Threads
Members
Latest Member
jacobss

bodyweight benchpress, 29 reps

H

hungryh

May 14, 2011
got invited to a benchpress marathon where you bench your weight class for max reps (Ie, I am under 90kg, so I have to bench 90kg).

went to the gym to see what I could get and got 29 reps (I know I am not locking out but didnt realise till I saw the vid-will have to try again in a few days)

anyone ever competed before in such a comp?

here is my vid

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=782251888467571&saved

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Not bad but only the last few reps were full ROM. The rest your upper arms were barely above parallel to the floor.

I'm a fat bastard and it's a good day when I can rep my bodyweight for 5 or 6 reps. LOL.

H

hungryh

May 14, 2011
Not bad but only the last few reps were full ROM. The rest your upper arms were barely above parallel to the floor.

I'm a fat bastard and it's a good day when I can rep my bodyweight for 5 or 6 reps. LOL.

I know but I literally though I was locking out...dont know why, will try again in a few days when I am benching again

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
(I know I am not locking out but didnt realise till I saw the vid-will have to try again in a few days)

I think your lockout was fine. Its locked out enough to feel the full amount of the weight. Plus these types of reps preserve your elbows. You could have locked them out all the way and still gotten close to 29 reps. I think your set up was great.

Plus your elbows are tucked, so your ROM is less. So you aren't as far from being locked out as it looks.

Awesome work man !

I would love to be able to rep my body weight that many times !

H

hungryh

May 14, 2011
I think your lockout was fine. Its locked out enough to feel the full amount of the weight. Plus these types of reps preserve your elbows. You could have locked them out all the way and still gotten close to 29 reps. I think your set up was great.

Plus your elbows are tucked, so your ROM is less. So you aren't as far from being locked out as it looks.

Awesome work man !

I would love to be able to rep my body weight that many times !

haha if ya mentioned that on my facebook post would be great to have a bit of support lol,, Shane's telling me Im doing half reps lol

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Yeah you gotta lock out each rep for that to be legit. Not hating at all. But I have seen your other stuff. You have the ability to do it. Try it again in a couple weeks.

H

hungryh

May 14, 2011
Yeah you gotta lock out each rep for that to be legit. Not hating at all. But I have seen your other stuff. You have the ability to do it. Try it again in a couple weeks.

well I'll try again in 3 days I think haha, but properly, ie I'll actually go till failure and psyche myself out, and lockout fully :)

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
One thing you will notice about doing 'max reps' is it is really all about time. If you watch your vid, count the time it takes you to get to failure in seconds. You will most always fail right around that same time frame regardless of how you do them. (If you are more deliberate in your lockout, you will move slower and have less reps.). If you try to lockout at full speed, you are going to trash your elbows. It is not worth it and there is little value in doing something so damaging.

I stop just short of lockout as well when I play around with max reps. At those speeds it is the only way to not kill your elbows (I usually just use 225 and something I do every once in a great while for a fun de-load).

H

hungryh

May 14, 2011
One thing you will notice about doing 'max reps' is it is really all about time. If you watch your vid, count the time it takes you to get to failure in seconds. You will most always fail right around that same time frame regardless of how you do them. (If you are more deliberate in your lockout, you will move slower and have less reps.). If you try to lockout at full speed, you are going to trash your elbows. It is not worth it and there is little value in doing something so damaging.

I stop just short of lockout as well when I play around with max reps. At those speeds it is the only way to not kill your elbows (I usually just use 225 and something I do every once in a great while for a fun de-load).

great point.
is what you're saying to go as fast as I can then, ie squeeze in the maximum amount reps in the TIME it takes me to reach failure?

I have been told on the facebook post though that I am doing "half reps", so they won't be counted by Shane brodie who is the judge, unless I lockout every rep

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Lately I've only been locking out on my top set of bench. Which right now is for reps.

My warm up I just do mostly half reps.

My working sets I have been doing 1/2 - 3/4 reps.

It seems to work so far. It prepares me for my top set.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
great point.
is what you're saying to go as fast as I can then, ie squeeze in the maximum amount reps in the TIME it takes me to reach failure?

I have been told on the facebook post though that I am doing "half reps", so they won't be counted by Shane brodie who is the judge, unless I lockout every rep

To be truthful, your reps are pretty short. And, yes, it is all about maximizing bar speed (when you get over a certain amount of reps for failure)

Not sure who Shane guy is....but train as you like. I would not being locking out (hard) on a max reps contest. Too much wear and tear on the joints. The bragging rights are not worth it. All that really matters if you can lockout one. Let the guys who cant train to lift big, argue about max reps...etc and just do your thing. You seem to have a great foundation and well rounded strength. Dont get hurt doing something stupid. Not worth it.

H

hungryh

May 14, 2011
To be truthful, your reps are pretty short. And, yes, it is all about maximizing bar speed (when you get over a certain amount of reps for failure)

Not sure who Shane guy is....but train as you like. I would not being locking out (hard) on a max reps contest. Too much wear and tear on the joints. The bragging rights are not worth it. All that really matters if you can lockout one. Let the guys who cant train to lift big, argue about max reps...etc and just do your thing. You seem to have a great foundation and well rounded strength. Dont get hurt doing something stupid. Not worth it.

appreciate the advice and you're right, I will train without lockout out fully as I always do, but will try this again in a few days, locking out completely...just want to see what I can do and how I can compare to the lads from last years comp!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic