Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Behind the head ohp

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
Bull, what is your purpose or goal for this movement bro, is it for growth or u just looking to try it? I know your workouts and what you are typically shooting for. I would say there are other ways to build your shoulders than this awkward movement. My 2 cc's

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
I've done them my whole life.

I do them seated and bar behind my head. They don't bother my shoulders at all.

Traditional flat bench kills my shoulders, though.

So if you like them and they don't hurt, go ahead.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Takeaway here is it may depend on the individual. I always had trouble with strictness in OHP-in-front, varying degrees of backbend whether BB or db or machine. No matter how much I tried to connect my mind to the movement, I always wound up with modified incline presses. BTNPrs takes care of that, just naturally forces you to remain 100% erect so you don't fall over lol. As with anything else, it may or may not be right for everyone. The word "pump" hardly ever is in my vocabulary, but used to get great "collateral benefit" arm pumps from supersetting BB BtnPrs w/ BB Up Rows.

Bull, if you're digging the guy in the video, he is ALL OVER youtube, lotsa inspiration from his vids.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
Bull I would suggest you avoid this. It will absolutely wreck your shoulders and for what? A proper overhead press to full lockout is plenty effective.

Thank you POB.

I asked because in my workout tonight is an exercise called an "over and back press"
You go back and forth with front and back press. It has only appeared once before. The brother I work out with doesn't like anything behind the neck.

So I appreciate your help with this.

I don't to behind the neck normally.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
This is the Bradford Press Brother Iron referred to, named after Jim Bradford, an American superhwt OL who came along after Paul Anderson owned the Russians and the Russians were beginning to own us. Silver medal in Rome, 1960 Olympics.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
This thread made my shoulders hurt. I was never comfortable doing these either sitting or standing. Could be not enough pre work to get warmed up as CTJ is suggesting.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
I will be back to respond to these because I appreciate the great feedback here.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Specifically with the Bradford Press, when I first read about it I was fascinated, BUT the logic of it eluded me, I mean do them in front, or do them in back, wtf with this hybrid thingie? Just guessing, but maybe it appeals to a shotgun approach way of thinking, like if you do these you're hitting every damn thing you can hit, you'll be medalling in the Olympics before you know it? It could also pose a threat from either or both angles, or from the transmission from front > back, etc, etc? Another thing I'm not sure of is did big Jim press all the way up, or just far enough to clear his head before switching gears? Back in the day there was no Internet providing give and take discussion, just magazine articles. I'll be interested to hear what your coach's reasoning is on all this.

DaSarge

DaSarge

VIP Member
Nov 20, 2014
Grew up doing seated BNP's; everybody in the gym did them. Most of the guy's were BB competitor's and I never saw anyone get injured doing them. In fact, I saw Bill Pearl do reps. with 220 when he was in his late 50's; made my jaw drop. The guy was a beast...:)...

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Grew up doing seated BNP's; everybody in the gym did them. Most of the guy's were BB competitor's and I never saw anyone get injured doing them. In fact, I saw Bill Pearl do reps. with 220 when he was in his late 50's; made my jaw drop. The guy was a beast...:)...

My own personal fav. Others came along later who were bigger and more shredded, but just before Arnold, Pearl and Reg Park ruled the world from opposite sides of the Atlantic. Park did eventually hook up with Weider a little late in his career if I remember, but Pearl never did, maybe the last holdout to the Weider empire. One of the best single yrs of my life was a one yr membership to his gym not all that long after he called out everyone for his last contest. He beat Park, Sergio and Zane, Weider held Arnold out for contractural reasons. Pearl's little handful of 20-something training partners told me how his 40-something yo ass would wear them out in workouts, routinely doing 60 or so sets in that many minutes.

DaSarge

DaSarge

VIP Member
Nov 20, 2014
My own personal fav. Others came along later who were bigger and more shredded, but just before Arnold, Pearl and Reg Park ruled the world from opposite sides of the Atlantic. Park did eventually hook up with Weider a little late in his career if I remember, but Pearl never did, maybe the last holdout to the Weider empire. One of the best single yrs of my life was a one yr membership to his gym not all that long after he called out everyone for his last contest. He beat Park, Sergio and Zane, Weider held Arnold out for contractural reasons. Pearl's little handful of 20-something training partners told me how his 40-something yo ass would wear them out in workouts, routinely doing 60 or so sets in that many minutes.

Yeah, seems all those guys of that era were into doing "supersets" (for lack of a better term)...My mentor pretty much always "suppersetted", or did some type of ab. or calf exercise between every set...He was non-stop movement in the gym...I didn't meet Bill until he had already retired and moved back to Oregon...He would occasionally come back to Sacramento and hang out with his old workout buddies from the 1950's...Al Souza, Don Farnsworth, etc...

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
If you're dead set on performing them be sure to perform shoulder prehab/mobility work at least 4x week. It's also easier to do with a wider grip as it puts less stress on the shoulder.

If you're going to do them be sure to go light. You can also perform Bradford Presses. If you go heavy on behind the neck pressing movements you run the risk of shoulder injury.

Hi BrotherIron. Thank you for the help. I googled the Bradford Press and that was infact what I have done before in this workout and what was called for tonight. As in the video I watched we have only used the bar with no weight as I recall.

I appreciate you advice brother!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic