Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Behind the head ohp

Bonehard

Bonehard

Sep 14, 2013
Good stuff..I used to do behind the neck for years in my early days...at peak I would go to 315 and do reps of 8-12 on a strong day and 6-8 on lighter days..it did not bother me for years..mobility was there as well..I stopped when I tore my peck flat bench pressing, which btw uses more shoulder tri and back than chest and was much harder on my shoulders than BNP...and did more damage to my rotator cuff as well..in the beginning of my bb endeavor I did a lot of improper form on bench and suffered for it...I don't do either one now unless it's on the smith machine...and I can't even hold the bar behind my neck anymore anyway...bottom line is that anything done improperly or beyond ones strength limits won't have much benefit to it and will most likely result in long term injury or permanent damage. The key to muscle hypertrophy is maximum fiber recruitment and total muscle exhaustion with resistance training ...along with many other factors that occur outside the gym and lifting weights..ie. food, sleep, recovery, & aas. I get more benefit and greater shoulder development with lateral excersise so from all positions...and I now possess cantaloupes for shoulders ...it's cool cuz I can just munch on em when my blood sugar gets low. Laterals, laterals, laterals, best for fuller development..of course non of what I am saying really pertains to powerlifting..that's a whole different animal.

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
To the front, mainly with a barbell. Usually seated, occasionally standing.

When doing seated, I either use a military press station that allows me to sit back a bit at a slight angle, or I will use an adjustable bench set at a slight angle in the power rack if need be. I don't like those military press stations or benches that are 100% upright at a perfect 90 degree angle from the floor - I find that awkward and uncomfortable in a bad way on my neck and shoulders.

I also do a few sets with dumbbells and maybe a couple of sets of seated Bodymasters machine presses here and there in addition to barbell presses.

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
Good stuff..I used to do behind the neck for years in my early days...at peak I would go to 315 and do reps of 8-12 on a strong day and 6-8 on lighter days..it did not bother me for years..mobility was there as well..I stopped when I tore my peck flat bench pressing, which btw uses more shoulder tri and back than chest and was much harder on my shoulders than BNP...and did more damage to my rotator cuff as well..in the beginning of my bb endeavor I did a lot of improper form on bench and suffered for it...I don't do either one now unless it's on the smith machine...and I can't even hold the bar behind my neck anymore anyway...bottom line is that anything done improperly or beyond ones strength limits won't have much benefit to it and will most likely result in long term injury or permanent damage. The key to muscle hypertrophy is maximum fiber recruitment and total muscle exhaustion with resistance training ...along with many other factors that occur outside the gym and lifting weights..ie. food, sleep, recovery, & aas. I get more benefit and greater shoulder development with lateral excersise so from all positions...and I now possess cantaloupes for shoulders ...it's cool cuz I can just munch on em when my blood sugar gets low. Laterals, laterals, laterals, best for fuller development..of course non of what I am saying really pertains to powerlifting..that's a whole different animal.

Behind the neck for reps with 315? Good god, u sir are a animal.

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
I do Seated Back OHP on shoulder days every week... I have no problems with my shoulders or back... Form is the key. I also only go to parallel with my elbows (maybe a little lower)... lower than that you can strain your rotary cups and dislocate your shoulders... maybe that's where these injuries are coming from??? When I go heavy I use the smith machine... I usually end heavy days with 255-265 x 5.... light days I end with 225 x 10... I find they are great for a strong back and traps. schultz1 was there when they were invented... so he knows all about antiques...

S

storman230

Jan 7, 2012
That movement cause me a lot of grief for a lot of years. But as already stated my mobility was not great so i really had no buisness doing them in the first place. Now my mobility is so bad that i couldnt grab a bar to do a back squat if you paid me and i have to put my belt on my pants before i put them on lol

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
I do Seated Back OHP on shoulder days every week... I have no problems with my shoulders or back... Form is the key. I also only go to parallel with my elbows (maybe a little lower)... lower than that you can strain your rotary cups and dislocate your shoulders... maybe that's where these injuries are coming from??? When I go heavy I use the smith machine... I usually end heavy days with 255-265 x 5.... light days I end with 225 x 10... I find they are great for a strong back and traps. schultz1 was there when they were invented... so he knows all about antiques...

You are a total beast!! I knew it!!! IronCore

Grumpyfit

Grumpyfit

MuscleHead
Jun 7, 2012
When I first began to lift at the age of around 14, those that I looked up to for advise, and you know how some things just stick like glue, stated that wide grip behind the neck press made you grow wide shoulders. I did those like clock work. The main staple for shoulders. Never had a problem. It's been a few moons since then and I mainly do DB work for the delts now.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
When I first began to lift at the age of around 14, those that I looked up to for advise, and you know how some things just stick like glue, stated that wide grip behind the neck press made you grow wide shoulders. I did those like clock work. The main staple for shoulders. Never had a problem. It's been a few moons since then and I mainly do DB work for the delts now.

Thanks Grumpyfit! Appreciate the response brother!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic