Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Joannafit
What's New?

Corona Virus. How much of a threat is it?

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
I’ll say it.

If it fizzles out, then great.

If it doesn’t, it’s the population-reducing reckoning that the earth needs.

We’re overpopulated and better than ever at keeping people alive. I’m not a tree hugger but there’s limited space and resources on this earth. It’s a fact. Old and weak die off = better for everyone?

I’m not heartless. My dad has cancer and is high risk for mortality from basic infections. But he’s the one who taught me that sometimes you cull a herd for the betterment of the ranch.

100% hopeful that this gets shut down and figured out quickly and safely. I’m not hoping for worldwide catastrophe. I’m also a legit germaphobe, ironically.

Ok, I said it.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
So you're saying California is welcoming this so they can fix the homeless situation @SAD ;)

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
So you're saying California is welcoming this so they can fix the homeless situation @SAD ;)

Oof. Hadn’t really given too much thought to the homeless, as bad as that sounds. And at the risk of sounding heartless again, it’s natural selection/Darwinism at work. Survival of the fittest, wealthiest, middle-ageist, strongest immune-system-iest...

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
I cannot access that page as I am out of country.

Can you post a link to any data cited in the article?

Here is the Washington Post Article:

By
Joel Achenbach and
Erica Werner
March 6, 2020 at 10:15 a.m. EST
The question everyone is asking: Just how deadly is the novel coronavirus? As it spreads across the planet, researchers are desperate to understand the contagiousness and lethality of covid-19, a respiratory disease that has killed more than 3,400 people.
Evidence is mounting that the disease is most likely to result in serious illness or death among the elderly and people with existing health problems. It has little effect on most children, for reasons unknown.
The World Health Organization on Tuesday stated that the global case fatality rate is 3.4 percent. But that figure can be misleading if not framed correctly, and the official case fatality rate is likely to drop in coming months.

U.S. health officials on Thursday briefed lawmakers in Congress and said they believe the case fatality rate in this country will most likely be in the range of 0.1 to 1.0 percent, meaning somewhere between one of every thousand and one of every hundred people with covid-19 will die.

What we know about the coronavirus: Symptoms, transmission and response

As of early March, people have tested positive for the coronavirus in about 70 countries. Officials are taking "unprecedented" actions. (Amber Ferguson, Jayne Orenstein/The Washington Post)
That would make covid-19 closer in lethality to influenza in severe or pandemic flu seasons, according to an article in the New England Journal of Medicine co-authored by Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. The article states that the true fatality rate of covid-19 “may be considerably less” than 1 percent, and “may ultimately be more akin to those of a severe seasonal influenza (which has a case fatality rate of approximately 0.1%) or a pandemic influenza (similar to those in 1957 and 1968) rather than a disease similar to SARS or MERS, which have had case fatality rates of 9 to 10% and 36%, respectively.”
The WHO’s fatality percentage, announced Tuesday, is based simply on the number of deaths globally (the numerator) and the number of confirmed cases of covid-19 (the denominator). As of Friday the WHO had counted 3,400 deaths among 100,000 cases.

But the official numbers do not capture the full scope of the contagion. The actual number of deaths from the virus might be somewhat higher, in part because of undercounting or misdiagnosis. There is little doubt that the number of infections — in many cases among people who either did not get sick or thought they had only a mild illness — is larger than the official case count. The infection rate will not be known until researchers do broad surveys to see who has developed antibodies to the virus.

imrs.php
Mount Sinai Health System hospital in Manhattan held a personal protective equipment (PPE) refresher training course for staff preparing for coronavirus. (Sharon Pulwer/For the Washington Post)
Sign up for our Coronavirus Updates newsletter to track the outbreak. All stories linked in the newsletter are free to access.
“Many people don’t get sick and don’t get tested,” Brett P. Giroir, assistant secretary for health at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, told reporters Thursday after participating in a closed-door briefing for House members.
“The modeling suggests that we have a denominator problem. If you’re really sick and you have respiratory failure, you go see someone and you get tested. But if you’re not very ill, as most people are not, they do not get tested. They do not get counted in the denominator, especially in a crisis situation like in China,” he said.

As late as Friday afternoon, the United States had 14 deaths among 260 cases, a rate of 5.4 percent. But testing has been slow in the U.S., and as it becomes more widespread the rate will plummet.
“Your denominator is going to explode, which will push the case fatality rate down. But it will also push the number of affected persons and communities up,” said Kathleen Jordan, vice president and chief medical officer of Saint Francis Memorial Hospital in San Francisco.

The enigmatic nature of the new virus and the many unknowns about its trajectory have put people on edge, she said.
“I do think people tend to panic when it’s unknown. Just having information about how it spread, how to protect yourself, it calms people down and makes them act appropriately and effectively,” she said.

How coronavirus kills people
A report from 25 researchers from China, the United States and six other countries and published by the WHO suggests the current high fatality rate is skewed by the terrible death toll in the first chaotic weeks of the outbreak in Wuhan, China. People who became sick in the first 10 days of January experienced a 17.3 percent death rate, the report said.
But among people developing symptoms after Feb. 1, the fatality rate has been 0.7 percent, the report said, noting that “the standard of care has evolved over the course of the outbreak.”
AD

The first cases in Wuhan were identified at the end of December. Not until Jan. 23 did the Chinese authorities impose severe travel restrictions designed to contain the spread of the coronavirus, officially known as SARS-CoV-2.

In those early days, doctors struggled to understand what they were dealing with and how best to treat patients, and “were quite overwhelmed,” said Christine Kreuder Johnson, an epidemiologist at the University of California at Davis.
“That can create a high case fatality rate because you can only tackle the most severe cases,” she said. “You’ve got patients that might not get the same care they might get in other circumstances — in peacetime, as we say.”
Another new study from China, based on 1,099 patients in 552 hospitals across the country, put the case fatality rate there at 1.4 percent.

“At this point it’s all speculative. We don’t know the denominator,” said Columbia University epidemiologist Ian Lipkin, who recently visited China.

The China data does not necessarily predict what will happen elsewhere, said Michael Osterholm, an infectious disease expert at the University of Minnesota.
“You can’t just take Chinese data and suddenly lay it over the United States. And say it’s going to be 2 percent or 3,” he said. “It’s going to be totally a reflection of the at-risk population. What are the underlying risk factors? Obesity? Smoking? Over 60 percent of Americans have an underlying health problem that could contribute to a poor outcome with this event.”
China has a higher case fatality rate than South Korea, where, as of Thursday, 35 people had died among 6,088 cases — a rate of 0.57 percent. Germany has reported 262 cases but zero deaths.

A new study suggests the virus has split into two strains and a less aggressive strain is now more prevalent than a deadlier one. But that is a preliminary report and not confirmed.
The report said reviews of 103 samples of the virus showed two distinct strains, which the authors name the L and the S strains. They hypothesized that the more aggressive L strain sickened people to the point that they sought medical treatment or other interventions. That would have made it less likely to spread. A less aggressive strain, the S type, could have circulated more easily over time among people who continued about their daily lives.
Jeffery Taubenberger, a virologist at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said he would have to see “a lot more convincing data before I would begin to think that hypothesis was supported.”

He said the study did not contain enough data showing a clear link between the different strains and different medical outcomes. But animal viruses do mutate soon after they enter a new species, such as human beings, he said: “Certain adaptations are necessary. It’s likely that change will occur early on in the pandemic.”
Taubenberger is an expert on influenza pandemics, including the 1918 Spanish Flu, the worst in history. Estimates of the fatality rate of Spanish Flu are impeded by a lack of data on how many people were infected. But Taubenberger said a plausible estimate is a 1.1 percent case fatality rate in the United States and 4.6 percent globally.
In 1957, the influenza pandemic probably had a U.S. fatality rate of about 0.07, he said.
Asked to appraise the current coronavirus epidemic, he said, “Right now, to me, it looks like it’s sort of on par with an influenza pandemic in its impact. Obviously we hope it’s not going to be a 1918-like impact. It’s something we definitely need to take seriously.”

CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
According to the CDC 20,000 people have died from the common flu this flu season. Drama Queens are going drama.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
BOOM! . . . woodswise breaks through the firewall !

Jin

Jin

MuscleHead
Jun 15, 2018
The article is pure speculation. We’ll never know until all is said and done what the actual mortality rate and case fatality rate are.

3.5%. No way. Not unless it mutates into something more deadly.

0.1% Same as the flu? Give me a break.

The article is pure speculation.

Even at 1% case fatality rate, if half the country gets it that’s over 1.5M deaths.

Low balling the critical care number at half what the data shows (assuming half the country gets the virus and 5% require hospitalization) that’s still over 8M people hospitalized.

Estimated available beds in the us 300,000.

We have vaccines and immunities against the flu.

THIS ISNT THE FLU.

Data doesn’t lie. It may be better than some of the data suggests but we are still absolutely unprepared to deal with this.

At this point I’m stepping out of the conversation and I will let the next 6 weeks convince you.

Not the end of the world, but the USA is underprepared, the CDC has dropped the ball numerous times and the US will pay the price.

Tomas Payne

Tomas Payne

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2014
As a result of the numbers infected and those who have died from COVID-19 compared to the exposed pupulations, you have a better chance of catching & dying from the flu. I don't have mainstream TV, so the concern has not permeated my lifestyle, but I am sure the constant barrage of negativity surrounding these case would cause citizens to modify the behaviour or demand that the government do something for security and protection. On a separate note, how is that auto-insurance policy working out for you, if you catch my drift?

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
The article is pure speculation. We’ll never know until all is said and done what the actual mortality rate and case fatality rate are.

3.5%. No way. Not unless it mutates into something more deadly.

0.1% Same as the flu? Give me a break.

The article is pure speculation.

Even at 1% case fatality rate, if half the country gets it that’s over 1.5M deaths.

Low balling the critical care number at half what the data shows (assuming half the country gets the virus and 5% require hospitalization) that’s still over 8M people hospitalized.

Estimated available beds in the us 300,000.

We have vaccines and immunities against the flu.

THIS ISNT THE FLU.

Data doesn’t lie. It may be better than some of the data suggests but we are still absolutely unprepared to deal with this.

At this point I’m stepping out of the conversation and I will let the next 6 weeks convince you.

Not the end of the world, but the USA is underprepared, the CDC has dropped the ball numerous times and the US will pay the price.

Jin, how well can the IS fight this?...If it is strong would one have to worry?...Or will it not matter?...

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
I’ll say it.

If it fizzles out, then great.

If it doesn’t, it’s the population-reducing reckoning that the earth needs.

We’re overpopulated and better than ever at keeping people alive. I’m not a tree hugger but there’s limited space and resources on this earth. It’s a fact. Old and weak die off = better for everyone?

I’m not heartless. My dad has cancer and is high risk for mortality from basic infections. But he’s the one who taught me that sometimes you cull a herd for the betterment of the ranch.

100% hopeful that this gets shut down and figured out quickly and safely. I’m not hoping for worldwide catastrophe. I’m also a legit germaphobe, ironically.

Ok, I said it.

Oof. Hadn’t really given too much thought to the homeless, as bad as that sounds. And at the risk of sounding heartless again, it’s natural selection/Darwinism at work. Survival of the fittest, wealthiest, middle-ageist, strongest immune-system-iest...

I bet almost every medical professional disagrees...:)

Also, I've got data to show that there is plenty of space on this planet for EVERYONE LIVING and whom are dead to have their own roomy plot...It's man's greed, heartlessness, and a few other factors that make it appear as u have stated...

However, I'm not arguing...Just saying...

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
I bought some 136.2% bourbon yesterday, that's 68% alcohol, well over the threshold to kill the virus.

I'm not cutting back traveling unless I am mandated to, we have several areas that we are currently restricted to travel to, (San Fran, Cook Cty, Il etc)

Will I be more vigilant to touch less in the airport and on a plane and wash my hands more, yep. Will I be wearing surgical gloves and a mask, nope.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic