Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Joannafit
What's New?

Bicep tendinitis Related to shoulder pain?

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
I had my right shoulder scoped in 2008 to clean up some frayed tendons, take out some arthritis and scrape down the clavicle a little to reduce impingement if there is an irritation. Same thing the 3 tiny incisions. I had the surgery the day before the Thanksgiving holiday, never actually went on any painkillers and just relied on the circulating ice machine they gave me to reduce swelling. I started PT that following Monday to start increasing ROM again. Did that for a month and was back in the gym lifting. I had pretty much full ROM by 2-3 weeks and then worked my way up from the 1 lb weights. It healed beautifully and I competed at 2 national shows the summer of 2009.

The only issue I had was in Oct 2010, a week before another show I was doing 30 lb Arnold presses and was just too depleted to be lifting that heavy and sorta screwed it up again. Its been achy / gets tired much faster these days. I haven't gone in for another MRI but get regular work on my upper back w/ my chiro / LMT.

tightglutes

tightglutes

TID VIP Lady Member
May 1, 2012
I had my right shoulder scoped in 2008 to clean up some frayed tendons, take out some arthritis and scrape down the clavicle a little to reduce impingement if there is an irritation. Same thing the 3 tiny incisions. I had the surgery the day before the Thanksgiving holiday, never actually went on any painkillers and just relied on the circulating ice machine they gave me to reduce swelling. I started PT that following Monday to start increasing ROM again. Did that for a month and was back in the gym lifting. I had pretty much full ROM by 2-3 weeks and then worked my way up from the 1 lb weights. It healed beautifully and I competed at 2 national shows the summer of 2009.

The only issue I had was in Oct 2010, a week before another show I was doing 30 lb Arnold presses and was just too depleted to be lifting that heavy and sorta screwed it up again. Its been achy / gets tired much faster these days. I haven't gone in for another MRI but get regular work on my upper back w/ my chiro / LMT.

I think i will deal with it till after my shows in August then i will get it scoped

F

Fury

MuscleHead
Jun 6, 2012
That's the worst thing about lifting has to be the injuries.

tightglutes

tightglutes

TID VIP Lady Member
May 1, 2012
That's the worst thing about lifting has to be the injuries.
yes even more so when you compete. I think injury's and injury prevention is the hardest thing about contest prep.

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
Can also effect the pec major.

My bicep tendon is torn completely off my shoulder and I tore it more in a meet benching and it effected my pec major and shoulder.

tightglutes

tightglutes

TID VIP Lady Member
May 1, 2012
I feel it in my pec major 2. Hummm the steroid shots don't work. Not sure how to handle this. its in both shoulders/ biceps

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
some people don't believe in it but try KT tape. they have one for your bicep and it help me greatly when doing biceps. i also ice shoulders after workout and bio freeze before the workout. did you try to get a ultrasound injection (cortisone) for your tendon. works for people. only lasted 3 weeks for me.

Watch out for cortisone shots. It does more harm than good. It weakens the area and masks the issue. It doesn't fix it.

tightglutes

tightglutes

TID VIP Lady Member
May 1, 2012
Watch out for cortisone shots. It does more harm than good. It weakens the area and masks the issue. It doesn't fix it.

If he gets 1 or 2 shots it will not harm him. It might take the pain away forever. That does happen to some people. They get it and it never bothers them again. If you keep getting them to the same spot 3 times a year every year then yes it will weaken the tendon also can do kidney damage. With me my shots only last 3 weeks so its not worth it. i also get something called a cortisone flare. Pain is 10 x worse after the shot for the next few days. So if u get it and you have BAD pain don't worry it will go away. you will have it for 3 days or so and then it will just disappear. :)

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
I am one if the lucky ones that have had a shot and it calms it down. Over a year on my knee so far. I have had them in my feet as well. I get the flare as well and I'm allergic to the numbing agent do a case of hives is expected as well. However it's worth it. The last shot was without the numbing agent and holy batshit !!!!!

T

tparker

Dec 9, 2013
I currently have bicep tendinitis with shoulder paint in my left arm. I am wondering if there is a way to get rid of it without a cortisone shot. I have been told to take it easy for at least a month and it will calm down, as well as to take ibuprofen and ice it regularly.

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
Mine is most painful when/after benching. Overhead doesn't bother it nearly as much. I know the best thing to do is stop benching for awhile but that's hard to do. I'm going to get a Swiss bar and see if it helps

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
The MAJOR problem in the diagnosis of BT is it oftentimes confused with Shoulder Impingement Syndrome and vice versa. Suffice it to say, MOST patients with BT are older OR have a history of "throwers" in sports. Even injecting the involved area can create confusion because the BT lies in the Sub-Acromial Bursa, the predominant region involved in those with Impingement Syndrome.

So what doe this mean? Although injections, NSAIDS, MRI, Sono may aid in the treatments and diagnosis respectively of BT they do NOT treat the MECHANICAL CAUSATION. The latter may only be addressed with surgery, which is often not only diagnostic BUT therapeutic!

Jim

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic