Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

BARBELL FLAT BENCH

A

andz327

VIP Member
Mar 5, 2013
Stop guessing mate get it checked out properly, or at very l least learn how to warm up your rotator cuffs

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
YUP. bottom line is there are TWO kinds of "shoulder trouble," SOFT tissue, and BONE. Whichever it is, or in which combination, depends on age, training style, genetics, and any other variables you care to suggest.

Cartilage is like Tires, no matter what you choose, and how you treat it, it WILL wear out, mileage-dependant.

Find a GOOD doc, an Ortho and not a "family practice." Depending on your ability to access, go a step further and find an Ortho who is the "team doctor" for a Pro or major College in your area.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
It really depends on the type of shoulder injury(ies) that you're dealing with. For me, I flare my elbows out and take a medium/wide grip. Oddly enough, it hurts less than elbows tucked.

That being said, if you watch me bench, the weight I use is not heavy at all, I use full ROM, and my tempo is something like 3/2. The best thing I ever did for my bench and shoulders was increasing my shoulder and chest flexibility. In fact, not only did that help my bench, but it helped all my pressing. I can bet that the two biggest reasons for bench injuries is too much weigh and/or should flexibility, which effects your form.

Now, let's say if my shoulders were giving me trouble a particular day, there is a seated chest press machine that seems to be easier on my shoulders too. Years ago I had asked Shelby Starnes if he thought using the machine was going to hinder my progress, and his reply was blunt; if you're able to push yourself, pain free, then you're NOT hindering your progress than if you tried to go super light and use half reps on BB bench.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
I gave up on flat barbell bench years ago. Bad shoulders just kept me from it. At almost 41 I'm way past ego lifting (pretty much all flat bar bench is good for anyway) These days its flat dumbbell bench, incline on the hammer bench and machine flys. Pushups to finish.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic