Close Grip Bench Press

Bigherm21

Bigherm21

Apr 12, 2012
Ya I broke one arm twice and the other once so they can hurt

G

gaz0648

Mar 9, 2012
i use a shoulder width grip, which for me is index finger on the edge of the smooth. no need to go much closer imo.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
I go closer than shoulder width to make my tris do the work . I bench to be a better presser though not for anything else.

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
I place my hands over my nipples and go from there. Too close together and you will feel it in your wrist, in a painful way.

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
Take note folks. Do not bring your grip too close in on the bar and DO NOT go heavy or overly aggressive...like me.

A few weeks ago i was getting aggressive with the weight on this movement, pushing 225 for about 10 reps. Did not feel anything immediately, but now have this nagging pain in my right wrist. I know i tweeked something, now if i attempt close grip bench press, i have to use 135lbs and its still uncomfortable. Do not fuck up like me.

K

krashrt

Sep 24, 2012
Take an unloaded bar, bring it to base of your chest with ur elbows where you want them. Slide your hands in as far as you can in inhibited. Then come out a pinch. That's my method. I've had joint issues in past from gripping too close and forcing joints to absorb range. Seems some people have more ROM than others.

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
Take note folks. Do not bring your grip too close in on the bar and DO NOT go heavy or overly aggressive...like me.

A few weeks ago i was getting aggressive with the weight on this movement, pushing 225 for about 10 reps. Did not feel anything immediately, but now have this nagging pain in my right wrist. I know i tweeked something, now if i attempt close grip bench press, i have to use 135lbs and its still uncomfortable. Do not fuck up like me.

This may have happened from letting your elbows flare out to much.

Braw16

Braw16

MuscleHead
Aug 8, 2012
I have had some shoulder issues so I make sure I take an empty bar and just find a comfortable grip. I want to make sure my shoulders are in a good groove but my tris are working usually my grip ends up being just inside my shoulders. It's a pretty individual thing IMO. What works for each of us.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic