Latest Member
angelarbatt
What's New?

Could someone tell me......

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
If you want to strengthen the core stop thinking of the core as the abs, also stop training the abs in a way they do not normally function. I'm not going to rant right now but most people are clueless.

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
I have actually done them in the past... dont do them currently...

however, when done correctly you actually keep the tension on your pecs with the elbow slightly bent. again when done properly it is a decent way to isolate your pecs.

the point is to keep your pec flexed while holding the weight up. When you lock your arm you are just wasting energy.

it is similar to the exercise that gixx is referring to but you have a counter weight.

while it may look like a ghey excercise... it is not nearly as gay as benching on a smith machine ;)

fixxer

fixxer

MuscleHead
Dec 15, 2010
ive seen them do this before as well and i think it is just as retarded. since you do it, why? what great benefit are you getting by doing it? i see no purpose in trying to "strengthen" the core like that why not do more ab exercises if that is ones goal. seems like a way safer option. and as far as the whole MMC goes, drop your weight and go slow and actually concentrate on good form and using the appropriate muscles and keep yourself balanced.

Not retarded. What is retarded is having a closed-mind when it comes to exercises that aren't conventional. I'm not saying, nor will I ever say, to use this as your go-to exercise, BUT the body needs different and new stimuli to continue to grow. This could be another tool in your bag so to speak to vary things up a bit. "If you want to do core just do core." I will disagree with this statement. By doing them without the counterweight you work your core and develop it in a manner directly relative to the muscle your working/exercise you are performing. The MMC between core stabilization and chest press exercise is right there for you to grasp. I think you're missing a couple key concepts. It's a hard thing to explain, no one can teach you, you just figure it out on your own. The way you train and the foundation upon which you base that training will probably change 100x over before you die. I sense great change in your future, grasshoppa.

I have actually done them in the past... dont do them currently...

however, when done correctly you actually keep the tension on your pecs with the elbow slightly bent. again when done properly it is a decent way to isolate your pecs.

the point is to keep your pec flexed while holding the weight up. When you lock your arm you are just wasting energy.

it is similar to the exercise that gixx is referring to but you have a counter weight.

while it may look like a ghey excercise... it is not nearly as gay as benching on a smith machine ;)

Word, except for the smith machine part.

MightyMouse719

MightyMouse719

National Champion & VIP Member
Jul 8, 2011
ATW, at first I thought you meant unilateral DB Presses, but then I reread for comprehension, and realized what you meant. Never tried it, but my shoulders are protesting the idea beforehand.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
Not retarded. What is retarded is having a closed-mind when it comes to exercises that aren't conventional. I'm not saying, nor will I ever say, to use this as your go-to exercise, BUT the body needs different and new stimuli to continue to grow. This could be another tool in your bag so to speak to vary things up a bit. "If you want to do core just do core." I will disagree with this statement. By doing them without the counterweight you work your core and develop it in a manner directly relative to the muscle your working/exercise you are performing. The MMC between core stabilization and chest press exercise is right there for you to grasp. I think you're missing a couple key concepts. It's a hard thing to explain, no one can teach you, you just figure it out on your own. The way you train and the foundation upon which you base that training will probably change 100x over before you die. I sense great change in your future, grasshoppa.

i am a bit closed minded when it comes to certain things. my dad was all about efficiency of movement meaning that one did not waste energy on something that was not directly related to what one was doing. if you picked up a haybale you better be in the position to move it to where it needed to go without setting it down again and having to pick it back up. every movement had to have a reason for it and a good reason. so i look at these youngsters that are about 18% bodyfat and about every lift they do is poor form and too much weight and they dont even look like they lift and i wonder why they are wasting time on an exercise like that instead of concentrating on building some muscle first so that they have a reason to need more core strength. does that make sense? certainly if one is competing in bb they probably like exercises that are different and work things differently so they can improve their overall look but if you are just starting out, to me all these variations are the last thing one should be doing. when your dead is high enough or your are squating enough to need the stronger core or to better your stabilization then by all means, if that is your thing, go for it. but if you are only doing a 4" squat and have never tried to deadlift, you are wasting precious energy IMO. get some mass and strength first and then work on refining.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
I am seeing a trend in strongman.Folks come in hard and fast.Then they fizzle.I tend to think youngsters doing stuff like this is part of the reason for the fizzle. You gotta take the time to build yourself up before you start doing stuff like this.
Lobgevity in itself is something to be proud of.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
I beleive it is open game on tea bagging anyone on the bench doing these imo ;)

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
well considering ATW and I dont have balls can we borrow yours? Oh wait I forgot who we were talking to maybe Shine will let us use his ;)

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
well considering ATW and I dont have balls can we borrow yours? Oh wait I forgot who we were talking to maybe Shine will let us use his ;)

Lay on the bench and i'm sure we can work out the lending of balls.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic