Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Could someone tell me......

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
so yesterday at the gym i was working chest and there was this youngster in there working chest as well. he is probably 20 yrs give or take a few, they all look like babies when you are my age :D anyway he put started doing dumbbell bench and he was holding one arm up with the weight and pressing with the other and then switching. now i have seen this done a bunch by the youngsters in the gym and i have wondered why, so after watching him for a few sets i asked him why. guess what his answer was.......

"i dont know, ive just seen other guys doing it." now that is a good reason. so i am wondering, is there a reason to do this because the way i see it you are way stressing your soft tissues of the shoulder that you are keeping held in the air and it is using twice the energy for the same amount of work and you risk losing your balance and are at a greater risk of injury. the whole thing seems retarded to me but what do i know. im a simple person and a simple db press would seem to be the most logical as i cant see what holding one up in the air is going to contribute to growing any muscle.

Halo

Halo

VIP Member
Jul 5, 2011
Not surprised by the answer you got.

For me, I'm with you ATW, the stress on the shoulder isn't even close to being worth it. I the crossfitters in one of my gyms doing presses like that standing and sometimes with kettlebells. I'm not trying to hate on the people that do that shit, it's just not for me and they are always in the damn way at the gym.

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
Prolly saw it in a men's fitness magazine or something.... The article prolly has a long write up about how it works ur core and stabilizers etc.... Then they finish off with some cables and there done lol

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
sounds like a way to increase joint stress (bad) and waste energy as you mentioned. I understand doing one arm at a time from a mind/muscle connection standpoint but I don't understand what he was doing at all.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Prolly saw it in a men's fitness magazine or something.... The article prolly has a long write up about how it works ur core and stabilizers etc.... Then they finish off with some cables and there done lol

10136425.jpg

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Lol.... probably for the same reasons I saw a guy doing a dance routine with a 45# plate at the gym yesterday. He was twirling it and passing it between his legs... all to a nice beat lol.... Unlike you I didn't bother to ask... :D

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
Just a new gay fad thing that I bet don't work and LOL because I see others doing it LOL.

Why change what works and just use both hands with one dumbbell in each.

If I see this I'll ask if they are 2 weak to press with one hand like the big boys.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
This is all I'm gonna do 3x a week from now on...

Last edited by a moderator:
fixxer

fixxer

MuscleHead
Dec 15, 2010
Maybe extra time under tension? I think that exercise is just a lazy mans offshoot of the harder version: One arm DB press with only one dumbbell at a time. Meaning, you aren't holding a dumbbell in your other hand. It's a good one.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
Maybe extra time under tension? I think that exercise is just a lazy mans offshoot of the harder version: One arm DB press with only one dumbbell at a time. Meaning, you aren't holding a dumbbell in your other hand. It's a good one.
ive seen them do this before as well and i think it is just as retarded. since you do it, why? what great benefit are you getting by doing it? i see no purpose in trying to "strengthen" the core like that why not do more ab exercises if that is ones goal. seems like a way safer option. and as far as the whole MMC goes, drop your weight and go slow and actually concentrate on good form and using the appropriate muscles and keep yourself balanced.

jandj0821

jandj0821

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2011
I'vce done them in the past and its a great tool to assist with the stabilization muscles. Not sure if that came out right. Like doing suitcase deadlifts. stabilization is key. If your doing the DB with 60% of max its not too bad. As for the answer I dont know, now thats stupid. Have a plan and stick with it, but know what your doing. Just my thoughts.

II Nice video. Just add the shaker weight and you will be in shape... LOL

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic