Members
Latest Member
arcticranger
What's New?

BARBELL FLAT BENCH

M

mgid006

Oct 10, 2012
I have almost given up on barbell flat bench due to shoulder pain. I am 47, and checked my form first. Incline dumb bells are no problem . I feel my chest work out is lacking. Any advice is welcome, thank you in advance.

Basic chest work out is 5 sets of inclines, cable or dumb bell flies, and dips.

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
I have almost given up on barbell flat bench due to shoulder pain. I am 47, and checked my form first. Incline dumb bells are no problem . I feel my chest work out is lacking. Any advice is welcome, thank you in advance.

Basic chest work out is 5 sets of inclines, cable or dumb bell flies, and dips.

If you can do inclines, flyers and dips without pain but not flat presses, I'm guessing that it has more to do with your form than an injury. I used to get pain in what I thought was my anterior delt or bicep insertion, but turned out to be tight pecs.

Big B

Big B

Mar 28, 2017
For me, barbell flat is a no no. I had same issue. Ever since I dropped it out of my routine, no shoulder issue at all. Dumbbells presses or flyes on flat bench, no issue. Barbell incline and decline, no issue.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
cannot figure all this out, unless it's just the "groove" thru which the weight is traveling, or else the different descent speed and ascent explosiveness a trainee uses on otherwise similar exercises?

Gms585

Gms585

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2017
I have similar issues. If I go heavy on flat bb my left shoulder hurts at the joint. It turns out it's my bicep tendon. Without getting into trying to diagnose you I'll tell you what motions don't hurt for me...

Flat db press
Inc db press
Hamer Inc press
Pec deck
Seated machine flys
Standing cable flys

For me weighted dips hurt too. Body weight not so much.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Are you pulling the bar apart, trying to break it, benching with an arch, etc.... Bbing style bench press is terrible on the shoulders. Gotta learn how to bench properly.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Get Donnie Thompsons bowtie from spud inc.

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
I'm with you, but I keep getting muscle strain. Hurt my shoulder yet again on Monday and need to take time off all pushes, yet again. I don't know how many times this is now in the last 6+ years of lifting. I'm going to be looking for some coaching locally for all my power lifts. Call me illiterate but reading Rippetoe's books just isn't teaching me.

parttimer

parttimer

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2011
I switched to db's like many others that have gotten older. Flat bench at 300 and my shoulder is DONE for days. I ended up with weight lifters shoulder, had one ground out 2 years ago. This year the other us up for grinding along with a rotator tear repair.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Try reverse grip flat bench. I doubt you'll have any shoulder issues with them. I've been benching that way exclusively for a couple years.

M

mgid006

Oct 10, 2012
Thank you for all the input. I did try the sling shot and it helped. Benching 315 with improper form is probably how this all started. I will lay off for awhile and go lighter .

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
I switched to reverse grip and have no issues anymore. Unless you are a PL'er I see no need for Traditional Flat Bench Press as there are many more effective pressing movements for chest size and shape.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic