Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
arcticranger
What's New?

Corona Virus. How much of a threat is it?

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
LOL... I saw that on TV and was like these guys are just using this to stay home from work, which really isn’t a super hard job.

mike, does that doctor have to be tested since he’s with his wife? Or just he uses his own discretion based on symptoms?

This really is a joke. 4 Republican politicians are self quarantined after socializing with a NJ Super PAC donor who is Covid-19 positive. One of them flew on Air Force One with Trump early this week (after exposure). Despite this Trump is out shaking hands and keeping his rallies on schedule.

Hard to take anything his HHS guys say seriously when he doesn’t.

Also, I work with a Dr whose wife is being quarantined after she cared for a patient who is Covid-19 positive at another of our campuses. Despite his wife being quarantined with definite exposure to a state reported case...he is sleeping in the same bed with her nightly and operating (and rounding) on patients at our campus with Infectious Diseases knowledge.

Yet my wife and I are traveling to Playa Del Carmen Saturday and had to register with our Healthcare System's International Affair Office and must be seen by Occ Health before returning to work.

Feels a lot like a social experiment or the Twilight Zone.

SpyWizard

SpyWizard

VIP Member
Nov 24, 2015
This really is a joke. 4 Republican politicians are self quarantined after socializing with a NJ Super PAC donor who is Covid-19 positive. One of them flew on Air Force One with Trump early this week (after exposure). Despite this Trump is out shaking hands and keeping his rallies on schedule.

Hard to take anything his HHS guys say seriously when he doesn’t.

Also, I work with a Dr whose wife is being quarantined after she cared for a patient who is Covid-19 positive at another of our campuses. Despite his wife being quarantined with definite exposure to a state reported case...he is sleeping in the same bed with her nightly and operating (and rounding) on patients at our campus with Infectious Diseases knowledge.

Yet my wife and I are traveling to Playa Del Carmen Saturday and had to register with our Healthcare System's International Affair Office and must be seen by Occ Health before returning to work.

Feels a lot like a social experiment or the Twilight Zone.

that's for damn sure.... here's one, when the stock market takes a dive like that.. buy buy buy... then 3 days later.. sell sell sell.. it's how rich "hedge fund" people and companies bounce the market to make more money..

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
For those of you who compare this to the normal flu virus, you are missing a very important fact that raises the stakes for those of us who eventually will catch this coronavirus: It is a new strain of virus, transmitted to humans recently from animals (probably bats) and because it is a new strain, humans do not have good immunity to it. So the impact of the pandemic will depend on how virulent and deadly this particular strain is. And that impact will not be dampened by herd immunity. Remember your history folks, that when Europeans came to North America, they brought diseases that Native Americans had never been exposed to and their populations were decimated. I'm not saying this will be decimating, but I don't think we should minimize it by comparing it to common flu before we have a chance to see how far it spreads in the next 6 weeks or so.

With normal flu, the mutations occur in the human population and are generally smaller, therefore we have a better immune response to the normal flu, thus not as many of us get seriously ill from it and herd immunity is likely to dampen the effects of the flu quite a bit.

SpyWizard

SpyWizard

VIP Member
Nov 24, 2015
making the jump from animal to human is a big thing indeed... good thing there s a 99.7% recovery from this virus, if those stats are to be believed.. the real problem is that the media has blown this way out of proportion, and crying wolf one too many times, especially when it's politically motivated, that's a real issue..

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Unless somebody knows the date this virus will be gone, then the end is not in sight. Until the end IS in sight, it is premature to say the media is blowing it out of proportion. They may be, or it may turn out that they understated things.

"The media" is a collective term that does not apply here. Some elements of the media paint a scary picture of what this bug will eventually have done. Other media outlets are busy minimizing the effects of the current virus scare. "Politically motivated" and "for profit" may be synonymous in this case and might describe both media reporting styles, but we will only know which one was right or wrong when we are sure it's all over.

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
U're not going to live forever anyway....:)...Why worry?...

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
If u share SAD's belief (survival of the fittest, A.K.A. Darwinism or Darwinianism),then no worries...This will weed out the weak...

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
Unless somebody knows the date this virus will be gone, then the end is not in sight. Until the end IS in sight, it is premature to say the media is blowing it out of proportion. They may be, or it may turn out that they understated things.

"The media" is a collective term that does not apply here. Some elements of the media paint a scary picture of what this bug will eventually have done. Other media outlets are busy minimizing the effects of the current virus scare. "Politically motivated" and "for profit" may be synonymous in this case and might describe both media reporting styles, but we will only know which one was right or wrong when we are sure it's all over.

Don't they always "blow" everything out of proportion?...SENSATIONALISM, my boy!...SENSATIONALISM!!!!!

CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
When this strain of the flu kills 30k I'll buy a pallet of toilet paper.

Jin

Jin

MuscleHead
Jun 15, 2018
When this strain of the flu kills 30k I'll buy a pallet of toilet paper.

Guaranteed to kill many times that just in America. This isn’t a strain of influenza.

Stay safe dad.

——————

US is 10-14 days behind Italy.

Expect full hospitals.
Triage
Long waits for ambulances

I expect significantly reduced freedoms.

Mock me all you want now.

Don’t say you hadn’t been warned later on.

This is the tip of the tip of the iceberg.

The next several months will be.....intense.

Be safe.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic