Latest Member
severedthumbz
What's New?

Building the perfect set for hypertrophy

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Ket, you are right all things are possible when we can truly put our minds to it. Shit I start a work out and say today I will stick with HIGH reps. I will not tire of counting. 3 or 4 sets in I find my self down to 8 to 10. Ugg.
Our friend above talking about 3 or 4 second negatives. Again I know how it would end up. I say this and I will be the first SOB to say I NEED CHANGE. I'm Mr. maintain. Not Mr. Growth. Ok I do enjoy some growth here and there.

The body needs change no matter what your goals , it is the premise of homeostasis / how we harness the body's tendency to adjust . High toes can also serve as an active sort of layoff to renew the body and the mind .
Plus we don't always need perfect form throughout each set. There is a moment when the cheating principle can extend a set to increase intensity. Or cheat up and fight it down is a very common and useful method to break staleness or progress. Not cheating from rep one , but after 8-10 strict , cheat to get extra. Shit forced Reps are essentially cheating

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Absolutely not. This scheme has a slow negative so it would be 10 reps in about 50 seconds. Still see what you mean about being explosive. Look at it this way... When your about to do a heavy dead, you know the weight is going to move slowly but your intention is still to lift it explosively. The intention should be there on each rep whether or not it happens.

I gotcha. Move it as fast as you possibly can during the concentric portion while keeping form.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
but this is where you're starting to use broken logic to justify your technique. Building sarcoplasmic hypertrophy is more about moving a certain amount of weight in a shorter period of time. This is why drop sets and super sets can greatly increase results. 3 min rest periods is a very long rest period of a BBer. Even 2 mins can be considered medium/long. Of course, it also depends on the intensity (from a resistance training definition, which I am always puzzled why I have to say that when we're speaking of resistance. Intensity = % of 1rm). The higher the intensity, the longer the rest periods.

Slow long sets have long been used. In bodybuilding in rehab in sports training. I'm power or compound movements you sometimes take even longer to rest , bodybuilding does have use for this. Especially building power and size. It's always been common knowledge .

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
I like it, except I would mix it up over time so not every workout is for hypertrophy. Some should be for lower reps at higher weights, like power lifting, and some should be with very high reps, such as 15, 20 or 30. I think if you mix it up, you won't need to take time off from the gym as often and you will make more progress in the long run.

Yes mixing it up even during a workout. I been doing this for 30 years. I've taken several seconds in some portion of workout to lower , I've even held contraction for 2-3 seconds , I've rested as long as six minutes doing heavy squats and deads , but doing like flyes laterals as little as 30 seconds , I've done drop sets on calf machine , drop on dumbell rack , mixed preexhaust super sets with straight sets in the same day. It's called variety and shocking the body , all serious bodybuilders and pros do it all the time . I don't see this as being unusual or odd. I even incorporate it in my lower back rehab that I still do 17 years post surgery. Like doing hypers and some ab exercises I hold contracting as long as 10 seconds top of movement . Very common practice , just cuz one is unfamiliar doesn't make it wrong , some just never learn everything or get stuck on doing same way over and over

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
This is the stuff I been preaching for past 15 years on the forums - every one so obsessed with gear type and cycle - varying training and studying , trying various methods is far more important and if you utilize chemical support , even more reason to get the most out if it. The body thrives on adjusting to everything .

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic