Members
Latest Member
BluueWater_Hunter
What's New?

Big Cat's First-time-training-himself-seriously-log :p

T

TonyB

Jul 10, 2012
Lots of detail here. I envy your wealth of knowledge as I am just starting to learn more about diet nutrition and training. You are an inspiration though with your background. Look forward to following you.

Jasthace

Jasthace

MuscleHead
May 29, 2011
BigCat Im really sorry to jump on this again. But I believe that the issue of fast digestability is just another parroted reasoning for the sales of whey.If you eat meat you have the benefit of slowly digested proteins in you all the time working for anabolism.You just keep eating meat and its in there.
Whey is to protein what sugar is to carbs.You wouldn't eat sugar as your main form of carbs..
How many of your athletes eat sugar precontest?...I better let you do your log now, Ill say no more.

Last edited:
Big Cat

Big Cat

RIP
Dec 11, 2011
BigCat Im really sorry to jump on this again. But I believe that the issue of fast digestability is just another parroted reasoning for the sales of whey.If you eat meat you have the benefit of slowly digested proteins in you all the time working for anabolism.You just keep eating meat and its in there.
Whey is to protein what sugar is to carbs.You wouldn't eat sugar as your main form of carbs..
How many of your athletes eat sugar precontest?...I better let you do your log now, Ill say no more.

The thing is, this is not helping me at all. If you came in and said "look, here's what I've come across in my research that says whey isn't good". But just blatantly saying what goes against two decades of peer-reviewed studies and experience (10 of them my own, working with top bodybuilders) is sort of like being the kid that closes his eyes when he sees something he doesn't like and saying "if I can't see it, it must not be true". I would love to have this debate with you, but you aren't basing it on any fact. Making any counterpoint sort of a lost cause ...

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
How's the lifting regimen going???

Big Cat

Big Cat

RIP
Dec 11, 2011
How's the lifting regimen going???

well week one is over. I'm having trouble recuperating and can't figure out why. The wife had trouble last week as well, so best guess is we haven't lived down our jetlag yet. But I ramped up calories at a fast pace throughout the week and it still didn't do the trick. Normally at what I'm eating now I should be gaining fat again, but I'm not, and I keep waking up at night with the sweats (keep in mind I'm training all natural right now, so the explanation isn't going in that direction :p). Despite that training is going really well. Had a week to establish a baseline now for what I'm lifting. Some figures encouraging, others not so much :p but really happy with the new found intensity level and very optimistic about the progress I feel I can make.

Time constraints make it hard to think of good ways to diversify my meals and keep my cals from dropping over the weekend. So far no problem, a little monotony is bearable the first few weeks, but going to need to think of easy things I can prepare fast to keep it up in the long haul. I really wanted to take in sweet potatoes as clean carbs, but those things are nigh impossible to get this side of the ocean. But I discovered a quaint little chines supermarket that has really cheap herbs and spices, the basis of all my cooking experiments :p

Hoping this first week after seeing where we stand will allow me to execute my entire programs with more efficiency. At least that's my aim for this week. The week after that I have off, and that'll be a good time to experiment with a few short extra trainings. On the diet front it will be a matter of seeing when (I hope its "when") I beat this unexplainable energy drain, and then settling on the proper amount of calories to gain without overeating.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
How old are you BC? Thinking about the recovery thing is why I ask. As you age you need to employ more of the recovery strategies. Ice baths, foam rolling, massage, growth hormone lol...

It would be temporary I suppose. Keep shoveling the food and eventually you'll be better conditioned to it I hope :)

Big Cat

Big Cat

RIP
Dec 11, 2011
How old are you BC? Thinking about the recovery thing is why I ask. As you age you need to employ more of the recovery strategies. Ice baths, foam rolling, massage, growth hormone lol...

It would be temporary I suppose. Keep shoveling the food and eventually you'll be better conditioned to it I hope :)

Well I turn 32 in August, however I don't think its the age :p I'm comparing this last week to 3-4 weeks before at the end of my diet. I was eating far less than and not having trouble recovering. So something else seems to be at work. Could be change of climate, not getting over my jetlag. At least I keep telling myself so I don't have to think about stuff like tape worm, malaria, tryposonomiasis and other shit I could have picked up in a tropical climate :p So hoping this week will see it improve further and I don't have to think about it anymore :p

SHINE

Friends Remembered
Oct 11, 2010
Well I turn 32 in August, however I don't think its the age :p I'm comparing this last week to 3-4 weeks before at the end of my diet. I was eating far less than and not having trouble recovering. So something else seems to be at work. Could be change of climate, not getting over my jetlag. At least I keep telling myself so I don't have to think about stuff like tape worm, malaria, tryposonomiasis and other shit I could have picked up in a tropical climate :p So hoping this week will see it improve further and I don't have to think about it anymore :p

Very well could be some type of nasty bug you caught from those nasty foreigners , wouldn't believe the cases of people catching those damn tape worms I've seen!

*joking* lol sure it's the JetLag !

Big Cat

Big Cat

RIP
Dec 11, 2011
I seem to be doing somewhat better. Tomorrow I get to sleep in, should see then if I recuperated completely not. Sweats have diminished and I get the faint idea the love handles are a bit more padded than last week, so I've definitely exceeded my needed calories. Still need to find more and better ways to keep up the diet, especially on days I don't work. The work really helps time my day and keep the discispline. This coming week I'm home though, so it'll be a tough task making sure I eat enough, and keep eating clean.

I'm really loving training again. This newfound vigor has me feeling this way for the first time in 5 years. The intensity has at least some muscles aching every single day and I had really forgotten it could be like this. The initial progress isn't bad either. I managed to increase my weight on most compounds. My leg press went from 80 kg to 120 kg, and I was still holding back because my right hamstrings felt off. I did calf raises on the leg press as well with 220 kg. There my knee was holding me back a little. I feel like I'm still not pushing what I could be pushing for either, and that means I should still have room for decent progress over the next 8 weeks. My dumbell curls are 24 kg but I ended with 26 kg for 4 reps, which brings us to the one embarrassing moment of the week, I couldn't break my 28 kg dumbell shoulder press, failing at 30 kg for 4 reps. A little ridiculous to push less for shoulders than you can curl, especially when you know my shoulders grow better than my bi's. Still have triceps and back to go this week.

i'm anxious to get a blog started. I feel like I could post something every other day. Not all serious articles of course, I haven't cranked one out in a month, but I keep thinking of a ton of loose comments based on stuff I read nearly every day. Along with some personal musings I think it could make for a decent blog. But I can't think of a good name for it ! :p Anybody have any ideas ? And suggestions on which blogsites are good, and which templates make for a decent, professional looking blog (possibly with examples ? topic doesn't matter, only lay-out, doesn't matter if its your blog about knitting sweaters for dogs)

Got some research SHINE sent my way this week that's helping me get a more definitive look on macronutrient timing. I feel there's definitely some room for a short article there.

SHINE

Friends Remembered
Oct 11, 2010
i'm anxious to get a blog started. I feel like I could post something every other day. Not all serious articles of course, I haven't cranked one out in a month, but I keep thinking of a ton of loose comments based on stuff I read nearly every day. Along with some personal musings I think it could make for a decent blog. But I can't think of a good name for it ! :p Anybody have any ideas ? And suggestions on which blogsites are good, and which templates make for a decent, professional looking blog (possibly with examples ? topic doesn't matter, only lay-out, doesn't matter if its your blog about knitting sweaters for dogs)

Got some research SHINE sent my way this week that's helping me get a more definitive look on macronutrient timing. I feel there's definitely some room for a short article there.

Definitely looking forward to your blog and more articles. :)

Big Cat

Big Cat

RIP
Dec 11, 2011
Had the greatest bicep workout ever today. Did some abs on top and finished within 40 minutes and broke a nice sweat :

Barbell curls 3 x 6-8 x 50kg (110 lbs)
Alternate Dumbell Curls 3x 6-8 x (2x26kg) (57 lbs)
Incline Curls 3x 8-10 x (2x14 kg) (31 lbs)
Cambered bar Curls 3x 8-10 x 23 kgs (50 lbs)

In between every exercise group (and sometimes between sets) I performed bicep ladders

finished with 6 sets of abs, 3 weighted (cable crunches) and 3 unweighted (leg raises)

And suddenly it seems so stupid that I wasted the better part of the last 5 years when I could have been training with this same intensity. Not the whole 5 years, my previous job didn't allow, but certainly part of it. Weighed in today at 100 kg (220 lbs), up from post-diet weight 1 month ago 94 kg (207 lbs) without notable fat gain. Slight bit of weight on the lower abs, but still clearly visible upper abs and actually seeing increase definition in arms. I'm guessing the actual muscle weight gained will be predominantly in the legs, who were largely inactive the last 8 months. My leg press is up from 80 kg (176 lbs) 4 weeks ago to 165 kg (363 lbs). had nagging pains in knees and hamstrings the past weeks, but this week was the first the legs seemd completely painfree and it was a good workout. Calves went up to 270 kg (594 lbs) for 18 reps. Wanted to go to 300 kg but simply could not budge the weight up to starting positions. positive I could have gone up to 350 kg, but we don't have a bear squat or anything like I used to have when my calves were my trophy muscle.

Only bad news seems to be that strength wise i'm still not getting anywhere with my shoulders and I can't figure out why. Will probably keep diet the same for a while, get the hang of all this clean eating and staying in rythm with all the routine until I get the hang of it. Growing, so cals are good, not gaining notable fat so if I can just finally cut and replace those last 300 cals from chocolate a day (average) that i'm eating, I'll be all good to go :p Now all I need to do is work up the motivation to get up 20 mins earlier and do half an hour of HIIT or ciruit work in the park before breakfast 3 days a week. Really dreading it.

Still eager to do the blog with a list of subjects to broach for short pieces all ready, but seemingly no time to figure out this blog thing to get it looking right before I start. Once its up and running should be easier to maintain. Still have no definitive name. Leaning towards Muscle and Sports Science (M.A.S.S.) but still very much open to suggestions. on possible subjects as well. Have a few to get started, want to post 4-5 things before I go public so that it doesn't look like just that one lonely post for my first visitors.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic