Latest Member
TableEffit
What's New?

bully 5.0

UncleAl

UncleAl

MuscleHead
Jun 20, 2012
You are not alone. I've been using RPE long enough to be able to gauge properly, but I often find the mindset difficult, especially when I want to reach the milestones I feel I need to prepare for a PR attempt. Consequently, I might take a brutal final workset to an RPE 10, just to hit that interim number. Of course, that fucks up my fatigue management, but sometimes that trumps losing confidence.

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
May not have been warmed up quite enough. You only had 20 reps in before working sets. Take 135 for 3 sets of 5. 185 x 5. 225 x 5. 275 x 5 and around here start keeping notes on those feels. Maybe 275 @6 cause you could hit for 10 in one set. So then go 315 and see where you are at.

It takes some getting used to so don't worry about that.

Thanks, will start warming as stated. Definitely taking some getting used to and learning my capabilities. Your advice is much appreciated!

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
Just for comparison's sake, my last 5x5 squat day looked something like this:

Mobs: Bodyweight squats, bodyweight pause squats, hip circle, bodyweight split squats

Warm-Ups
Bar x10 x2 sets (second set were paused)
105x5
145x5
185x3 - this is where I usually can tell if the weight is feeling a bit heavier than usual, if it is then I'm thinking I may go conservative on my estimation, if not, and the weight feels like an empty bar, then I'll consider starting my working sets around what I did the last cycle (265x5), but one more warm-up set to confirm...
235x2 - well, the weight was still feeling light on my back, but I was coming up out of the hole a little slower than I was expecting, so I'm going to have to test out some sets to gauge RPE (starting below what I did last time with 250x5)
Working Sets
250x5 (I thought "too easy" could have done 10 reps)
260x5 (I thought "this is decent, I could stop here, but I think four more sets at this weight and reps would end leave me with 4-5 reps in the tank at the end - maybe ending around RPE 8 at most")
270x5 (I thought "this is it, the last two reps were a smidge harder than the first; weight feels good but coming out of the hole is a little slow - but I am pretty sure I can do at least 3-4 more sets at this weight/rep scheme without hitting failure or grinding the last rep")

Sometimes writing brief notes like this in your training journal at various points - can help to give you a sense of gauging RPE. I find that the 5x5 day is the most challenging, followed by 15x2 days.

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Chris i really appreciate the in depth replies and solid advice!

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Tossing ego aside and taking rest day. Shoulders and traps are absolutely fried today. I only managed bout 2hrs of sleep last night between the 3 showers i had to take to get rid of painful tingling/numbness down shoulders and into tris. #POB could this be from hand placement? Im very wide, just inside collars, but ive never experienced this before. Or could it be due to volume. Wide grip just feels more secure

silvereyes87

silvereyes87

MuscleHead
May 28, 2016
No shame in rest days brother just took 3 mysekf. Get back to feeling healthy. Especially if sleep is an issue

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Chris if you have a lot of difficulty with rpe on 5x5 days you can always do a top set of 5 with 2 to 4 back off sets with 5 to 10% fatigue drop.

Would that make it easier?

Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara

Jun 14, 2016
I'm awful at judging RPE, too, don't feel bad. I was doing 6x3 bench last week and was supposed to be RPE 7-8 for the sets and the sixth set was an AMRAP. I could've sworn every set was a 9, then got 7 reps on the AMRAP. I think part of my problem might be not warming up enough, too.

I don't know if you've read The RTS Manual or much on their website, but this chart might help you a bit.

miket-rpe.png

That's RPE on the left, reps on the top and percentages of 1RM in the middle. It's just a generic chart and they actually recommend everyone come up with their own over time and through experience as we're all going to be a little different. It's a place to start though.

They also recommend that after your warm-up sets you do a set at 90% of your projected top set (same reps) and then 95% (also same reps) and then make adjustments to your top set based on that. Go up if you feel great, down if you don't or just stay the course.

Anyway, I hope that helps.

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
I'm awful at judging RPE, too, don't feel bad. I was doing 6x3 bench last week and was supposed to be RPE 7-8 for the sets and the sixth set was an AMRAP. I could've sworn every set was a 9, then got 7 reps on the AMRAP. I think part of my problem might be not warming up enough, too.

I don't know if you've read The RTS Manual or much on their website, but this chart might help you a bit.

miket-rpe.png

That's RPE on the left, reps on the top and percentages of 1RM in the middle. It's just a generic chart and they actually recommend everyone come up with their own over time and through experience as we're all going to be a little different. It's a place to start though.

They also recommend that after your warm-up sets you do a set at 90% of your projected top set (same reps) and then 95% (also same reps) and then make adjustments to your top set based on that. Go up if you feel great, down if you don't or just stay the course.

Anyway, I hope that helps.

Exactly what i was looking for! Im no good winging it, i need numbers. This will give me a confident starting point till i get myslef dialed in. Big thanks man!!!

Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara

Jun 14, 2016
Exactly what i was looking for! Im no good winging it, i need numbers. This will give me a confident starting point till i get myslef dialed in. Big thanks man!!!

No problem. I find this max calculator app pretty useful, too. I don't know the rules on posting links here, but it's this one. First one that comes up on Google searching for one rep max calculator.

Screenshot_2016-06-16-09-52-17-1.png

It's got a handy slider scale where you can figure up different rep maxes and kind of get an idea where your sets should be. Not completely accurate, but a starting point like you said. Also a percentage scale that's useful for your ramp up sets.

Call it RPE for Dummies, lol. I need numbers for a starting point, too. My feelings on a set are nowhere near reality most of the time either.

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Wave1/week3/day4

Chest support bb row
Bar x 20
95 x 10 w/pause
135 x 10
185 x 10
215 x 5 x 10

Oh tri ext
40 x 10
80 x 2.5 x 10 *
65 x 2.5 x 10

Bb curls
55 x 10
80 x 3 x 10

Plate loaded ham curls
45 x 10
75 x 5

Abs/ads
Green band x 3 x 20 - each leg, each exercise

*shoulder

Wave1 down and i feel my absolute best in 10yrs. Strength and confidence climbing, looking forward to wave2

Bigherm21

Bigherm21

Apr 12, 2012
Good job dude. Wave 2 is awhile new life.

Reactions: 5.0
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic