Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Big Cat's First-time-training-himself-seriously-log :p

Big Cat

Big Cat

RIP
Dec 11, 2011
I read my first bit on Blood-flow restriction training in a MD Magazine a couple of years ago. Wasn't it some Japanese guys who started it all?

As long as it's for a short time,Low-intensity and Careful... I guess it can't hurt. Just don't now the long term effects on the blood vessles and other tissues.

Strength training with blood flow restr... [Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Blood-Flow Resistance Training | Swim Sci

yes, it was originally japanese scientists who first researched it. In the mean time actually, its fairly well established and demonstrated to be fairly safe (Clark et al, 2011 & Loenneke et al, 2011). The idea is indeed to practice it for a short period, especially with higher intensities, because part of its efficacy is in increasing transient (being the keyword) hypoxia to stimulate muscle sympathetic nerve activity and angiogenic response (so to some extent you WANT and effect on the blood vessels). Although Loenneke et al (2012) also demonstrated that muscle swelling may play a key role in its effect as well.

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
yes, it was originally japanese scientists who first researched it. In the mean time actually, its fairly well established and demonstrated to be fairly safe (Clark et al, 2011 & Loenneke et al, 2011). The idea is indeed to practice it for a short period, especially with higher intensities, because part of its efficacy is in increasing transient (being the keyword) hypoxia to stimulate muscle sympathetic nerve activity and angiogenic response (so to some extent you WANT and effect on the blood vessels). Although Loenneke et al (2012) also demonstrated that muscle swelling may play a key role in its effect as well.

Have any good links. I might give them a try and work this into my routine.

Big Cat

Big Cat

RIP
Dec 11, 2011
k, blog still needs a ton of work, but I made the first post, so I guess its open for review :

Muscle and Sport Science (M.A.S.S.)

Let me know what you guys think. Once I get it fully updated with all information, maybe a nice banner or something, and some more posts (with this one out of the way it should be easier now to make small informative posts). Then when that's done, all that's left is getting enough readers to make it worth the while.

Thinking of adding a facebook group to go with it.

SHINE

Friends Remembered
Oct 11, 2010
k, blog still needs a ton of work, but I made the first post, so I guess its open for review :

Muscle and Sport Science (M.A.S.S.)

Let me know what you guys think. Once I get it fully updated with all information, maybe a nice banner or something, and some more posts (with this one out of the way it should be easier now to make small informative posts). Then when that's done, all that's left is getting enough readers to make it worth the while.

Thinking of adding a facebook group to go with it.

Nice, good info with the AMPk.

Big Cat

Big Cat

RIP
Dec 11, 2011
Updates. As was to be expected i've let the log slide a bit and can't seem to finish the second post of the blog I nearly finished over a month ago. As usual life gets in the way, a new software program at work has me just about ready to kill someone, but i'm also very glad to say that at least partially the reason for my prolonged absence has been that I'm just too fatigued after getting back from the gym. Also, while i haven't been able to put coherent sentences to paper, the incredible fatigue and the need to escape the horrid times at work have led me to read a ton more research than I've been able to read in the preceding months. I print studies at work, read them over lunch, on the way home, the way to the gym and afterwards when my legs give out.

It's been nearly three months now since I dedicated myself to training myself seriously after my last diet left me at 93.5 Kg (206 lbs) but not nearly as cut as i would have liked to have been, early July. I'm fairly proud to announce that since then my weight has increased a full 10 kg (22 lbs) to 103.5 (228 lbs) sober on the scale this morning, with minimal fat gain. Keep in mind I'm doing this all natural and am still dealing with low test since coming off in January. I feel I still haven't reached my peak potential as i'm still tweaking my diet and training an almost daily basis.

My understanding of muscle physiology has widened immensely this last month. Some of the latest research has turned stuff we thought to be true for years upside down. Stuff like the fact that slow twitch fibers who barely grow at all have a higher protein synthetic rate, protein turnover rate and higher myonuclear density that large Type II fibers. Stuff like the fact that more damage equals more muscle (turns out more damage is done with endurance exercise, and that more damage equals more calcium signaling, which in turn increases turnover and fast-to-slow fiber type switching). Stuff like the fact that you need sattelite cells to grow more muscle (several models of maximal hypertrophy, including myostatin deletion and synergist ablation, show no increase in myonuclear number) and even the fact that more calories are a prerequisite for growth under the right circumstances (again, those same models were only paired with a modest increase in food intake). Turns out that however difficult it is to manipulate muscle growth and attain it in real life, the factors governing hypêrtrophy are relatively simple. It would seem to be as easy as taking the brakes off to attain the ideal physique (despite increased adipogenic signalling, models of maximal hypertrophy have less fat because the muscle eats up all the nutrients).

In terms of what can be applied in the real world it again goes back to reducing AMPK signaling in the hours around training time, optimal zinc and Vitamin D status etc, and then a few things that are still in theoretical stages (meaning i see possible links, but no actual direct evidence to support it yet)

I'm looking into a few commercial things, and wondering if any of you have had experience with them ? The first is Fat Gripz. I don't buy the sales pitch, but changing small things about form in various exercises from time to time does work miralces for continuous growth and I do believe these things can provide that to some extent. The other is Hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate (HDP), currently mostly talked about is Waxy Maize HDP or WM-HDP, but I believe Tapioca and potato HDP's will yield similar benefits (I believe its currently marketed only under a few brands, one being thermicarb ?). It's commercially not available in Europe but its also used as a food additive (E1442) and i may be able to get my hands on some via work at a very cheap price (10 bucks per kg). The idea behind it is that its largely indigestible by your own body but will be digested in the lower intestines by intestinal flora and then enter the blood stream as short chain fatty acids. This keeps insulin and incretins low, allows the SCFA's to replenish glucose in liver and muscle via gluconeogenisis while bypassing adipose tissue stimulation and increasing resting energy expenditure. Was wondering if anyone had any experiences. Even on paper i'm still wrestling with the best way to use it because of possible ramifications on slower uptake of other nutrients.

Last edited:
GetXXL

GetXXL

Oct 3, 2012
Great to see you have a log, stumbled upon it whilst Googling for some information about leucine concerning timing.

I really like your openingspost on your blog, starting out with some molecular biology is a good thing. Most people on bodybuild boards have this vague idea about how stuff works under the hood, just diving into the deep reading their pubmed articles. This will really help those to clear up their blurry vision about how it works on such a scale.

You'd might consider adding some more pictures to it to make things even more clearer? E.g. showing a picture of ATP synthase so they know how complex but elegant these folded proteins can become, but also pictures showing how things work when their ligand binds and conformational changes occur, starting the cascade of reactions.

Looking forward to your next writing.

PS. just yell if you're struggling with your blog software, I'm a web developer.

Big Cat

Big Cat

RIP
Dec 11, 2011
Great to see you have a log, stumbled upon it whilst Googling for some information about leucine concerning timing.

I really like your openingspost on your blog, starting out with some molecular biology is a good thing. Most people on bodybuild boards have this vague idea about how stuff works under the hood, just diving into the deep reading their pubmed articles. This will really help those to clear up their blurry vision about how it works on such a scale.

You'd might consider adding some more pictures to it to make things even more clearer? E.g. showing a picture of ATP synthase so they know how complex but elegant these folded proteins can become, but also pictures showing how things work when their ligand binds and conformational changes occur, starting the cascade of reactions.

Looking forward to your next writing.

PS. just yell if you're struggling with your blog software, I'm a web developer.

Am I yelling loud enough :p ? Sounds like you have a good idea of where I want to go with this, and I honestly have no clue about this stuff, like making the graphs like in the studies and how to incorporate that crap into blogs.

So if that seems like something interesting to you, shoot me a PM. In return I'd be more than happy to help you with your leucine and other biochem quests. I daresay there isn't a whole lot I DON'T know about leucine in muscle hypertrophy :p In fact its largely covered in the next post that I just can't seem to finish :p In short, if its any help :

1. Leucine alone or BCAA's alone are fairly pointless. Dosing up to 7.5g of leucine failed to effectively increase protein synthesis. That's because leucine is an anabolic trigger. Like a trigger on a gun it will make the machinery work, but without bullets what's the point ? So you should be getting your leucine primarily from quality proteins, in the neighbourhood of 3-4g per sitting, that's about what you'd get from 25-30g of whey.

2.In regards to timing, earlier research by Tipton et al. using 10g of Essential amino acids, freeform, seemed to indicate higher protein synthesis when given before rather than 1h after the training, they postulated because the amino acids for protein synthesis would be present as soon as protein synthesis from exercise kicked in. I personally think a lot of it had to do with the fact that training in a fed state is very important in regards to lowering AMPKalpha1 response, which sort of takes the breaks off the mTOR machinery. Tipton however repeated the experiment with intact proteins, and failed to demonstrate a difference. So unless you are willing to waste a fortune on taking a good 15g of freeform EAA every day, in practice, it really doesn't matter. As my next blogpost would show, its just overall fairly crucial to use both windows before and after training to get in quality protein.

GetXXL

GetXXL

Oct 3, 2012
I can't send pm's on this forum yet, I've mailed you.

Thanks for the quick 'review' on leucine. :)

Big Cat

Big Cat

RIP
Dec 11, 2011
Well after 3 months of dilligent work, GetXXL and myself managed to transform my dinky idea for a blog into a full blown website. I can't thank getXXL for his efforts enough, he turned my crappy blog into a real project and keeps inspiring me to keep going, where I would have probably given up on the blog after a month. We're both very excited about what we have so far, but we'll need some help getting the word out there so we can get a ton of feedback to complete our mission : to turn the website into a veritable encyclopaedia of science-based physique and performance enhancement. The pieces on the site take some time to research and compile, so there won't be new pieces every day or even every week, but will have a blog that will be updated frequently (at least once a week, hopefully more) and a sponsored recipes page for my new hobby, protein and HDP cooking :p I kid you not, I'm 4 weeks out of the end of my diet and I'm eating cheesecake and chocolate truffles :p

The site is non-commercial, its free and it will remain free. But we need a community to give us a LOT of feedback, so if you guys can get the word out there, I would REALLY appreciate it. We have a facebook group to go with the site, for those interested, where you will be kept apprised of the latest developments and tidbits, and where we will also share small bits and pieces that don't make it to the site. You can link to it at the bottom of the page. The website is at :

http://www.muscleandsportsscience.com/

tilltheend

tilltheend

MuscleHead
Nov 22, 2011
Thank you BC your website won't load though? I am interested in looking at it.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic