Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Back surgery mix?

Glycomann

Glycomann

VIP Member
Jan 19, 2011
I had issues over the years that always healed up but around 53-54 it got bad. I could not squat at all. Had to give up everything that loaded the spine. Degeneration from L3-S1. I did 2 different rehabs to no positive effect. then I decided I would do either tai chi or yoga. Ended up doing yoga for 8 months and cutting back on weights to 2-3 days a week. It helped tremendously but I did lose a lot of muscle in the process. Now it's about 6-7 years later and I don't really do a lot of spinal loading and when I do it is for a short period. Mostly squats are very light weight. Every time I try to go above 225 I have troubles so I stay lower with high reps. That's a far cry from double that for set of 8-10. I haven't done rack pulls or deads since summer. Maybe I will sneak them in again in a few months. I shold probably go the yoga for a 6 week stint. I think it actually restores the joints somewhat. Probably the worst thing we can do at this kind of point is try to lift heav again. That would speed the degeneration. At this point in life it's about preserving strength and function. Adding those hip thruster things helps. Hypers help. Stretching helps.

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
I've had about 14 of them in 5 years.

They work. Especially if you do it once, and come back in 2 weeks for round 2. 3-6 months max relief. But pretty sure that's what degraded my discs from bad to 1mm nonexistent. It was already happening, but it spead it up.

Moderation, I guess. I wonder what 2 rounds a year would do for relief. Something I bet
I want something just to get me to surgery. Right now can't walk and I need to at least be present at work, right now I can't. Not screwing around with this. I have to be functional by Summer. A friend of mine former MMA fighter saw the doc I'm going to. He had ALIF S1-L3 fused. Was back in the gym squatting (light) in 3 months. He's about 3 yrs post op, doing great. I agree with GF, don't need the EQ, T and maybe some ND is it and 300 mg/wk total. No AIs, E2 is absolutely necessary for building bone.

Kosher Fried

Kosher Fried

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2011
I want something just to get me to surgery. Right now can't walk and I need to at least be present at work, right now I can't. Not screwing around with this. I have to be functional by Summer. A friend of mine former MMA fighter saw the doc I'm going to. He had ALIF S1-L3 fused. Was back in the gym squatting (light) in 3 months. He's about 3 yrs post op, doing great. I agree with GF, don't need the EQ, T and maybe some ND is it and 300 mg/wk total. No AIs, E2 is absolutely necessary for building bone.
Everything you said about your buddy seems right. You can make it back to the gym in 3 months with a lot of progress on physical therapy. I have 6 weeks of it starting today then I'll be released to do whatever.. Which puts me at just about 4 months.

But if you're that bad off already shots won't do shit. I'd go to a good neurosurgeon (not ortho) for the surgery. Alif is fine. There's several fusion methods, and a good neuro will use the one next suited to you.

It took me 6 weeks to get the surgery from consult to surgery date. Not because my surgeon was booked, but because the hospital had to have time and a room available, so you're at the facility's mercy.

I wanted to fucking die those 6 long weeks.

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
Everything you said about your buddy seems right. You can make it back to the gym in 3 months with a lot of progress on physical therapy. I have 6 weeks of it starting today then I'll be released to do whatever.. Which puts me at just about 4 months.

But if you're that bad off already shots won't do shit. I'd go to a good neurosurgeon (not ortho) for the surgery. Alif is fine. There's several fusion methods, and a good neuro will use the one next suited to you.

It took me 6 weeks to get the surgery from consult to surgery date. Not because my surgeon was booked, but because the hospital had to have time and a room available, so you're at the facility's mercy.

I wanted to fucking die those 6 long weeks.
I get the epidural tomorrow, we'll see if it does anything. I friend is loaning me his electric stim, he used for sciatica. I talked to the neurosurgeon yesterday, same guy that did my friend. He said try the shot. I see him on Jan 11th to set up surgery. Probably March. That's a long fucking time when you're in pain.

Kosher Fried

Kosher Fried

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2011
I get the epidural tomorrow, we'll see if it does anything. I friend is loaning me his electric stim, he used for sciatica. I talked to the neurosurgeon yesterday, same guy that did my friend. He said try the shot. I see him on Jan 11th to set up surgery. Probably March. That's a long fucking time when you're in pain.
Brother I feel ya. July is when my vertebrae popped out of place and things got way worse after that on top of the herniated and degenerated discs.. By Sept 1st I couldn't walk 2 steps on a treadmill anymore. So I set up surgery consult for mid Sept, and earliest they could get me in was 10/31

So 2 months of please don't let me wake up in the morning later.... Finally got relief after 12-14 days of blurred hell post op.

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
Brother I feel ya. July is when my vertebrae popped out of place and things got way worse after that on top of the herniated and degenerated discs.. By Sept 1st I couldn't walk 2 steps on a treadmill anymore. So I set up surgery consult for mid Sept, and earliest they could get me in was 10/31

So 2 months of please don't let me wake up in the morning later.... Finally got relief after 12-14 days of blurred hell post op.
I'm on it bc I knew this day would come, had thought I'd get to surgery in the best shape possible next Fall, but the universe would not allow it. Will see how the shot goes today and get surgery scheduled next week. Just think about a time years ago when there was no fix for this, no surgery options. Go out to an empty farm field and put a bullet in your head, that was the only cure for the pain.

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
Got the epidural yesterday. The doc nailed it, felt like a lightening bolt going down my leg on the L5 track, then the injection felt like my leg was going to explode. A white knuckle ride for sure. Once the lidocaine wore off I was back to some pain but less than before. He told me it would take several days. I was able to use the stepper for 2 min before having to stop vs 10 seconds before. Light arm workout and on my feet for several hours with some sitting. Better overall at least for now, will be very careful. Have a nasty case of the hiccups from the shot, not common but reported in the lit.

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
Met the surgeon on Wed. Said I would be in a brace for 3 months, unless I'm taking a shower. Can do any activity of daily living with the brace on. He said no weight restriction but not to strain. Said the 10 lb restriction was bullshit made up by someone at some point and became fact. After 3 months the brace comes off and I can start back in the gym slowly, only walking until then. At 6 months he said I should be ready for bungee jumping (not a consideration even with a good back for me). Back to work with the brace as soon as I'm off pain meds and can drive. He doesn't do PT or rehab. He said I'll know my limitations. This is the guy that had my buddy back in the gym squatting at 12 weeks with the S1-L3 fusion ALIF. Waiting to be scheduled for surgery. Currently back in the gym and being very careful, nothing that axial loads or twists but able to keep some lean mass intact. Can't walk but recumbent bike is no problem. Pain level the same, epidural didn't last more than 3 days. Hiccups stopped at 24 hrs and was brutal. Wouldn't wish this shit on anyone.

Reactions: 5.0
Kosher Fried

Kosher Fried

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2011
Got the epidural yesterday. The doc nailed it, felt like a lightening bolt going down my leg on the L5 track, then the injection felt like my leg was going to explode. A white knuckle ride for sure. Once the lidocaine wore off I was back to some pain but less than before. He told me it would take several days. I was able to use the stepper for 2 min before having to stop vs 10 seconds before. Light arm workout and on my feet for several hours with some sitting. Better overall at least for now, will be very careful. Have a nasty case of the hiccups from the shot, not common but reported in the lit.
Jesus. At least they'd have me under twilight sleep when they did it. Then they started doing full under (which I thought was unnecessary... But just a local? Yowch.

Kosher Fried

Kosher Fried

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2011
Met the surgeon on Wed. Said I would be in a brace for 3 months, unless I'm taking a shower. Can do any activity of daily living with the brace on. He said no weight restriction but not to strain. Said the 10 lb restriction was bullshit made up by someone at some point and became fact. After 3 months the brace comes off and I can start back in the gym slowly, only walking until then. At 6 months he said I should be ready for bungee jumping (not a consideration even with a good back for me). Back to work with the brace as soon as I'm off pain meds and can drive. He doesn't do PT or rehab. He said I'll know my limitations. This is the guy that had my buddy back in the gym squatting at 12 weeks with the S1-L3 fusion ALIF. Waiting to be scheduled for surgery. Currently back in the gym and being very careful, nothing that axial loads or twists but able to keep some lean mass intact. Can't walk but recumbent bike is no problem. Pain level the same, epidural didn't last more than 3 days. Hiccups stopped at 24 hrs and was brutal. Wouldn't wish this shit on anyone.
Your post op is VERY similar to mine, including getting the brace off (mine was at month 2).

10lbs weight restriction absolutely for a few weeks or even a month. But Ive had to lift more on occasion. I've found at month 3 about 25 lbs is max before my lower back where the hardware is starts hurting.

Just started pt because having it is like taking gh for it. Not totally unnessary but it's showing me how a lot of my stabilizers are all but dead, and we're waking them up slowly.. So I can be in better shape than I was even before it got to the point where I needed pain meds.

But yup.. Still very similar.

Obviously 6 months out is not achievable by most because they have to work. It's just ideal.

Since I work from home I'm taking advantage of the full six months and probably 2-3 months of physical therapy

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
Jesus. At least they'd have me under twilight sleep when they did it. Then they started doing full under (which I thought was unnecessary... But just a local? Yow
In the notes for my procedure, the doc stated, "procedure was well tolerated". Sure hold really still for a couple minutes while it feels like 25 KW are run down your sciatic nerve. I was rock steady but there was considerable profanity and I was soaked with sweat when it was over. Still an interesting experience for sure.

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
Was reading about disc replacement, txt'd the neurosurgeon and asked if that was possible. He said yes, and would recommend a hybrid, fuse S1-L5 for stability, the the artificial disc (prodisc L) for L4/L5 to preserve mobility and sections above. Unless there is a contraindication for me, going that route.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic