Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Bullshit made up stats

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
How many times have we heard some made up stats on a talk show or movie and people start repeating it like its fact?

I was sent a link to a podcast and the guest was talking about there being only 25-30,000 people in the USA with a visible six pak. This might be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. At least top 10 dumbest.

I've also been seeing the fake stat going around that if you can squat your body-weight, bench press your body-weight and dead-lift double your body-weight you are among the top 5% strongest people on earth. WTF?!?

Ogre717

Ogre717

TID Official Lab Rat
Jul 22, 2011
The abs stat seems off but the top 5% one could be believable. There's a lot of people in the world, most of them aren't even remotely fit. Of the few people that do lift, most are recreationally exercising, not hitting those numbers.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
The abs stat seems off but the top 5% one could be believable. There's a lot of people in the world, most of them aren't even remotely fit. Of the few people that do lift, most are recreationally exercising, not hitting those numbers.
Yeah the 5% might be accurate but man...if it is there are a lot of weak ass people in this world. Are we the only ones who started benching close to our body-weight? I mean, I was never a strong bencher but I started with 105 at a weight of about 130 when I was 13 years old. The only real strength I see here would be the double bodyweight deadlift. And I know most females can do that after a year of consistent training.

Maybe my perception of strength is just skewed due to the people I hang around and train with.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
That 5% stat is interesting, I wonder how far off from the truth it is. You will have guys with chicken legs who probably have never been under a squat bar.

I've seen a lot of people say they can squat "X-AMOUNT" of weight, but then they are talking about the leg press, or some stupid machine, LOL! That isn't close to the same as a bar on your back:)

I really doubt most 225# men out there can even bench that weight, so the 5% is pretty interesting to me. Like under a barbell on a bench free weight.....not a machine. lol.

Glycomann

Glycomann

VIP Member
Jan 19, 2011
Yeah the 5% might be accurate but man...if it is there are a lot of weak ass people in this world. Are we the only ones who started benching close to our body-weight? I mean, I was never a strong bencher but I started with 105 at a weight of about 130 when I was 13 years old. The only real strength I see here would be the double bodyweight deadlift. And I know most females can do that after a year of consistent training.

Maybe my perception of strength is just skewed due to the people I hang around and train with.
A quick check might be to see how many people belong to gyms. Then assume that 1% of them have visible abs in the dead of summer. Of course we would be relying on statistics for the numbers but according to statistica 64 million people in the US go to a gym. That would give 640,000 people with abs in the dead of summer. If it were 0.1% that would give you 64,000 with abs in the dead of summer.

Glycomann

Glycomann

VIP Member
Jan 19, 2011
That 5% stat is interesting, I wonder how far off from the truth it is. You will have guys with chicken legs who probably have never been under a squat bar.

I've seen a lot of people say they can squat "X-AMOUNT" of weight, but then they are talking about the leg press, or some stupid machine, LOL! That isn't close to the same as a bar on your back:)

I really doubt most 225# men out there can even bench that weight, so the 5% is pretty interesting to me. Like under a barbell on a bench free weight.....not a machine. lol.
BMJ are you now identifying as a black chatty lesbian that works for uncle Joe from Delaware?

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
BMJ are you now identifying as a black chatty lesbian that works for uncle Joe from Delaware?
Yes sir!!! She's hot and a very truthful gay black woman. She has very nice supple skin that goes great when she wears all clothing, but especially yellow and white.

My boss is the best communicator in the White House....EVER!:D

69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011
5% is 1 in 20 people.

I don't think if I took a random sampling of the population that 1 in 20 could squat deadlift and bench their bodyweight.

Maybe if you made it exclusive to men I'd buy it.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I have seen those things on IG. I have a skewed perspective, having lived in the military community for the last 26 years. When I hear those stats I laugh, because I look around the gym and it is almost 100% of the population hitting those numbers.

Ogre717

Ogre717

TID Official Lab Rat
Jul 22, 2011
I have seen those things on IG. I have a skewed perspective, having lived in the military community for the last 26 years. When I hear those stats I laugh, because I look around the gym and it is almost 100% of the population hitting those numbers.
Yea but we are something like 1% of the population so..

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic