Latest Member
AKC83
What's New?

Building the perfect set for hypertrophy

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
GS, this is turning into a really great thread. Thanks for posting it. . . :t2991:

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
I like it, except I would mix it up over time so not every workout is for hypertrophy. Some should be for lower reps at higher weights, like power lifting, and some should be with very high reps, such as 15, 20 or 30. I think if you mix it up, you won't need to take time off from the gym as often and you will make more progress in the long run.

I've edited the original post to include some high rep sets. Gave you cred.

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
I would like more input on rest periods between sets for the goal of hypertrophy. I need a rule. It has to be more than just a feeling. As of right now I'm keeping it under a minute unless we can come up with a scientific guideline.

kyle grey

kyle grey

MuscleHead
May 15, 2012
Don't overdo the drop sets I would only do them on the last set of one exercise per bodypart (is that what you planned ? ) . Hypertrophy comes from really getting inside the muscle and feeling it work breaking down each rep and trying to make that harder rather than a set of rules or formula .

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
I would like more input on rest periods between sets for the goal of hypertrophy. I need a rule. It has to be more than just a feeling. As of right now I'm keeping it under a minute unless we can come up with a scientific guideline.

Again, variety will be the key. I think when you are doing high volume (8-12 reps) heavy weights, resting up to 2 minutes between sets is okay. But if you are going with high reps and lower weight, I would shorten the rest period to as little as 1 minute, and if you are in really great shape maybe less.

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
Don't overdo the drop sets I would only do them on the last set of one exercise per bodypart (is that what you planned ? ) . Hypertrophy comes from really getting inside the muscle and feeling it work breaking down each rep and trying to make that harder rather than a set of rules or formula .

I've been doing a drop set on the last set of most exercises. I have not been doing drops on the exercises that I choose to do 15 - 20 reps on. That's only one or two exercises per workout that don't get a drop set. You think it's too much?

I'm lucky enough to have a good mind muscle connection. I can squeeze almost any muscle consciously. I've also been studying some kinesiology and every day I'm getting a firmer grasp on bio mechanics and I believe I know how to make each exercise as targeted and as hard as possible.

I want to take the guesswork out of these variables. So, lets assume that each rep is being performed perfectly. (I'm not claiming to be perfect. Just want to set aside execution) Do we just leave all the other variables to "feel"? Because I will find it hard to push outside my comfort zone if I'm allowed to rest as long as I see fit.

Last edited:
GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
Again, variety will be the key. I think when you are doing high volume (8-12 reps) heavy weights, resting up to 2 minutes between sets is okay. But if you are going with high reps and lower weight, I would shorten the rest period to as little as 1 minute, and if you are in really great shape maybe less.

The weight right now is pretty light due to the 4 second negative on each rep. As I just mentioned to kyle, I'm placing a huge emphasis on bio mechanics and each exercise is a thought out process of how to get the target muscle fully shortened as well as squeezing the antagonist muscle on full extension. Regardless, I'm slowly adding weight each workout.

Would you say that since the weight is light right now that shorter rest periods are acceptable?

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
The weight right now is pretty light due to the 4 second negative on each rep. As I just mentioned to kyle, I'm placing a huge emphasis on bio mechanics and each exercise is a thought out process of how to get the target muscle fully shortened as well as squeezing the antagonist muscle on full extension. Regardless, I'm slowly adding weight each workout.

Would you say that since the weight is light right now that shorter rest periods are acceptable?

I think the goal should be to go outside your comfort zone (something I struggle with when working out alone), so imho the shorter the rest period, the better, as long as you are able to get a good portion of your reps on the last set. I think the lighter the weight compared to your 1rm, the more you will be able to shorten the rest periods and go outside your comfort zone.

kyle grey

kyle grey

MuscleHead
May 15, 2012
GS do you have a training partner ? If not try to find someone with the same aspirations to compete as yourself or a least someone who has trained with someone getting ready for a show, in my experience the best training partners I had were female competitors sorry to be sexist but I found a lot of guys prone to undue histrionics lol my wife often tells me to stop ****ing about and do my set .

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
GS do you have a training partner ? If not try to find someone with the same aspirations to compete as yourself or a least someone who has trained with someone getting ready for a show, in my experience the best training partners I had were female competitors sorry to be sexist but I found a lot of guys prone to undue histrionics lol my wife often tells me to stop ****ing about and do my set .

lol its so true. When I do have a partner it is usually my old lady and she kicks my ass. Unfortunately she is doing some rehabilitation and her workouts are quite different from mine right now. But that is temporary. There is only one other guy at my gym that is like minded but he trains too late. He doesn't get to the gym until 7 pm and that's just not going to cut it for me.

alpha

alpha

VIP Member
May 1, 2012
Hypertrophy can occur at a ton of different rep ranges. Some like to stick by the 8-12 rep range is the best for size, but in all honesty there is no magic number of reps. I think placing an emphasis on reps over volume is a big mistake. Volume IMHO is much more important for growth AND strength.

Example:
4x10 at 70% of your 1RM (which for this example, lets just use 200lbs as a 1RM) so 140 pounds.

with volume as an equation of Reps x Sets x Load we come up with a number of 5,600 to represent volume.

Lets use the same example and do a 6x6 at our 80% (160). So by the same equation we come up with a volume of 5,760.

The first example (4x10 @ 70%) we did an overall of 40 reps. In the second example (6x6 @ 80%) we did an overall of 36 reps which was less overall reps but still came out with a higher volume of overall load or resistance moved throughout the reps/sets for that given movement.

Then there is the issue of sacroplasmic hypertrophy vs Myofibrillar hypertrophy that someone has already touched on. Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy is an increase in the volume of the non-contractile muscle cell fluid (sarcoplasm), this only makes up 20-25% of the muscle size and that is what the higher rep ranges (8-12 rep range) tend to effect more. Also, this type of hypertrophy does NOT make strength gains. Without considerable strength gains you will not be moving up to a higher resistance on a given exercise over time, and will eventually plateau much easier. Myofibrillar hypertrophy, is an enlargement of the actual muscle fiber itself as it gains more myofibrils, which contract and generate tension in the muscle which in turn builds thicker and stronger muscle fibers. This is accomplished from lower rep ranges (3-6 range).

With all that said, someone isnt going to create much mass doing a 1x3 set/rep scheme, this is where the volume comes in. I truly believe and stand behind training in the >70% rep range, with 70% being the lowest I'll go. Then I tend to pick a set number of reps to achieve based on my own rep standards I've developed over the years.

EXAMPLE:
At my 80% I want to hit 30 reps minimum over the course of my sets. This could be a 6x6, 8x4, 5x7, etc etc while always trying to get the greatest volume number PER SET. (4x8 and 8x4 both equal 32 overall reps, but the 4x8 at a given variable for %1RM will always give a higher volume per set).

I believe for the best bang for your buck, you should stick to heavy resistance (>70%) compound movements (deads, presses [vertical/horizontal], squats) and focus on the VOLUME. Then you can add in the higher rep schemes on smaller isolation movements after the primary movers have done their work, or even on compound movements AFTER the main movement of the day was completed.

There are 2 ways to initiate the maximal number of muscle fiber recruitment for a given muscle, the first is an explosive contraction and the second is by using maximal or near maximal weights. IMHO I'd rather activate as many muscle fibers as I can for a given muscle/muscle group during an exercise, which is why I like to train most of my movements at heavy resistance.

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
Hypertrophy can occur at a ton of different rep ranges. Some like to stick by the 8-12 rep range is the best for size, but in all honesty there is no magic number of reps. I think placing an emphasis on reps over volume is a big mistake. Volume IMHO is much more important for growth AND strength.

Example:
4x10 at 70% of your 1RM (which for this example, lets just use 200lbs as a 1RM) so 140 pounds.

with volume as an equation of Reps x Sets x Load we come up with a number of 5,600 to represent volume.

Lets use the same example and do a 6x6 at our 80% (160). So by the same equation we come up with a volume of 5,760.

The first example (4x10 @ 70%) we did an overall of 40 reps. In the second example (6x6 @ 80%) we did an overall of 36 reps which was less overall reps but still came out with a higher volume of overall load or resistance moved throughout the reps/sets for that given movement.

Then there is the issue of sacroplasmic hypertrophy vs Myofibrillar hypertrophy that someone has already touched on. Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy is an increase in the volume of the non-contractile muscle cell fluid (sarcoplasm), this only makes up 20-25% of the muscle size and that is what the higher rep ranges (8-12 rep range) tend to effect more. Also, this type of hypertrophy does NOT make strength gains. Without considerable strength gains you will not be moving up to a higher resistance on a given exercise over time, and will eventually plateau much easier. Myofibrillar hypertrophy, is an enlargement of the actual muscle fiber itself as it gains more myofibrils, which contract and generate tension in the muscle which in turn builds thicker and stronger muscle fibers. This is accomplished from lower rep ranges (3-6 range).

With all that said, someone isnt going to create much mass doing a 1x3 set/rep scheme, this is where the volume comes in. I truly believe and stand behind training in the >70% rep range, with 70% being the lowest I'll go. Then I tend to pick a set number of reps to achieve based on my own rep standards I've developed over the years.

EXAMPLE:
At my 80% I want to hit 30 reps minimum over the course of my sets. This could be a 6x6, 8x4, 5x7, etc etc while always trying to get the greatest volume number PER SET. (4x8 and 8x4 both equal 32 overall reps, but the 4x8 at a given variable for %1RM will always give a higher volume per set).

I believe for the best bang for your buck, you should stick to heavy resistance (>70%) compound movements (deads, presses [vertical/horizontal], squats) and focus on the VOLUME. Then you can add in the higher rep schemes on smaller isolation movements after the primary movers have done their work, or even on compound movements AFTER the main movement of the day was completed.

There are 2 ways to initiate the maximal number of muscle fiber recruitment for a given muscle, the first is an explosive contraction and the second is by using maximal or near maximal weights. IMHO I'd rather activate as many muscle fibers as I can for a given muscle/muscle group during an exercise, which is why I like to train most of my movements at heavy resistance.

This is awesome! I think that when I finish this 6 week program I will try this next.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic