking to those people is like talking to a turd.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
I like some of the Crossfit girls though :ranger:

Crossfit-ladies.jpeg

F

Fury

MuscleHead
Jun 6, 2012
Mini I like all women with muscle and shape but the last cross fit comp my wife did there weren't many women with great shape or muscle very few actually.back in the 90s my old gym most of the females looked really good and in shape.i think what some people are forgetting is they think that doing cross fit is going to give them a physic they always dreamed.yea dream on.a lot of these cross fit girls who I have met through my wife have all done lifting running and gym work before they began cross fit.

Ms.Wetback

Ms.Wetback

VIP Lady Member
Sep 27, 2010

Well stated sassy.

Humility.......hmmmto bad that's not the norm

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
Case in point:
If you replaced the words "contest prep" with "life", this would still apply.

http://www.360cut.com/store/pg/29-Five-Contest-Prep-Tips-to-Ensure-Success.aspx#.UcRpn_m1FB1

5 Contest Prep Tips to Ensure Success

By Shelby Starnes

This isn’t just a bunch of random shit I put together to make a cute article. These are real deal tips that help me get through contest prep. Pay attention.
Keep the focus on your actions, and the results will come.

All too often we get caught up in what we’re going to get, or what the end result will be, and in doing so we lose sight of what we must do in order to get there. We think “I want this” or “I want that” rather than “I need to do this,” and “I need to do that.” This disconnect not only prevents us from reaching our goals it can also prevent us from enjoying the journey.
By putting our focus on our daily actions instead we are guaranteed success. It’s just a matter of stacking up enough “good days” to get to where we want to go.
Remember: To climb a mountain you must keep your eyes on the path, and not on the peak ahead.

Make your practice perfect.
“Practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.” – Vince Lombardi Jr.
I constantly see novices spending tons of time practicing posing, but doing so incorrectly. What a waste of time and reinforcement of bad habits! Set yourself up for success by making sure that you’re not just practicing, but practicing perfectly. Don’t be afraid to ask for help. This applies to all aspects of bodybuilding: training, dieting, posing, etc.

Don’t reinvent the wheel.

Yes, there is a ton of free information on the Internet (and elsewhere) to help you reach your physique goals. Yes, you can probably get into decent shape doing it yourself. But you can also drive yourself nuts wondering if you’re making the right decisions and waste a lot of time figuring out the best methods to achieve your goals.
Having an experienced coach in your corner will ensure you come in at your very best, and leave the guesswork out of the equation. This allows you to focus on the tasks at hand rather than wasting valuable time and energy on a bunch of “what ifs.”

There are many great coaches to choose from. Find one that you respect, trust and fit well with. (this is excellent advice as a subset of this article)

Practice gratitude.
It’s all too easy to focus on the negatives during contest prep and ignore or forget the positives. This obviously creates a pretty dismal experience! I suggest setting aside some time each day (perhaps during cardio) to think of all the things you’re thankful for and that are going right for you now, instead those going wrong, or that you worry about.
For me this gratitude includes being healthy and able to train and prep, being supported by my family and peers, having the means to diet (many on this planet are starving right now), etc.
Doing this regularly puts my mind in a frame of abundance and positivity rather than one of deprivation and negativity.
Remember it’s a privilege to compete. We are very fortunate to have something that motivates us so greatly.

Create a “Lessons Learned” list.
Assuming you’re going to do this again, you’re going to want to do it better the next time (and the next time, and the next time). Make sure you’re noting what went right with your prep, and what went wrong. There are many minor details that add up to make an experience enjoyable or miserable. Be cognizant of these details and figure out what works best for you, so you can replicate it next time.

Perhaps you’ve found that you train best earlier in the day, or prefer eating a certain protein or carb source prior to training, or that you need to start practicing your posing at 12 weeks out instead of 6 weeks out. Whatever it is, write it down and save it to review next time so you can avoid the same mistakes, and spend more time on new improvements.
There will never be a “perfect” prep, but you can always improve upon the last.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic