Jun 11, 2014
I wish Klokov was my friend!
attachment.php

This is incredible!!!

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
Bull, what is your purpose or goal for this movement bro, is it for growth or u just looking to try it? I know your workouts and what you are typically shooting for. I would say there are other ways to build your shoulders than this awkward movement. My 2 cc's

Hi Raiden. Thanks for asking.

Its a prescribed exercise in the workout. I didn't create the workout...its given to me and I do what it says.

The goal of the workout is in fact to get me bigger.

My workout partner just doesn't like anything behind the neck. he's been lifting a long time and has good experience and is a physical therapist.

Appreciate you brother!!!

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
I've done them my whole life.

I do them seated and bar behind my head. They don't bother my shoulders at all.

Traditional flat bench kills my shoulders, though.

So if you like them and they don't hurt, go ahead.

Thanks Flex...apreciate your experience! I know all the things we do have risks. Its just I have heard so many bad things about this I wanted to see what the thoughts were here.

Appreciate you brother!

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
Takeaway here is it may depend on the individual. I always had trouble with strictness in OHP-in-front, varying degrees of backbend whether BB or db or machine. No matter how much I tried to connect my mind to the movement, I always wound up with modified incline presses. BTNPrs takes care of that, just naturally forces you to remain 100% erect so you don't fall over lol. As with anything else, it may or may not be right for everyone. The word "pump" hardly ever is in my vocabulary, but used to get great "collateral benefit" arm pumps from supersetting BB BtnPrs w/ BB Up Rows.

Bull, if you're digging the guy in the video, he is ALL OVER youtube, lotsa inspiration from his vids.

Hi rawdeal! Thanks for helping. I like hearing about your experience.

Yea...I did like him...he's incredible but those movements look scary...like I'd get smashed trying to do that scary.

Appreciate you brother!

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
This thread made my shoulders hurt. I was never comfortable doing these either sitting or standing. Could be not enough pre work to get warmed up as CTJ is suggesting.

Thanks LK. Appreciate your post.

Hopefully my shoulders will stay safe from the good help here.

Thanks brother. You are appreciated.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
I would probably agree with POB about the position it puts your shoulders in but I suppose like others have said with mobility work and stretching it's possible. Just have to remember, most of these Eastern Block lifters have been doing Oly lifts all their lives.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
Specifically with the Bradford Press, when I first read about it I was fascinated, BUT the logic of it eluded me, I mean do them in front, or do them in back, wtf with this hybrid thingie? Just guessing, but maybe it appeals to a shotgun approach way of thinking, like if you do these you're hitting every damn thing you can hit, you'll be medalling in the Olympics before you know it? It could also pose a threat from either or both angles, or from the transmission from front > back, etc, etc? Another thing I'm not sure of is did big Jim press all the way up, or just far enough to clear his head before switching gears? Back in the day there was no Internet providing give and take discussion, just magazine articles. I'll be interested to hear what your coach's reasoning is on all this.

Stay tuned. I will ask him.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
Grew up doing seated BNP's; everybody in the gym did them. Most of the guy's were BB competitor's and I never saw anyone get injured doing them. In fact, I saw Bill Pearl do reps. with 220 when he was in his late 50's; made my jaw drop. The guy was a beast...:)...

Thanks DeSarge!! Bill Pearl...what a great bodybuilder!! I appreciate your post brother!

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
Yeah, seems all those guys of that era were into doing "supersets" (for lack of a better term)...My mentor pretty much always "suppersetted", or did some type of ab. or calf exercise between every set...He was non-stop movement in the gym...I didn't meet Bill until he had already retired and moved back to Oregon...He would occasionally come back to Sacramento and hang out with his old workout buddies from the 1950's...Al Souza, Don Farnsworth, etc...

Wow... you met him? Thats incredible brother!

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
I would probably agree with POB about the position it puts your shoulders in but I suppose like others have said with mobility work and stretching it's possible. Just have to remember, most of these Eastern Block lifters have been doing Oly lifts all their lives.

Thats true hawk!! I appreciate you helping here brother!

Placebro

Placebro

Nov 3, 2014
I originally did all my standing OHP from behind the back and eventually discontinued it when I wanted to increase the weight on them, so when doing them I always do them from the front. However with backoff sets I do Klokov Presses with light weight not going over 100-115 lbs, and for high reps, just doing the bar on klokovs for 30-50 reps will fry you. It takes some getting used to and cause some discomofort while doing them but youll get used to it. I also would do Bradford Presses for high reps and low weight around 135

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic